It's a new season...

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by BALLAHOLLIC, Oct 5, 2006.

1. BALLAHOLLIC

BALLAHOLLIC Member

Re: It's a new season...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Never in the annals of Raptor history has a team that's done so little been so anxiously awaited.Coming off a 27-win season, and a fourth straight non-playoff year, the Raptors begin training camp this week awash with optimism thanks to a remarkable makeover undertaken by new president and general manager Bryan Colangelo.Nine new players will meet the media today in Toronto and start practice tomorrow in Waterloo ? including No.1 overall selection Andrea Bargnani ? as Colangelo's great experiment finally unfolds.With a new point guard (T.J. Ford), a new centre (Rasho Nesterovic) and a passel of European-trained players (Bargnani, Jorge Garbajosa, Anthony Parker), the change in manpower is almost as stark as the change in atmosphere.A team that's had no success in almost half a decade now expects to challenge for the playoffs."I think they understand with Bryan's reputation and the things we've stood for in the past two years ? even though we haven't won, I think we've created an environment to win," head coach Sam Mitchell said last week. "That's something Bryan and I and Wayne (Embry, Colangelo's adviser and the Godfather of the organization) and Maurizio (Gherardini, Colangelo's chief lieutenant) talk about all the time. Before you can win, you have to have an environment conducive to winning; it's not just going to happen."We had a lot of things to clean up."And the clean up has been welcomed by the team's long-suffering fans. Officials report a surprisingly high number of season-ticket renewals and new sales and the buzz ? not only in Toronto but around the league in general ? is unprecedented."On paper, we've improved our team, obviously the proof is once we start playing and get on the floor," said Mitchell."But most of our guys have been early working out together, getting to know each other."I can't wait till (tomorrow)."Neither can a lot of people.</div>FIVE ISSUES TO WATCH1. Sam Mitchell's contractThe coach is going into the third year of a three-year deal. While he's had nothing but public support from president and GM Bryan Colangelo, Mitchell will be under scrutiny. His players swore by him last year but the Raps won 27 games and that won't be good enough this time around.2. Team chemistryIt's difficult in the NBA to successfully absorb three or four new players into a lineup in a single season. How are the Raptors going to mesh with nine new guys? Sure, some won't play much but how a group gets along off the court is often as important as how it operates on it.3. T.J. Ford's impactThe Raptors gave up a lot (Charlie Villanueva) to get the whippet-quick young point guard and there's no question he's expected to put his stamp on the team. Raps have never had a player this fast running the team and teammates will have to keep up with him if they are to be successful. But he's also small ? 6-0 and about 165 pounds ? and how he holds up physically will be a concern.4. Jose Calderon's shootingAs a rookie, Jose Calderon started hot but cooled considerably after hurting his foot. Particularly worrisome was his weak jump shooting ? something he must correct or his NBA career will be short. And if he's not a solid backup to T.J. Ford, who will be? It's a compound problem for the Raps if Calderon struggles.5. Andrea Bargnani's developmentThe No. 1 overall pick from Italy is not only adapting to a new league and style of play, but also to a new country. Early returns say the 20-year-old 7-footer has all the tools, but how quickly he will be able to contribute to an NBA team is unclear.http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...ol=970081593064

2. pmac34

pmac34 BBW Member

1. who cares, hes a sh*tty coach2. I agree, im asking the same thing3. dont worry about TJ4. he'll never be a great shooter, but improving on his mid range game would do him really good this year.also, Fred Jones is a very servicable backup PG5. hes developmental this year

3. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

regarding the pointguard situation we have Roko Ukric somewhere in the mix, he'll probably play with the Raptors next season. I dont nearly know enough about Roko but from what Iv been reading from scouts hes going to be really good, and also my friend had a chance to watch him play in a NBA exhibition game over in Europe and he said Roko was like the catalyst to the team...some team from Barcolona I think

4. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

I doubt Roko comes over next season. We're already covered. We've got TJ, Jose, and Darrick Martin.

5. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

Roko wanted out of his contract so he could play with us this year. I would rather have Roko backing up TJ then Calderon and Darrick Martin is just there as a mentor, hes one of those locker room guys.

6. wolverine30

wolverine30 BBW Elite Member

Why would you rather have Roko Ukic than Calderon. Jose Calderon is a very experienced European player who is a true point guard who looks to pass first. If you have watched Roko Ukic play in Europe with Tau Ceramica, you could see that he looks to shoot 1st which isin't what the Raptors need right now. They need point guards that look to pass 1st and they have those in Calderon and TJ to give Bosh and Bargnani touches. Roko should get more experience in Europe 1st before he comes to the NBA. He is about 20 years old only and wouldn't get playing time with the Raptors this year if he came. Heck, he didn't even start for Tau Ceramica!