OT: Live legal streams coming?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by andalusian, Feb 22, 2011.

1. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

2. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

The problem is, the NBA does have live, legal streams.... but you have to pay for them, and you can't get the games in your market area.

So WTF is the point if YouTube will operate the same?

3. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I'll just say that a certain less than legal site that got closed down is back in business under a different domain.

4. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I don't get the black-out laws of the NBA and NFL. Why should me being "able" to watch the game in the region (on CSN) make it so I can't watch it on NBAtv or league pass?

5. Klinky

Klinky Seal Of Approval

$$$

Blazers, reportedly, got $120 million for a 10yr deal with Comcast, which frankly makes the Blazers just as evil as Comcast is. FSN supposedly was only willing to give about 25% of that amount. If the NBA really cared, they should stipulate something to the effect that market area blackouts are only valid if the games are available from a local service provider, if not, then they will be available via NBA offered service such as NBA League Pass. Also would be good to stipulate that both SD & HD broadcasts must be available.

As it stands now, given the size & length of the Blazers' contract, we may not see change until something like 2017 or if Comcast gets an itch that it needs to renew the contract a few years before it expires. A lot of the blame does lie on the Blazers, the NBA & Comcast who all are guilty of being greedy at the cost of the fans.

6. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I gave up on the comcast fiasco ever getting resolved. The Blazers aren't going to do anything to get out of that deal, and it's an insult to people's intelligences when they claim they will.

7. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

8. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Only $12M per year? Comcast rips everyone off, even big guys like Paul Allen. Then they use their savings to buy NBC.

Ridiculous. If there were ANY media mergers, you'd think the 3 traditional networks would buy TV cable services, not vice versa, TV cable services buying up traditional networks.

It's just more T. Boone Pickens asset flipping. More of his skimming profits from those who labor to produce the source product. It's the networks who produce the programming, not the cable companies.

9. Klinky

Klinky Seal Of Approval

Wow, supposedly it's a 20yr deal worth... $3 billion dollars... $150 mil/yr.

Well, now that I see the Lakers deal, perhaps the Blazers did get bilked.

10. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

The Blazers deal is about what other NBA teams got, with the exception of a few. Ya, that Laker deal is CRAZY! Time Warner will hold SoCal hostage with them being the only way to watch the Lakers!

11. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I think perhaps they're figuring that they're making no money when people go to said sites to watch the games so this is a way to get some money back? I never quite understood how league pass operated on the premise that you can't watch your home team's games. Makes sense for people who have moved out of the market where their home team is but that isn't that big of a group. And then there's general NBA fans and the NBA isn't like the NFL where there are tons of fans that will watch any game.

Google doesn't charge for anything so I can't see a service where they charge to watch the games. But maybe the NBA is making dick off of league pass because everyone's watching on the illegal free sites (which won't go away). At least offering the games for free they can bombard you with commercials and people will likely prefer the official stream to a janky, illegal one. Anyway, its still the NBA so I'm sure they won't have every game up there free of charge, hell they'll probably still have the blackout restrictions applied.

12. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Comcast strategically picked on small towns first, then medium big cities like Portland. Only when the monopoly sinks into the top media cities (LA, NY) will members of the national media feel the pain, and we finally see some national articles against Comcast.

Deception. First-time subscribers don't know this.