Blazers deal Spurs 8th loss behind LaMarcus Aldridge's career-high 40 points

Discussion in 'San Antonio Spurs' started by truebluefan, Feb 2, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

As Portland forward LaMarcus Aldridge was leaving the court following the Trail Blazers' 99-86 victory over the NBA-leading Spurs, San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich reached out to shake his hand.

Aldridge had a career-high 40 points along with 11 rebounds to hand the Spurs just their eighth loss of the season.

"He never shook my hand before, so I'll take that as a good sign," Aldridge said.

Aldridge is among several players, including Minnesota's Kevin Love and Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers, who are awaiting word whether they will be going to the All-Star Game on Feb. 20. Reserves for both teams, based on a vote by the league's coaches, will be announced on Thursday.

Aldridge is averaging 25.7 rebounds and 10.3 point per game since Dec. 15. On Tuesday night against the Spurs he was unstoppable.

"I think we held him to 40," Popovich said chuckling. "I stopped counting after a while.

Gary Neal's 3-pointer for San Antonio tied it at 78, but Aldridge's layup and Wesley Matthews' scoop gave Portland its biggest lead of the game so far at 82-78 with 7:03 left.

Read more: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=310201022