Draft Jimmer Fredette?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by D-Rock, Jan 7, 2011.

1. D-Rock

D-Rock Active Member

I've read some talk about drafting Kemba Walker to fill the void at PG, but I'm curious if any of you have opinions about Jimmer Fredette at BYU? He's definitely a shoot-first PG, averaging 25.1 pts, 3.4 rebs, and 4.4 asts per game and has ridiculous range (I'm talking hitting 30 footers).

Since it's unlikely Walker will be available when the Blazers have their pick unless the NO deal gives us a lottery pick, Fredette looks like a decent alternative. Then again, Patty has been playing well as of late, so maybe we don't need to look for a PG in the draft. Thoughts?

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=13899514&nid=272

2. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Fredette is projected as a middle second rounder. I'd rather have Nolan Smith or Brandon Knight if it means blowing a mid-first round pick on (yet another) point guard.

This nugget from his draftexpress profile ought to give any one pause

3. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Fredette doesn't translate to the pros. He's enjoyable to watch in college though. I loved his 40 point outing in the tourney last year against Florida.

I think we should target Josh Selby. Kind of an overlooked guard right now. Maybe we can snag him with the New Orleans pick?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  4. glazeduck

glazeduck Well-Known Member

Just say no to unathletic mormon white guys.

5. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

Danny Ainge types? ;)

Gramps...

6. GoBlazersGo

GoBlazersGo Well-Known Member

No thanks to "Jimmer," I like Demetri McCamey a whole lot better, or even Josh Selby, even though I'm not convinced he's a PG. Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker are also somewhat interesting, as PG prospects, although I suspect both are probably "combo-guards" or "scoring PG's." McCamey's being a bit overlooked right now, in my opinion--probably because he's a four-year college player--but he's a big, physical guy that can legitimately run the PG position in the half-court or an up-tempo arrangement, and also score the ball when needed (including an extremely accurate perimeter shot). If he shows the ability to defend against smaller/quicker PG's, then I think he could translate into a very solid NBA PG and a great fit with guys like Aldridge, Matthews, etc.

7. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Demetri McCamery has peaked my interesting in the past couple weeks. Haven't see a ton of him, though.

6-3 200 PG that can shoot. I'll have to check him out and really get a feel for his game.

8. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    I hear that.

9. MickZagger

UPS
    Sure, but he's a headcase with low bball IQ.

10. MickZagger

UPS
    I watched Tristan Thompson tonight against UCONN and that kid is going to be good. He might be in our draft range too with New Orleans continuing to slip.

11. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Hmm, interesting.

- DraftExpress

Looks like I'll have to check him out for myself.

Also, I wouldn't get too excited about a mid-teens pick.

12. MickZagger

UPS
    [video=youtube;_cTPso49LlE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cTPso49LlE[/video]

Mid teens pick? New Orleans is a fringe playoff team. I still think its going to be a lottery pick.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  13. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Not only is that one incident but it was a year ago. Looks like you're reaching to me.

I like how they said he was great with decision-making all year except that night, lol. Just sounds like an off night to me.

14. MickZagger

UPS
    You admittedly have not watched him play. Dude's a knucklehead.

15. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Yet I've already heard from two different places that he makes good decision and has a good basketball IQ. His assist to turnover ratio gives me another clue as well. I don't think it's just a coincidence.

As far as the NO pick, they'll make the playoffs imo and that'll mean they'll pick 15th at best. IMO it's most likely a mid-teens pick. Denver is already quitting/Melo will be gone soon and I don't think Hou/Mem have enough to make it over them. Like I said, IMO, mid-teens pick at best.

16. MickZagger

UPS
    You can't take draft sites as gospel. They said Evan Turner was the most pro ready prospect last year. They are often times wrong and they aren't scouts or anything, they're people like you and I, who sit down and watch games and then write about it.

I've watched McCamey many times. Good size, good in transition, but he's an idiot. Guys who don't have respect for coaches are the last players I want at PG running a team. Especially under a coach like Nate.

17. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just sayin'...

Ultimately I'll have to look at him myself ad get a feel for him.

18. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

If McCamey was a transcendent talent I could see taking the gamble on him in the mid first round, but I agree with MZ, a hothead with fair to middling talent (at least in NBA terms) is probably not worth the risk of a mid first round pick. If he's still around in the late first round or in the second and we have a pick then go for it.

19. GoBlazersGo

GoBlazersGo Well-Known Member

Damn man, you're lookin' for a "transcendent talent ... in the mid first round?" I wonder what the track-record is (historically) for teams finding transcendent talents after, say, pick #15 in a given draft? I'd venture a guess to say that it's not very good, depending upon the parameters. For the most part, I'm sure the transcendent talents have already been identified & selected.

McCamey's a completely different player than he was last year, in my opinion. You--not necessarily you, specifically, Nik'--can't just judge him by some 45-second youtube clip or dated scouting reports. He came into the season in great physical condition and has totally revamped his game. His minutes have actually gone down a little bit, but he's essentially maintained last season's productivity, while also becoming a much more efficient PG.

All I'm really saying is that I think this is a guy who's stock may be on the rise in the coming months.

RoyToy likes this.
  20. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Good take. I didn't necessarily buy the youtube clip either which was from last year. I thought it was kind of reaching. A player getting upset when he isn't playing well? No way!

Also, and like you said, looking for a great talent at 15 is wishful thinking. At that point you're just looking for the bpa and hope he can become a regular contributor. A good size PG that can shoot and reportedly shows good PG skills is nothing to sneeze at. We're lucky if the team even gets the 15th pick, let alone a top 10 pick for a real difference maker. My best guess is both of the Blazers' picks end up in the 15-20 range.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011