Kobe Looked Old

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by lakerman24, Feb 21, 2011.

1. lakerman24

lakerman24 Member

I'm a HUGE Laker fan, but some reality set in last night.

Kobe led the game in points AND in rebounds. The young guys let him go, the Legend playing in front of his home crowd, for probably the last time in an All Star Game.

You felt the sentiment throughout the game. Every player on BOTH teams have the utmost respect for Kobe. Mission for the West? Give Kobe the MVP.

We all know, the first, say, 42 minutes of the All-Star game is just a bunch of highlights and players not playing defense.

The last 6 minutes, everyone starts to get serious. LeBron turned it up, playing like the best player in the world. He brought the East in striking distance.

It was Kevin Durant, NOT Kobe Bryant, who won the game for the West with his clutch shooting. As a matter of fact, Joe Johnson did a solid job shutting down Kobe in the end of the game, forcing Kobe into turning the ball over three times when it actually became 'a real game.'

We cannot argue, as Laker fans, that Kobe, against the NBA's young elite, did, indeed, look old. His movements, his speed, his athleticism. It was all there in the beginning when it was just a game of pickup, but when it came down to it, it was the next 'best of the West,' Kevin Durant, that won the game.

Now, we move on to the regular season. Winning the MVP was a feel good moment to Kobe, Laker fans, and the entire NBA. He won it in LA. The picture perfect ending to the story that was All-Star Weekend 2011. Kobe goes back to a team that is struggling, and frankly, I don't know if he can muster the will to win games like he did, say, just a year ago.

Our beloved general manager, Mitch Kupchak, seems like he's putting away The Wand for now. We should not accept any deals. We have to win with what we got, and frankly, is it REALLY enough?

Yes, it is. But, the Lakers can't expect their Great One to win games for them. Pau Gasol needs to play tough, he needs to play hungry. Andrew Bynum needs to realize that he can OWN the paint and demolish his opponents night in and night out. Lamar Odom needs to build up more tenacity than he has ever played with. Ron Artest needs to realize that the second half of the season could be a new beginning for him. He needs to be the Artest of 2010.

If the Lakers are going to accomplish the THREEpeat, everybody else needs to step up. You know to expect our leader, Kobe Bryant, to give it all he's got, that's what great ones do. But this time around, Kobe Bryant alone is not enough.

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

:lol: Okay.

3. lakerman24

lakerman24 Member

You didn't think that he looked like a Grandpa compared to all the other All-Stars?

I'm just saying, I feel like last night was evidence that Kobe isn't good enough anymore to will our team to victory. We need younger pieces.

Over at TLN, one guy (who didn't even know how to formulate a proper sentence) accused me of drinking "Charles Barkley Kool-Aid," but I honestly don't know if Kobe DESERVED this MVP award.

Also, if this Kobe is our best player, a championship will only happen if it's the SURROUNDING players that dominate the game. Kobe isn't capable of putting the team on his back anymore. He's simply no longer good enough.

4. Mamba

[​IMG]

Yes he did look older and slower last night, but that is what happens with the minutes he has logged. I don't think it is anything to be concerned about as long as he manages his body properly. I think that is why you're seeing him play such shit defense this year. He is saving his knees for the playoffs. I think it was evident last night in some of his dunks and his hang time that he still has got it in the legs, he is just saving it.

5. Mamba

I do agree that we need to get younger.

If there was any truth to the Carmelo rumors, I'm seriously pissed the fuck off @ Jim Buss for not shipping Bynum out. There were also reports that Denver asked about Gasol--I would've done that in a heart beat, as well. I'm not concerned about our struggles this year, though. We don't give a fuck about the regular season--we should, but we don't. We limped into the playoffs last year, as well.

I think we should make a few changes to the starting lineup, though. I'd like to see Blake and Barnes (when healthy) inserted and move Fish and Artest to the 2nd unit.

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

He is fuggin old. This is his 15th year in the league and he goes deep in the playoffs almost every year, plays through injuries a lot of the time, plays for team USA in the summer. Don't watch a ton of him but the defense is lacking more than the offense. Wouldn't worry too much unless hes looking beat in the playoffs but hes certainly slowing down. Still a top player in the league but you're right, you guys are getting to the point where he can't save your asses every night.

7. Mamba

Yes he can :[

I'm gonna go cry

8. Mamba

9. Mamba

10. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

Those pictures made me LOL.

11. AKIRA

AKIRA GO LAKERS!!!

more things
    i think your wrong lakerman24. i think what your thinking is largely based on the FUCKING ALLSTAR GAME! are. you. serious? sure the east starting coming back, but that had nothing to do with kobe, it had to do with the weakness of the wests bigs at that given time of the game. and if you can remember correctly, kobe was the one who gave up the ball to durant to hit the big shots. im sure kobe could have done it as well, but he gave the ball up in the end becuase, like he said, he's been there, he's had so many allstar games that he didnt need to hog the limelight.

if you saw griffen at the end of the game he was more piked than kobe, granted he has had a fuller allstar week, but he is so young and was more tired.

also, like you said, lebron began to take over a bit in the end, but he couldnt finish it off with a win.

anyway, its the allstar game. it was a good one this year, i was suprised, but it doesnt represent the kind of play that occurs in the playoffs. kobe and the lakers will be ready when it comes around, they are all used to it and know that they can accomplish a championship when they play hard. they are a team that can flick that switch, and when its regular season im sure as hell that phiul lets them know when and where to flick that switch, if anyone knows what theyre doing, its phil, so i trust him completely with the control of this team.

stop worrying about it guys, this team will be fine, kobe is not that old, he can obviously play as well, if not better than the young guns out there, and he will be able to carry this team if need be.

12. Mamba

13. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

I seen alot of younger guys look decades older than Kobe. He's lost a step, but he aint old.

Mamba likes this.
  14. Mr.Gunner

Mr.Gunner Member

Its obvious Kobe has lost a step or two, he's been in the league for so long and being the top competitor of his generation. The guys does not have the same knees and legs like he used to but he's still has the heart to compete, you won't find any better. Those all star pics are hilarious, you can tell they hatin..lol, like they're saying "hope you retire soon so I can have the spotlight"

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Anyone else see the symbolism of Kobe handing the torch to Durant by passing him the ball down the stretch?

16. Mr.Gunner

Mr.Gunner Member

Much rather see durant than Ledouche. Any day of the week.

17. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Yeah Durant has lower PER than Kobe. Ledouche is leading the league in PER again.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  18. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

LeBron's PER dropped off big time from 31.19 last year to a mortal 26.92 this year. He's declining at a rapid pace.

19. Mamba

Without trying to rile up HK here, this is some real talk...I worry about how LeBron is going to adjust his game once he hits 29, 30, 31, etc...I mean, I know he's a big body and all but he can't always just barrel his way to the rim, can he? He's got horrible fundamental skills in terms of post moves, his jumper, and his footwork. He's only 26 and I think a lot of people forget that. Is it too late for him to develop fundamental skills that will carry him when he can't rely on his strength and athleticism?

20. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Not really, he was projected at 29 PER and since the Cleveland game that has been his level. Him and Wade were terrible in November.

LeBron got through December with just his jumpshot. He was not getting to the rim much back then. Since January that has changed as well.

LeBron's eFG% on jumpers is almost 46%. That's Kobe's range the last three years.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011