Bench-clearing brawl interrupts Miami-FIU game

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by pjcolpitts?, Oct 14, 2006.

1. pjcolpitts?

pjcolpitts? BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Bench-clearing brawl interrupts Miami-FIU gameMIAMI -- A sideline-clearing brawl interrupted the third quarter of the Florida International-Miami game Saturday night, prompting the ejection of 13 players in the first meeting between the South Florida rivals.FIU had eight players ejected, Miami had five. It was the first on-field fight in FIU's five-year football history, school officials said.Florida International's ejected players were wide receiver Chandler Williams, defensive backs Lionell Singleton, Chris Smith and Marshall McDuffie Jr., fullback John Ellis, linebacker Mannie Wellington, tight end Samuel Smith and defensive end Jarvis Penerton.The ejected Miami players were offensive linemen Derrick Morse and Chris Barney, running back Charlie Jones, and cornerbacks Carlos Armour and Bruce Johnson.All 13 players are expected to be suspended for one game.The fight started shortly after Jon Peattie's extra point with 9:00 left in the third quarter gave Miami a 14-0 lead. Both sidelines quickly emptied, with several fights breaking out during the melee before order was restored.The brawl lasted about five minutes, and it took officials several more minutes to sort out the penalties. Players from both sides appeared to be swinging helmets, and one injured FIU player came onto the field swinging a crutch at Miami players.More than two dozen uniformed police officers came onto the field, trying to end the fights.Several minutes after order was restored on the field, one fight broke out among fans in the northwest corner of the end zone, with more than 12 police officers running into the stands to break up that melee. More officers, including some wearing helmets, continued to surround the perimeter of the field.Tensions ran high throughout the evening, with several instances of players exchanging heated words at the end of plays.But emotions quickly boiled over after Miami's second touchdown.James Bryant caught a 5-yard touchdown pass from Kyle Wright, then drew a 15-yard flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. After that catch, he appeared to point at the FIU bench, then took a theatrical bow.Moments later, Peattie kicked the extra point and the brawl started.</div>Link

2. ballerman2112

ballerman2112 BBW Elite Member

dang, I was just about to post this. Crazy fight between these two teams. One guy kicked the kicker of one of the teams in the head and another guy took off his helmet and hit somebody. There were several punches thrown obviously because this thing went on for like 10 minutes. Ridiculous that a school such as Miami would do this.

3. Justice

Justice BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ballerman2112 @ Oct 14 2006, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Ridiculous that a school such as Miami would do this.</div>I was under the impression that Miami had issues with their football team all the time.

4. ballerman2112

ballerman2112 BBW Elite Member

im saying this because they have had such a good program for so long that I cant believe their coaching staff would allow something like this to happen. It is a disgrace to college football.

5. bballinyao06

bballinyao06 BBW Elite Member

I agree, it was an absolute disgrace. I was actually at the game (as an FIU fan but also respected the Canes as a team, but I wanted to represent my school) when it happened. Both teams lost it and even before the fight, they could be seen shoving and pushing each other around after plays. I saw players punching each other, kicking each other, pummeling each other to the ground, swinging helmets around and also, one of FIU's running backs was on crutches and he started swinging his crutches around. Also, if you guys didn't know, the WR that scored the touchdown bowed in front of a section of FIU fans and it angered the FIU players. This game was way overheated even before the game and I think everybody's emotions were running high and the trashtalking and pushing and taunting didn't really help. In my opinion, they should cancel next season's game because even though it was supposed to be a friendly cross-city rivalry game between the two teams, even though a lot of people think it was funny because it obviously doesn't happen often, nobody in the City of Miami wants to see this happen again...If you guys want to see some video of the fight, here it is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JWeE9KqZjQEDIT: In case you guys haven't heard, almost 31 players in total got suspended. I know for FIU, 16 are suspended indefinitely until they meet requirements (anger management, community service for youth by teaching them that they should always show good sportsmanship in games, etc.) and their reinstatement must be approved by both the new Athletic Director and Coach Don Strock. Two FIU players were already dismissed from the team. Also, the entire FIU coaching staff and team have to do community service to be determined. I remember FIU saying that they would take the punishment handed down to them from the Sun Belt Conference and made it worse and they did. I'm not sure about UM players though, I think they're only suspended for their next game or at least that's what I've heard so far.