2011 All Star Weekend Thread

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Sex Panther, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Sex Panther

Sex Panther works every time.

Ask.
    Surprised we didn't have one? Couple of thoughts on the dunk contest:

- Am I the only one who thought Blake Griffin's dunks weren't that great? The very first attempt on his very first dunk (had he made it) was absolutely beast. The one he made though was average, nothing special. The dunk over the car was a joke.

Meanwhile, DeMar DeRozan got completely gypped by the judges. So he takes 5 attempts at his east bay funk remix and he gets a 44 (when that was more like a 47 but whatever)? Then Griffin takes the same amount of attempts and completes a far inferior windmill only to receive a 46? lol thats a joke.

- DeMar's showstopper dunk was ridiculous. Javale McGee's two-ball dunk was crazy, but his three-ball dunk was just OK.

- A Griffin vs. DeMar finals would have been better but the fan-vote finals is stupid. I didn't even need to watch that round to know that Blake would win it.

2. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    McGee had a stupid second dunk, raise the rim if you want to let people know how high you can dunk. DeMar got totally disrespected.

After watching James White I feel like I'm spoiled when it comes to free throw line dunks. But Blake was no where close to impressive, the gospel was just silly. Only my gospel counts. :D

Yeah the public is pretty emotional and the format needs to be tweaked. I don't really care what the average fan thinks, get a panel of semi-experts that take a look at a few replays.

3. Sex Panther

Ask.
    Also, I just listened to Aldridge with Lebron and Rose (ahh....what could have been :() and Lebron made a great point, that East lineup has got to be the fastest, quickest, most athletic lineup ever (Rose, Wade, Lebron, Amare, Dwight), yikes.

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

To be honest that was one of the best dunk contests I can remember as far as innovation and just number of new, impressive dunks from top to bottom.

But Griffin's dunks all stood out as clearly the least impressive. The alley oop arm in the rim dunk was pretty damn good but the rest sucked. Hype machine was insane for him and DeRozan and Ibaka got totally overlooked despite much better dunks. Griffin won on hype and had no business even moving on to the finals.

I'm not a fan of props and ridiculous gimmicks to hype up dunks but at the same time I feel like Vince Carter and Jason Richardson pretty much did all the dunks humanly possible as far as dunking with just a ball and a rim goes. They had to change the format but its hard not to complain about it. Dwight's superman thing was actually pretty entertaining and funny but now guys just bring out arbitrary props because it somehow improves their score. All the failed attempts at dunks really deflate all of the excitement too.

Side note: I love that TNT has given up on analysis and just gone with 100% entertainment factor. That's not sarcasm either. We all know Chuck and Kenny are god awful analysts. But even the better "analysts" you see on TV pretty much suck too. A lot of the color commentators are great but I'm more talking about the guys on the pre/post game shows, and ESPN bball shows/segments. Chuck and Kenny are even worse than everyone else on TV as far as analysis but they're damn entertaining and its much more entertaining knowing that they're not trying to pass this shit as legitimate basketball analysis. Its laid back, its really damn funny, their bickering with one another and ripping on random players/teams is awesome. They get the other semi-legitimate guys at TNT in on it too (Reggie Miller making fun of Kenny Thomas' gut was fuggin hilarious). You know when you watch Stuart Scott and whoever the hell else is on ESPN's bball panel that you're just going to hear these guys state the obvious and use cliches, say nothing insightful, and they'll throw in come corny ass jokes. I've long since come to grips with the fact that none of the analysts are insightful so why not just go for entertainment? Seems like TNT just let Chuck and Kenny go wild with their stream of consciousness- and I love it.

5. Sex Panther

Ask.
    I agree.

I dont care what anyone says, I love Chuck and Kenny.

I just find it dumb to have fans vote when I was 100% sure they'll vote for Blake because he's....Blake.

6. Sex Panther

Ask.
    Also, JRich was such an underrated dunker. Had he pulled off some of the dunks he had attempted (360 through the legs, 360 honeydip, wtff), he would be the best dunker behind Vince.

He just never had the power Vince had with his dunks.

7. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Ginobili seriously just flopped in the ASG. He's pathetic.

8. Run BJM

I'm a J-Rich lover but I'd say hes the second best dunk contest dunker of all time, behind VC. He didn't have much of a reputation because he wasn't much of an in-game dunker but he was nuts in the dunk contest. He was unique because he could really only jump off of two feet, dunno how thats possible but he somehow made the NBA never being a natural one-footed leaper. This was a factor in why he really doesn't get many crazy dunks in games but doing everything off two feet makes him very explosive in the contest when hes got time and space to gather himself.

Looking back at their dunk contest highlights it makes me forget how much of an art the dunk contest used to be. VC and J-Rich did amazing dunks but what made them unbelievable was their form. VC's dunks just look so pretty because he glides and finishes so clean. J-Rich always has perfect extension. And man it was a lot better when they had limited attempts and no one knew what was coming and then boom, they'd land this amazing dunk you'd never seen before and capture the moment. Here's a mash up of both of them but if you watch smaller individual clips with the original audio its fun hearing the reactions of Chuck and Kenny and the fans and even seeing the old format where there was no ridiculous gimmicks. It was really a dunk contest, no "pageantry" as Kenny put it last night.

[video=youtube;_kxd3xyiGtI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kxd3xyiGtI&feature=related[/video]

9. Run BJM

Don't you love the NBA:
    [video=youtube;mNxiWES8G0o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNxiWES8G0o[/video]

10. Sex Panther

Ask.
    funny enough, he came up with the biggest gimmick of all last night

11. Run BJM

Well hes of the belief that the pageantry is a good thing. Like I said, if they didn't change it up we'd all be bored off our asses saying VC and J-Rich already did these dunks. But looking back at those clips makes you long for a real contest where guys were dunking to win not making arbitrary gimmicks accompanied by a so-so dunk. And I'm not totally against the gimmicks, some are good when done well, but many are totally random and don't really add anything. DeRozan got totally ignored even though his actual dunks were some of the most skilled/impressive ones. He was dunking like VC and J-Rich were, with no props and just a pure, insane dunk. But because he didn't throw in some sideshow he got completely ignored.

12. Sex Panther

Ask.
    DeRozan's showstopper dunk was crazzyy, reminded me of Jordan's showstopper, but better.

13. Sex Panther

Ask.
    Wade injured, whats new.

14. 2muchheat

2muchheat New Member

What was that stuff that some of the dudes were wearing that looked kinda like a band-aid?