Bruins' Mark Stuart has broken hand

Discussion in 'EAST: Atlantic Division' started by truebluefan, Dec 9, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Boston Bruins defenseman Mark Stuart suffered a broken hand and will be out four to six weeks, the team said Wednesday evening.

"Mark sustained a fracture to the fourth metacarpal of his right hand [ring finger] and dislocated his fourth metacarpal phlangeal joint," Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said in a statement. "He was evaluated by Dr. Matt Leibman at Newton-Wellesley Hospital and is expected to miss approximately four to six weeks."

It was initially assumed that Stuart suffered the injury Tuesday night against the Sabres since he started the game before leaving in the first period. But on Thursday, Stuart told the media that he actually suffered the injury last week in the Bruins' 8-1 win over the Lightning. He played Saturday against the Leafs and tried to play through it against the Sabres, but eventually had to leave the game.

"It was sore," Stuart told the media Thursday when recounting when he injured the hand and finger. "We took X-rays after [last] Thursday's game and they were negative. So we just decided to see how it felt, then look at it in a couple days. It was sore, so I taped it up for Toronto and it wasn't feeling good. So we actually planned to get X-rays again after the game on Tuesday. My third shift, all I did was make a pass and it just caved in. It was just hanging on by a thread, I think."

Read more: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl/news/story?id=5899513