Thread: D.C. United

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. TOP #26
    EPJr is developing a reputation EPJr's Avatar Producer

Default Re: DCU

Da Luz sees golden opportunity in trade to DC United

Second-year midfielder says he never found his place in New York

The last few days have been a whirlwind for new D.C. United midfielder Austin da Luz. Shortly after riding the bench in New York’s 0-0 draw against Chivas USA on Saturday night, the second-year man learned he was getting traded to DC in exchange for an international roster slot.

“My first thought after I learned about the trade [was that] hopefully I’d be getting a greater opportunity to get some playing time,” he told MLSsoccer.com on Monday. “I think this trade is going to be a positive thing for me.”

His arrival in DC will provide much needed depth for a United side lacking healthy outside midfielders. Concussion problems have kept Santino Quaranta and Brandon Barklage sidelined, Branko Boskovic is out for the long term with his ACL tear and Fred is set to return to Australia at the end of this week.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...rade-dc-united

2. TOP #27

DC's De Rosario named MLS Player of the Month

Veteran scores three, assists two for Black-and-Red in August

NEW YORK — After collecting two MLS Player of the Week awards last month, it was perhaps no surprise that Dwayne De Rosario was voted the league's best MLS player for August.

The D.C. United attacker was named MLS Player of the Month by the North American Soccer Reporters on Thursday. It's the second time in his career he's won the award after first earning the nod in October of 2005.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...s-player-month

3. TOP #28

Player of the week

Charlie Davies named MLS Player of the Week
    North American Soccer Reporters recognize striker for hat trick performance against Chivas

D.C. United announced today that forward Charlie Davies has been named MLS Player of the Week for Week 26 by the North American Soccer Reporters. Davies scored all three of United’s goals during Saturday’s 3-0 victory against Chivas USA.

http://www.dcunited.com/press-releas...er-of-the-week

4. TOP #29

Recap: Chivas rally behind Ángel for 2-2 tie at DC United

Veteran hits twice, Kennedy stops late DeRo PK to preserve draw

WASHINGTON — Juan Pablo Ángel’s second-half brace rallied Chivas USA from two-goal hole as they drew 2-2 in the nation’s capital against D.C. United on Wednesday night.

Eleven days after the two teams last played — a 3-0 win for United — Chivas mustered a much strong effort, overcoming set piece goals from Dwayne De Rosario and Ethan White, and a late penalty miss by De Rosario, to come away with a point.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-tie-dc-united

5. TOP #30

Dwayne's World

De Rosario's hat trick stuns RSL, puts life back into D.C.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter...ake/highlights

6. TOP #31

Talking Tactics: Tracing the evolution of De Rosario's game

Canadian's talent has never changed
    but his offensive role has

Dwayne De Rosario has always done his part. Despite periodic dips in form here and there over 11 remarkable seasons, his talent has never waned.

A coach's job, then, is always to get the best from DeRo, to carefully arrange things for success. This is all tactically topical, of course, because of De Rosario’s extraordinary week, culminating in his three-goal, one-assist assault on helpless Real Salt Lake this past Saturday.

The habitual question with De Rosario is always about his optimum tactical deployment: Is he a forward, or better when stationed further back, picking up balls earlier, assisting with possession and running at defenders at higher speeds?

It’s really no different than long-standing conversations about Landon Donovan, and the debate traces back as far

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-rosarios-game

7. TOP #32

Default Re: D.C. United

Youth is served as DC United push for the playoffs
    Young back line under the microscope down the stretch

WASHINGTON – A reliance on a young defense for much of 2011 has led to some of the ups and downs this season for D.C. United, but the fun has seemingly only begun.

The microscope is about to focus even tighter on the likes of Perry Kitchen, Ethan White and Chris Korb as United look to complete their push for the playoffs, and now even the most minute of errors could cost the club their shot.

But from a young head coach to a very young back line, there’s plenty of faith they can get the job done.

“When you’re in this, and you’re in a race, it becomes much more dramatic,” head coach Ben Olsen said. “And I still think overall looking back at the season, I’m very happy with how they’ve done, and I think they’ve got some valuable experience.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-push-playoffs

8. TOP #33

D.C. United left stunned by stoppage time collapse vs. Fire
    DC coaches and players fail to come up with an explanation for crushing loss

WASHINGTON – In the span of five minutes, a sense of relief was quickly replaced by utter dejection for D.C. United.

In need of three points to keep their flickering playoff hopes alive, D.C. took a 1-0 lead in the 90th minute over the Chicago Fire, and just stoppage time separated them from a massive win in the chase for the postseason.

But as has happened so often this year, their lead was not secure even for a few stoppage time minutes. Two quick-fire strikes from the Chicago Fire left D.C. United reeling for their fourth straight loss. D.C. now has to win their final two matches and hope for help to secure a wild card berth.

“I’m gutted, absolutely,” a subdued Ben Olsen said after the game. “It’s one of the toughest losses I’ve ever taken.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...llapse-vs-fire
    Last edited by EPJr; 10-19-2011 at 08:51 AM.

9. TOP #34

De Rosario: Missing playoffs again "tough to swallow"
    Four-time MLS Cup winner misses out on postseason for third year in a row

WASHINGTON — For most of the second half, it was quite clear that D.C. United midfielder Dwayne De Rosario wasn’t operating at 100 percent. With pain in his right shin, he labored through the final 45 but still managed to score in D.C.’s 1-1 draw with Portland.

“I’ve actually been kicked in the same spot about three games in a row now, and at halftime I didn’t think I would be able to make it,” he said after the game. “Sometimes you just have to suck it up and play for your team and that’s what I tried to do.”

But it wasn’t enough. The result eliminated United from playoff contention, and De Rosario took that consequence personally.

“Another year for me that I’m not going to make the playoffs,” he said. “It’s tough to swallow, to be honest.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-tough-swallow

10. TOP #35

DCU want to extend De Rosario's contract
    United mull ways to extend DeRo's deal, exploring Davies options

WASHINGTON – While one game remains in D.C. United's 2011 campaign, big decisions lay ahead for the franchise's looming offseason.

The future of midfielder Dwayne De Rosario and forward Charlie Davies are two of the biggest decisions confronting D.C.'s front office. De Rosario has one year left – a club-held option – on his current contract, although United plan on trying to offer him a longer deal.

"We'll sit down in the coming weeks with Dwayne and his representative and our goal is to negotiate an extension," general manager Dave Kasper told reporters at training on Friday.

Since joining D.C. at the end of June, De Rosario has scored 13 goals and added seven assists. The Canadian international remains focused on Saturday's final game against Sporting Kansas City, but admitted to the importance of securing something more permanent.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...arios-contract

11. TOP #36

United's De Rosario wins first Golden Boot of his career
    DC star's 16 goals tie Wondo, but 12 assists clinch Golden Boot

Dwayne De Rosario can breathe easy now. For the first time in his glittering 11-year career, the Golden Boot is his

The veteran attacker, who entered the weekend on top of the scoring charts, did not get on the scoresheet in D.C. United’s 1-0 loss to Sporting Kansas City on Saturday, and so he was forced to wait to see if his total of 16 goals would stand.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...oot-his-career
    Last edited by EPJr; 10-25-2011 at 12:21 PM.

12. TOP #37

DC United's De Rosario in the hunt for triple crown
    Golden Boot winner guns for MLS MVP, Canadian scoring title

To say D.C. United’s Dwayne De Rosario has had a big year would is like saying the Arctic gets chilly in the winter.

The 33-year-old perennial All Star recorded 16 goals and 12 assists this season, good enough to claim the MLS Golden Boot award as top scorer. Despite his illustrious career, this year marks the first time he has earned the award.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...t-triple-crown

13. TOP #38

D.C. United Returns To Charleston
    Will try to win third consecutive Challenge Cup

Charleston Battery News Release -- www.charlestonbattery.com

Thursday, November 3, 2011

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Major League Soccer’s D.C. United will return to defend its Carolina Challenge Cup title in 2012. D.C. United claimed the 2011 tournament title with wins against the Chicago Fire, the Charleston Battery and a tie versus Toronto F.C. The 2012 Carolina Challenge Cup will be hosted by the Charleston Battery from Feb. 25 – March 3, 2012 and feature the Battery, D.C. United plus two additional teams from Major League Soccer.

The Carolina Challenge Cup is the premier preseason tournament in the United States. Each year the Battery is joined by three teams from Major League Soccer for the round-robin competition. Beginning in 2011 the tournament also featured a youth element as the MLS teams brought their USSF Academy sides to Charleston for a parallel USSF Academy tournament.

14. TOP #39

Ben Olsen Q&A - Part I
    In part I of his season review, United's Head Coach talks progress, DeRo and Boskovic

In part I of our 2011 season review with United Head Coach Ben Olsen, the Black-and-Red boss discusses his thoughts on the team's overall progress, Dwayne De Rosario, the importance of Branko Boskovic and the evolution of Charlie Davies.

http://www.dcunited.com/news/2011/11/ben-olsen-qa

Ben Olsen Q&A Part II
    In the second installment of his season review, United's Head Coach outlines 2012 plans

Following part I of Ben Olsen's 2011 review, the United boss turns his attention to the Black-and-Red's ambitions for 2012. In this portion of the interview, Olsen highlights the value of Perry Kitchen, offseason player aquisitions and lessons learned from his first full season in charge.

http://www.dcunited.com/news/2011/11...sen-qa-part-ii

15. TOP #40

Garber increasingly concerned over DC United's future

Improved lease at RFK is first goal, new venue may be eventuality

NEW YORK – Commissioner Don Garber reiterated his concerns about D.C. United’s future on Thursday, when looking ahead to the 2012 MLS season.

In his 2011 State of the League teleconference, Garber confirmed the real possibility of relocating the franchise from their expensive home at RFK Stadium.

“If they can’t get a new improved lease in D.C., they’ve got to move to another facility in the region,” Garber said. “I will be supportive of that and help them do that. If they can’t find a solution in Baltimore, then we’ll have to go through the same process as we did with San Jose to think about potentially moving the team.”

The Commissioner pointed to the franchise being one of the most decorated in the league’s history – four MLS Cups, four Supporters' Shields and two US Open Cups support this notion – and he feels United should be getting more support from local government when it comes to building a new stadium.

“I remain concerned and I’m continually frustrated,” Garber said. “This team has been an important asset for the community. It has delivered on everything that a pro sports team should be focused on. They‘ve been successful for the most part on the field and they’ve been engaged in the community.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...uniteds-future
    Last edited by EPJr; 05-02-2012 at 06:03 PM.

16. TOP #41

Earning His Spurs
    United midfielder will spend two weeks training with London giants

D.C. United's Andy Najar will begin training with EPL side Tottenham Hotspur on Monday, the club revealed on Friday.

The training stint will begin on Monday, November 28, and run through Saturday, December 10.

"We are pleased to finalize Andy's stay with Tottenham," United GM Dave Kasper said. "I think this experience will be tremendous for him. He will come away from this as a better player, and we look forward to having him back with us shortly."

Going to Europe for training has always been a strategy for getting young MLS players more experience, but this season has seemingly become even more prevalent, particularly in the wake of US national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann's comments. Klinsmann recently lamented the relative shortness of the MLS season and urged young MLSers to get more training in Europe this winter

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...tenham-hotspur

17. TOP #42

DC shore up defense by acquiring RSL veteran Russell

Young United back line gets a boost from RSL's '09 MLS Cup hero

D.C. United shored up their young defensive group with a huge veteran acquisition on Tuesday, landing right back Robbie Russell via trade with Real Salt Lake.

Russell, 32, spent the last four seasons as a valuable member of the vaunted RSL defense, starting at least 18 games each of the past three seasons. He appeared in 26 games and started 22 of those in 2011, but was left unprotected by the club during last week’s Expansion Draft and his spot in the lineup will likely be replaced by promising fullback Tony Beltran.

"Much love to all the DC fans for the great welcome!! Can't wait to play for you guys!!" Russell tweeted on Tuesday. "Thank you to all the RSL fans for the great goodbye tweets. I'm gonna miss you guys."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...eteran-russell
    Last edited by EPJr; 11-30-2011 at 04:48 PM.

18. TOP #43
    stephanieiverson is developing a reputation stephanieiverson's Avatar Soccer Fan

Quote Originally Posted by EPJr View Post
    [B]DC shore up defense by acquiring RSL veteran Russell

"Much love to all the DC fans for the great welcome!! Can't wait to play for you guys!!" Russell tweeted on Tuesday. "Thank you to all the RSL fans for the great goodbye tweets. I'm gonna miss you guys."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...eteran-russell
    he must be happy and be more cared in his new team..
    We'll surely watch new defensive power of D.C United with this man on the field..
    facebook: brazil soccer

19. TOP #44

DC United decline to exercise Charlie Davies' option
    United pass on transfer clause, but not done dealing with striker

Charlie Davies is no longer a D.C. United player. For now, at least.

D.C. United announced on Thursday that they will not exercise the Dec. 1 option for the permanent transfer of the forward from French side Sochaux. Davies had been on loan to D.C. United in 2011, holding a reported $1.3 million option to buy out his contract, according to The Washington Post.

But declining the hefty option does not mean that Davies will not have a future at the club coached by former USMNT teammate Ben Olsen.

“Conversations regarding Charlie’s future are ongoing,” D.C. general manager Dave Kasper told dcunited.com.

Although Davies becomes a Sochaux player again as of Dec. 1, D.C. United will hold onto his player rights in MLS and the club could potentially work out another loan deal with Sochaux or a transfer at a reduced price. D.C. made Davies one of their 11 protected players in last week’s Expansion Draft.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-davies-option

20. TOP #45

D.C. United got some good news yesterday in the form of support from city council member Tommy Wells, who introduced a resolution that the D.C. government “should take active steps to create strategies and solutions that keep D.C. United as a professional soccer team located within the District of Columbia.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...charlie-davies

21. TOP #46

DC United defender McTavish announces retirement
    6-year veteran helped DC to two Supporters' Shields, US Open Cup

D.C. United bid farewell to one of their longest-tenured and most versatile players on Thursday, when defender Devon McTavish announced his retirement from professional soccer.

The 27-year-old, who helped D.C. claim back-to-back Supporters’ Shields in 2006 and 2007, as well as the 2008 US Open Cup, cited health reasons as the factor.

“I feel good [about the decision],” McTavish said in a club statement. “I have to take care of my body, and after talking to a doctor, I have taken his advice. I thought long and hard about it and just decided that it’s time to quit playing the game – mostly for health reasons.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ces-retirement

22. TOP #47

Santino Quaranta announces retirement from professional soccer
    United veteran retires after 11 MLS seasons

D.C. United and Santino Quaranta announced today the veteran midfielder will retire from professional soccer. Having joined United in 2001, Quaranta’s playing career comes to an end after 11 MLS seasons.

http://www.dcunited.com/press-releas...ssional-soccer

23. TOP #48

DeLeon can't wait to play alongside idol at DC
    Louisville winger admires DeRo, honored to join historic MLS outfit

Looking to add players anywhere on the field, D.C. United could have made a number of different moves during Thursday's 2012 MLS SuperDraft in Kansas City.

As it turned out, they only made one. With the seventh overall pick, DC elected to select Nick DeLeon, an attacking midfielder from the University of Louisville who has already signed with MLS.

“We’re very excited,” assistant coach Chad Ashton told MLSsoccer.com. “He’s an outstanding player, a real attacking-oriented player. Strong, powerful, he’s been on a very successful college team, and he’s had a lot to do with that.”

DeLeon joins DC after two standout seasons with the Cardinals, during which he scored 14 goals and added nine assists. In 2010, he was part of Louisville’s run to the NCAA championship game, but they lost to Akron in the final

http://www.dcunited.com/news/2012/01...ide-idol-at-dc
    Last edited by EPJr; 05-02-2012 at 06:04 PM.

24. TOP #49

DC add striker Maicon Santos to bolster strength up top
    Brazilian split time between Toronto, FC Dallas last season

D.C. United added some much needed punch to their stable of forwards on Wednesday, as the club announced it has signed former FC Dallas and Toronto FC forward Maicon Santos.

The 27-year old Brazilian joined the league in 2009 as a member of Chivas USA. Per MLS and club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“We’re very pleased to have Maicon as a part of D.C. United,” general manager Dave Kasper said in a statement. “He is a big, solid target forward that will fit well into our system of play and complement the group of players already on our roster.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...r-strength-top
    Last edited by EPJr; 05-02-2012 at 06:04 PM.

25. TOP #50

VIDEO Preseason training session: Day 1
    Highlights and interviews from United's first day of training

http://www.dcunited.com/video/2012/0...aining-session

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information