Garbajosa mentoring Bargnani

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by CB4allstar, Oct 8, 2006.

1. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>WATERLOO, Ont.?Of all the things Jorge Garbajosa will be asked to do for the Raptors this season, like set solid screens, rebound with aggression and make shots when he's open, the most significant may be something that will never show up in a boxscore or on a highlight reel.It will come in little conversations he has during games, little nuances of the game he points out to the kid standing next to him, the kid on whom so much of the team's future is resting.An NBA rookie despite his wealth of significant basketball experience, the 29-year-old Garbajosa is going to be counted on to mentor young Andrea Bargnani this season, to teach him the finer points of the game, to make sure the kid's in the right place at the right time doing the right thing.It's a significant request, especially for someone who is going to be learning the NBA game himself, but coach Sam Mitchell has decided the two Europeans are a tandem."I just think they've got a comfort zone with each other," the coach said yesterday. "Jorge is a lot more familiar with his game than a lot of guys. Garbajosa understands Andrea and he kind of puts him in a comfort zone."So, for now, Bargnani, the 20-year-old first overall draft pick from Italy, is the team's backup centre. Garbajosa, the free agent signed from the Spanish league, is the backup power forward. When you see one, you'll most likely see the other close by."I will try to take care of him, obviously, because he is my friend," Garbajosa said of Bargnani. "I have played with him, we have been together for two years (with Benetton Treviso of the Italian league). He is a very talented player, he's very smart, he doesn't need too much help. He will be one of the best players in this league."And now one of its youngest centres. While he possesses deep shooting range and solid ballhandling skills for a seven-footer, Bargnani is being tutored as a centre because Mitchell and his staff don't want to overload him with information.They figure that's his best position right now because of the matchup problems it will cause and they aren't going to give him stuff to learn about two positions. That will come later."I've got him guarding Rasho (Nesterovic, the starting centre right now) trying to get him used to the banging and boxing out a bigger guy," said Mitchell. "Instead of trying to move him around a lot, it'd probably be easier for him to know (he's) going to play (centre)."If he gets comfortable knowing he's going to guard the centres and the things he's got to do on offence, it'll probably make it a little more easier for him."One thing the Raptors want Bargnani to develop like Garbajosa is the kind of basketball instincts the 6-foot-9 Spaniard has shown this week. In the nightly scrimmages that cap each day of training camp, Garbajosa has displayed the kind of hoops IQ that can't really be taught. It's come from the 11 years he's played as a pro and the myriad Olympic and world championship games he's been in.In one glaring example earlier this week, Garbajosa saw an opening where few NBA rookies would have noticed one and put a quick move ? almost imperceptible to spectators on the sideline ? to give himself some space in which to operate.He made a strong, sharp cut into the paint, took a pass in stride, one quick dribble and a basket. It's a play that he made simply on instinct, the kind of instinct other rookies don't yet have."Yeah, this is his first year playing in the NBA but when he's on the court, you can't tell," said Mitchell. "It's IQ, just knowing how to play. He's very skilled, he's always in the right spot."A lot of the time, the "right spot" is going to be in Bargnani's ear, teaching."For me, it's nice, I know him, I know how he plays," Garbajosa said of the Italian rookie. "Playing by the side of players like him makes your life easier."</div>Here's another article on this..Interesting. Hopefully Garbajosa helps develop Bargani's game. Hopefuly Bargnani is ready for the NBA game by the time Halloween rolls around..

2. wolverine30

wolverine30 BBW Elite Member

I think it would be great if Garbajosa teaches Bargnani how to be physical because that's what he lacks. He needs to hit the weight room because I as of now I see him playing 3 and maybe a bit of 4 because he is soft. But Garbajosa is the opposite. He is a banger.

3. CB4allstar

Bargnani is 7"0, and we have Tucker, Garbajosa, Mo, Joey, etc.. playing the three. How could we fit him in there. He will be our backup centre. You dont need to be an inside force to play centre. He's there to stretch the defense out, and allow Bosh to thrive in the paint, oh, and to make some shots too.

4. wolverine30

wolverine30 BBW Elite Member

Way to soft to be a backup center. Garbajosa could never play 3. Are you stupid? He is way to slow to guard quick 3's such as T-Macs or Vince Carters. Garbajosa is a garbage man. Garbage men are 4's and 5's. That's where Garbajosa will play. Look at Dirk Nowitzki. Andrea Bargnani plays similar to Dirk kinda. Dirk doesn't play 5, he plays 4 and 3 mostly. Andrea would be killed in the post by players like Shaq and Yao.

5. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

I tend to disagree, when you think about it, the Raptors for sure have already assesed this problem, unless Sam Mitchell is a complete idiot he wont leave him until he is bulked up

6. CB4allstar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wolverine30 @ Oct 8 2006, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Way to soft to be a backup center. Garbajosa could never play 3. Are you stupid? He is way to slow to guard quick 3's such as T-Macs or Vince Carters. Garbajosa is a garbage man. Garbage men are 4's and 5's. That's where Garbajosa will play. Look at Dirk Nowitzki. Andrea Bargnani plays similar to Dirk kinda. Dirk doesn't play 5, he plays 4 and 3 mostly. Andrea would be killed in the post by players like Shaq and Yao.</div>He is 6"9 and likes to shoot the ball. He will be playing both positions. I heard that from somewhere.Dont call me stupid, because I obviously know alot more than you do.Way too soft to be the backup centre? Thats why everyone is saying that he will play Centre, right? You dont have to neccisarily be a rough player to play center.

7. 7Goat

7Goat BBW Hip-Hop Head

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CB4AllStar @ Oct 8 2006, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Dont call me stupid, because I obviously know alot more than you do.</div>I hate it when people say that... it's really annoying. But, I agree. [​IMG]