(10/11/06) GDT#13: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Buffalo Sabres (Holzer Makes Leafs Debut)

Discussion in 'EAST: Atlantic Division' started by BE-LEAF-ABLE, Nov 6, 2010.

1. BE-LEAF-ABLE

BE-LEAF-ABLE Member

Carleton Univeristy Student
    7:00PM ET start on CBC's Hockey Night in Canada.

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]

The Toronto Maple Leafs continue to work on busting their slump when the host the struggling Buffalo Sabres tonight at the Air Canada Center.

The Maple Leafs have only won once in their last 8 games, and are 5-5-2 for the year.

Korbinian Holzer, orginally expected by some to make a start in Wednesday night's Shootout loss to the Washington Capitals, will dress for the buds tonight, taking the place of fellow Defenceman Carl Gunnarsson and injured Captain Dion Phaneuf.

J.S. Giguere is expected to start in goal.

Buffalo will be without Ryan Miller tonight, as the Sabres' netminder is day-to-day with a knee injury he has been suffering with since training camp. Jhonas Enroth will get the start for the club.

Maple Leafs' Projected Line-up:
    Forwards:
    Versteeg-Bozak-Kessel
    MacArthur-Grabovski-Kulemin
    Sjostrom-Mitchell-Brown
    Caputi-Brent-Orr

Defence:
    Beauchemin-Komisarek
    Kaberle-Schenn
    Lebda-Holzer

Goaltenders:
    Giguere
    Gustavsson

Sabres Projected Line-up:
    Forwards:
    Hecht-Roy-Pominville
    Vanek-Connolly-Stafford
    Ennis-Gaustad-Kaleta
    McCormick-Niedermayer-Grier

Defence:
    Morrison-Myers
    Leopold-Montador
    Sekera-Rivet

Goaltenders:
    Enroth
    Lalime

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. RookieS2

RookieS2 Member

Student
    Re: (10/11/06) GDT#13: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Buffalo Sabres (Holzer Makes Leafs Deb

Good luck Leafs.

3. BE-LEAF-ABLE

BE-LEAF-ABLE Member

Re: (10/11/06) GDT#13: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Buffalo Sabres (Holzer Makes Leafs Deb

Thanks RookieS2.

This is a MUST WIN game. Miller is out, so Toronto now has no excuses to lose to the Sabres. (it's always been about the "hot goaltending" at the other end of the ice).

Losing this game would be unacceptable.

Your Canucks are playing tonight as well. Should be a dandy.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  4. RookieS2

RookieS2 Member

Student

Yeah,Canucks are playing too.I love Hockey night in Canada on CBC,lol.

5. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

I agree Be-Leaf, no Miller, no excuse. We need to win this one, and I expect it to be won in a high scoring fashion.

4-1 Leafs is my prediction.

Go Leafs Go!!!

6. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

My FSN feed was out, so I flipped on the shoot out...When did Giguere start playing for the Leafs? (I dont really pay attention to crappy teams)

7. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

After the playoffs.

8. BE-LEAF-ABLE

BE-LEAF-ABLE Member

There were some big trades on January 31st last season: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308479

As for the loss... inexcusable. Simply put: They choked. This was one of those games where the absence of a Dion Phaneuf is highlighted. Both Sabres' goals were by players standing unattended beside the goal, and this is the kind of goal Toronto has gotten the ire of Leafs nation for the last 5 years.

Looks like some thing never change. Hopefully He returns.

That being said, the top line hasn't been spectacular. I'm glad that they've become the 2nd line for now. That's one of the few good moves Wilson has made. John Mitchell played surprisingly well though. That's what happens when he actually sticks to his role, which is that of a 3rd or 4th liner.

Nice debut for Holzer as well. 12:46 of ice-time and we hardly even noticed him. Solid debut. Hopefully he stays when Phaneuf returns.

Next up are the Lightning on Tuesday, but I don't think they'll take the 2 points there. Tonight was the night to win, and they didn't. There are some teams they just can't compete with, and they have to take what they can against the ones that they should. A loss like this hurts teams like Toronto more than it would hurt a team like Detroit.

I'll give credit to Buffalo though. They started off sluggishly, but once they saw Toronto relaxing they knew they were ripe for the picking. They wanted it more, and got the points they deserved. Enroth was also solid. Great win for him.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010