Rf1's Offseason Recap / Season Preview

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by Roaming, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

Re: Rf1's Offseason Recap / Season Preview

I did one like this on a raptors forum:Getting hyped about Raptors this season? Read this to catch up with all the things that happened with the Raptors this season!Last Years Record: 27-55Key Losses: Charlie Villeneuva, Matt Bonner, Alvin Williams, Key Additions: Andrea Bargnani, T.J Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, Fred Jones, Jorge Garbajosa, Anthony Parker, Maurizio Gherardini (Raptors VP, and Assistant GM)Before I Start, I would like to post all of the Raptor's Offseason moves, so no one gets confused :DFebruary 27, 2006: Brian Colangelo resigns from his position with the Suns,February 28, 2006: Brain Colangelo is announced Raptors GM and PresidentJune 8, 2006: Raptors Acquire Kris Humphries & Robert Whaley for AraujoJune 21, 2006: Raptors Acquire Nesterovic for Bonner, Williams & Future Second Round PickJune 22, 2006: Raptors Name Gherardini To Basketball Staff June 27, 2006: Raptors Name Marc Eversley Director of Basketball OperationsJune 27, 2006: Raptors Exercise Third-Year Options on Villanueva & GrahamJune 30, 2006: Raptors Acquire TJ Ford in Exchange for VillanuevaJuly 1, 2006: Raptors Sign First-Round Pick Andrea BargnaniJuly 13, 2006: Raptors Sign Anthony Parker July 14, 2006: Bosh Extends with Raptors | July 24, 2006: Raptors Sign Jorge GarbajosaJuly 25, 2006: Raptors Sign 2006 Second Round Pick P.J. TuckerJuly 26, 2006: Raptors Release Alvin WilliamsJuly 26, 2006: Raptors Sign Fred JonesJuly 27, 2006: Raptors Sign 2005 Second Round pick Uros SlokarThe BeginningThe morning of February 28, 2006, that morning, the Raptors were changed forever. Everything that happened in the past 3-5 years were almost put behind everyone. That morning, the Raptors announce that Former NBA Executive of The Year <u>Brian Colangelo</u> was going to be their new GM, and President. So many thoughts, so much speculation, will he move this lowly franchise past its losing woes?From this point and on, people wanted to talk Raptors Ball, people appreciated the team, who they were, and what there goals were. People were immediate to think the best was yet to come. How right they were, because had a lot up his sleeve for this team.The First Movebecause's first move was to trade Rafael Aruajo. He shipped him off to the Utah Jazz for Kris Humphries and Robert Whaley, two big defensive presences. Rafael Aruajo was a fan favourite but despised by many, Colangelo said himself, "Last year the raptors had many people who shouldn't have been in the starting lineup" The first player that came to my mind was Araujo, but let's not hate on the player, he has had a tough time and I hope the best for him Utah. Just a little tidbit though, in his 111 career games Araujo career averages were: 2.9 points, 3.0 rebounds and 12.0 minutes.Then because addressed the HUGE problem they had with the Center position. For Eric Williams, fan favourite Matt Bonner for Spurs center Rasho Nesterovic. A sigh of relief came from most of us. We finally had a center! But at the cost of Matt "The Red Rocket" Bonner known for his redhead and his sharp shooting. because showed he wasnt afraid to make a sacrifice or two for his team. Little did he know, people would know that a little bit better later on.Let the Games BeginThen the frenzy started, from June 8 2006 to July 27 2006 because went crazy. The Raptors acquired their International flavour and some more. <u>Draft Day</u>It was time for because to show what he was made of. Everyone was anxious to see what because would do. With getting the first pick a few days earlier because was very optimistic to excersise his options. And with the first pick in the 2006 NBA Draft the Raptors select....Andrea Bargnani!. What a mixed reaction it was from the crowd. Was this really the worst pick for this franchise? Bargnani was anxious to get to it, and proved everyone wrong. It was a long night for Bargnani filled with questions, media, reporters and so much more.<u>The AfterMath</u>After a major trade that kind of worried me and other raptor fans . because made what is arguably the hardest move for because to make. He traded Charlie Villeneuva. In exchange the raptors aquired "pass-first" point gaurd T.J Ford. The first PG we have had like him since Alvin Williams. One thing that concerned the Raptors was his back problem, but the Raptors decided to take the risk.Then came Anthony Parker from Maccabi Tel Aviv, he was to be our SG, and since the loss of VC, raptors were in need of one. With the Mike James frenzy, him leaving the raptors in search of money, this was another good move. Mike James many times last year would move over to the Shooting Guard position to help the raptors with their scoring and help Calderon find scoring options. More good karma came from because and excitement was beginning to brew.Most people forgot about him, the franchise player, the building block, Chris Bosh who decided to extend his contract with the Toronto Raptors. Bosh was finally locked up for good. The right move at the right time. Chris Bosh was the future of this franchise no doubt about it, sealing his future with the Raptors opened many more doors for the Raptors. He was very excited that he landed this deal, with best friend T.J Ford by his side, Bosh was as ready as ever.Last but not least of the Internation players, was the spanish forward Jorge Garbajosa, former teammate of Jose Calderon, Garbajosa was a big body and a scoring threat in the front court to aid Bosh and Nesterovic in their efforts. Jorge Garbajosa has contributed toward winning at every stop in his professional career, said Bryan Colangelo. The future was looking good for the raptors, but because wasnt done just yet.Then came another hard move for because. Alvin Williams, fan favourite from the beginning was released. His efforts in Toronto were numerous, but all of it ended with a broken knee. Many were dissapointed to see him leave, and so was he. I have the greatest respect for Alvin Williams, both as a basketball player and as a human being, said Bryan Colangelo how right he was, and the same respect was from the fans at Toronto. But as the Raptors needed to move on, so did Alvin Williams.Then with recently losing the deal with sixers gaurd John Salmons, because made one more key move. Fred Jones, popular with his high flying dunk abilities was aquired. With the new up tempo style because made, he would fit right in. Just the athletisism needed for the franchise. Much expecations from the Pacers gaurd are going to be key in motivating him to play the best as he can for the Raptors.Another key move (off court) was signing Maurizio Gherardini as Raptors VP, and Assistant GM, his internation flavour would aid in helping the new players develop in this league. Something the raptos lacked in having staff that could take basketball in the past years wast finished. The rest was up to the players to deliver.<u>Thoughts on the Next Season:</u>I think our main weakness is our center position, RN is a good fill in for now, but not good enough. Bargnani will be a positive effort off the bench, but will take a while to develop in the NBA.Another weakness is the youngness and the inexperience of many players on this team, many are new to the NBA, and are new to the American style of Basketball. This young franchise are beginning to remind me of the Baby Bulls now [​IMG].Also another weakness is the fact that all of these players have to get a feel of playing together as a team on the court, new players and new style of play needs A LOT of teamwork.EDITE: Sry another weakness [​IMG]. Is our defense, last year as well as averaging 101 pts, they gave up 103 pts I would like to see an improvement there.Hopefully they will adjust and not get called on every other little foul by the refs here and there!_________________________________________________________________Our main strength would have to be our depth and our running game. Many of the new players love to run, and with T.J Ford dishing the ball to the open man, expect the Raptors to run run run. Also expect to see the front court to help Chris Bosh this season in scoring. The positive vibe coming from the bench is also a force to be reckoned with this season. No more day to day fill ins at the starting positions for Sam Mitchell.My predictions see that Chris Bosh makes the all star game once again, T.J Ford getting some serious minutes in crunch time, Andrea Bargnani proving many criticts wrong, Jose Calderon pitching in and helping Ford out alot, and Morris Peterson having a breakout year, his our starting SF hopefully and is one of the best defensive players on this team.I also predict that the fans will be excited like crazy, cheering on their team at every games.Predicted Record: 41-41^^Those were my 2 cents on the raptors, if I left out anything sorry, and I hope I didnt make any grammatical errors! I kind of wrote alot and hope y'all enjoy! Hope I filled it in all right, please dont be too critical is my first artical [​IMG] Go Raptors Go!Courtesy of Yours Truly RF1

2. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

Nice review RF1, maybe a little review of every player on the roster would be nice but overall it was good. Keep up the good job.

3. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

thnks BCB countless hours spent reading reviews and opinions [​IMG]