Jaynes says in so many words "not gonna work"

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by MIXUM, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MIXUM

MIXUM Suspended

radio/mixmaster/club jock/syndication programmer
    Some random thoughts generated by Sunday night's game, which wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated:

-- Some nights, it's just not there. You almost have to walk away from such games and not think about them anymore. Stuff happens.

-- That said, there are some things to worry about, too. The Blazers couldn't hit an outside shot and had a terrible time on the boards. A one-night fluke? Maybe, but consider this: The Blazers added yet another player to their rotation who can't make outside shots. Gerald Wallace is not a long-range shooter, not even a medium-range shooter. He's a slasher and a finisher. Also, Portland also traded two bigs, Dante Cunningham and Joel Przybilla, for a small, in Wallace. And the Blazers weren't all that big to begin with.

-- Once again, Portland is stuck with a nasty roster imbalance. Coach Nate McMillan has way too many players out on the wing. We're talking about Brandon Roy, Wesley Matthews, Nic Batum and Rudy Fernandez -- all of them are pretty much interchangeable, although at least another guy, Gerald Wallace (who I still see as a lot more of a small forward than a power forward) is a rebounder. Roy is the only consistent outside shooter of the bunch.

-- If the Blazers don't learn quickly how to make best use of Wallace that trade is not going to look very good. Man, posting him up and isolating him 18 feet from the basket are not the right things. He needs to be off the ball and slashing. You've got to move the ball and let him move and then get him the ball at the rim. It would also help if you ran a fast break once in a while. Man, four fast-break points is ridiculous.

-- Speaking of that, we learned earlier this season that using Brandon Roy as a point guard doesn't work very well. And the Portland second unit, which is probably most effective on the run, isn't going to run with Roy at the point. It seemed McMillan seemed to agree with that in the second half when he threw Patty Mills on the floor. Problem is, without using Roy at the point, it's going to be hard to get everyone their minutes.

-- I'm afraid, eventually, one of those wing players -- most likely Fernandez -- is going to have to be left out of the rotation. I just don't see how you can get them all adequate minutes and as painful as it is, one of them probably is going to have to sit.

-- Roy isn't going to be happy with 15 minutes a game much longer. He's been a starter all his life and it's not easy for him to jump-start his game in limited minutes. They might be better off just to play him 30 minutes for as many games as he can do it and then just put him on the shelf when his knees act up.

-- Camby simply has to play better than he did Sunday night. He's got to rebound and block shots -- and not take bad shots. He's the only legit center on the roster and he's got to play like one for Portland to have a chance. I'm also wondering about the undercurrent with him and his teammates and coaching staff because of his resistance to coming back from his knee injury before the trading deadline. Word, too, is that the team was hopeful he would return for Friday's game vs. Denver but he said he couldn't go but promised he'd play Sunday. He couldn't play Friday but started the game Sunday? There were people in that locker room a little befuddled by that.

-- Obviously, this team's got to get another big man in here fast. And there's hope the guy is actually capable of lending a hand. If not, this is a pretty small team. Yes, LaMarcus Aldridge is their backup center. Well, then who is the backup power forward? Not Gerald Wallace, really. He's a small forward, just like Batum. Again, roster imbalance is not a good thing.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  2. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

He could tell all that by one game?

3. MIXUM

MIXUM Suspended

to me it looked like a cluster fuck of guys who were all trying to play their own style. like chickens with their heads cut off.

the scariest thing.... they simply cant afford to lose 2-3 in a row. there is no time to gel.

4. cdub503

cdub503 Well-Known Member

jaynes can suck it.....

5. Ghost Pepper

Ghost Pepper Active Member

The best thing the Blazers can do is hope B Roy's knees give again, cause eveyone here knows that even though Roy isn't saying it yet, he expects to be the star again! Problem is the ball stops, our offense watches, and we lose!

Nate needs to grow a sack and tell BRoy that his days of calling the shots for this team are over, he can be a helpful sixth man but that's it! It's LA's team now! Roy can except it or face the reality that no other team in the NBA is going to make him a starter with his knee condition. THAT IS FACT!!! I don't want to see Nate placate Roy at the expense of this team W/L. This team can be a solid 4 seed if we go back to what was working a week ago!

6. MIXUM

MIXUM Suspended

4 seed? i dont even know if they make the playoffs

7. jwhoops11

jwhoops11 Active Member

Biggest issue I have is that Dwight has made these observations after Wallace was first available to participate with this team at shoot around Sunday. I think I'd give it a couple of weeks of games and practices before declaring things might not work.

I agree posting Gerald and isolating him 15 feet from the basket does not look like his comfort zone, but what did you expect from his first appearance with the team? Running the offense with the crispness we've seen as of late wasn't going to happen. There were a couple of times that Wallace would have been open for a lob 'ala LaMarcus on that curl play they run with Rudy. Both times instead of going to the basket and looking for the pass Gerald popped to the corner. In time he'll realize that Rudy will get him the ball and get it to him in a place to finish. He just needs the reps.

8. Shooter

Shooter Unanimously Great

advertising
    According to Jaynes, Dante Cunningham is a "big" at 6'8. And Gerald Wallace is a "small" at 6'7. Really? One inch makes all that much difference?

9. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

in even less words... Jaynes is garbage.

10. Ghost Pepper

Ghost Pepper Active Member

I like Dante but for goodness sake.... Wallace is a huge upgrade and Joel was so slow out there it was almost painful to watch.... Not good points! The way I see the west is Spurs, Lakers, Mavs, Thunder, Blazers... The THunder are starting to struggle now... I'd be happy with a five seed too and that is very doable!

11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Ask your wife......... it really does................ BAM!!!!!!

12. MIXUM

MIXUM Suspended

wheels....

jaynes is garbage? why? cause hes not rah rah?

jaynes and vance made a lot of people look dumb on here.

13. THE HCP

Amazing that he can obtain all the info needed to make this opinion in only 48 minutes. Everybody should remember we also lost our first game after the Camby trade.

14. THE HCP

I have a great comeback for this, but I was told I would be banned if I continued my mistreatment of the MIXUM. So I will decline to comment.

15. Shooter

advertising
    Thanks for that thoughtful contribution to the discussion. I guess it's your "insider" status on the team that enables you to make such intelligent comments.

16. THE HCP

No...... just my "INSIDE" status with your wife................ BAM!

17. THE HCP

POST OF THE YEAR! Somebody start a poll.

18. Shooter

advertising
    My wife died several years ago. Are you saying you're having sex with her corpse?

19. THE HCP

Hey if that's true man, I am sorry. I did not know that and didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I am an equal oportunity jerk.

20. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.