Blues fall to Blackhawks in overtime

Discussion in 'WEST: Central Division' started by truebluefan, Oct 19, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

"The Blues had held the NHL's top-leading goal scorers off the board for over 53 minutes Monday night at the United Center.

But after David Perron handed the Blues a 2-0 lead in the third period, Chicago's Marian Hossa struck for two goals 2 minutes, 31 seconds apart to tie the score.

The game then went into overtime, where the Blues oushot the Blackhawks 7-2, but Patrick Sharp netted the winner with 1 minute, 10 seconds remaining in OT for a 3-2 victory over the Blues.

If anyone thought the Blues became complacent after grabbing the two-goal lead, Blues coach Davis Payne and several players didn't agree.

"Once we got that second goal, I thought we played the kind of game we need to," Payne said. "I thought we were making some pretty good decisions and I thought we were in pretty good position."

Still, Hossa and Sharp lurked. The two entered the game tied for the NHL lead with five goals each. Hossa led the league in points with nine. When they were finished Monday, Hossa had seven goals, Sharp six, and the Blues were headed home following an 0-1-2 road trip.

In all three games, the Blues (2-1-2 overall) felt they played the style of hockey they want to, but after a poor start in Nashville, the Blues gave up 2-0 leads against both Dallas and Chicago and lost in a shootout and overtime, respectively.

"I don't think we got complacent (against Chicago), but they stepped up their level and rather than stepping up our level, we didn't exceed what they were bringing to the table," Blues forward David Backes said. "They get a few scrum goals ... things happen."

The Blues had kept Hossa and Sharp quiet all game and held a 2-0 lead midway through the third period. But with 8:25 left in the third, Blues goalie Jaroslav Halak was whistled for interference. He was called for holding the stick of Sharp."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/article_92cf700d-a4c0-5b47-a817-657b61b20021.html