Arenas Sits With 'Sore' Knee, Later Claims Injury Was Fake

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by truebluefan, Oct 13, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Gilbert Arenas says the knee injury that kept him out of the Wizards' preseason home opener wasn't an injury at all, but a ruse designed to get a teammate more playing time.

Washington coach Flip Saunders said before Tuesday night's game against the Atlanta Hawks that Arenas' knee was bothering him. "His knee is acting up and is a little sore, and it looks like he's going to sit this one out," Saunders said.

But after the game, Arenas revealed his scheme to get Nick Young into the starting lineup.

"I told [Young] I'd sacrifice playing tonight so he can get some time in because I know he's kind of frustrated he's not getting a chance to crack the [small forward] position, especially since we're going three guards," Arenas said, smiling. "So I told him I'll go and fake an injury or say something's wrong with me so you can start."

The plan worked, for both Young and the Wizards. Young started, played 31 minutes and scored a team-high 24 points to lead the Wizards to a 107-92 win.

Read more: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5678971