Here's our big move....Al Thornton

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by CohanHater, Mar 1, 2011.

1. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Looks like we're looking to bring in another 3 off the bench. Let's see, can we grab another 2 or 3 small forwards?

2. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but maybe not :lol:. How good is Al Thornton? Is he supposed to help us tank or get back to four games under .500? I rather have Azubuike back, but he hasn't been able to come back from his major knee injury.

Or how about Corey Brewer? He's a "big" defensive 2 guard and was well liked by his teammates in Minnesota.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    I should've put "Yawn" next to it. Thornton's only decent years were before people realized that he's a chucker that can't shoot.

Brewer will go to a contender, but he's actually perfect for what we need. I'd take Buike back too, but we can always pick him up next year. We need a guy that can get to the line. I'd be all for moving Williams in the offseason and bringing Buike back.

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

I don't see why. are they still fooling themselves into thinking they have a PO chance? It would be better to audition a bunch of D-Leaguers for next season. Maybe they're worried about sucking so bad that they fall into the lottery and thus can't relinquish the rights to the albatross draft pick. GS has to be just good enough this year to stay out of the lottery and finally let NJ (or whoever it is now) get that pick taken care of.

However, I don't know how "cutting" players works, but they should offer a generous deal to Corey Brewer. He is a great defender.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  5. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Al Thornton isn't a great player, but he's still young. Basically it's like upgrading Rodney Carney, I guess. He takes more shots around the basket and isn't as good from the 3 point line, though.

I like Brewer, but his offense is horrible.

Personally I'd just hope that Azubuike somehow recovers and we can convince him, he's still one of my personal favorite guys to watch if he can make it back on the court.

6. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    A player would have to clear waivers. If he gets picked up by another team off waivers, then that team has to assume his contract. Once he clears waivers and negotiates a buy out, then he becomes a free agent to sign with whomever -- usually a title contender. It's a case of the rich get richer.

I think you'll like Corey Brewer a lot better if we had him on the team. He can start in a pinch, but will back up Monta so he can get more of a blow. He's only 24. Unfortunately, some contender will keep him if he does well. As for Reggie, I rather keep him because he's our backup PG and is versatile. Miami would want him more than Bibby (I think). As for Thornton, Riley may have picked him up because he can get to the line. He's streaky. I think he'll have some good games and then stink it up. He's inconsistent and gets injured. Not a lot, but enough. Dare I say it? He's a poor man's Corey Maggette.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  7. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Al Thornton is kinda like Al Harrington part 2. Not sure if I like that kind of player. How about the warriors get two traditional big men. I hate trying to go for the 3/4 mismatch. You do better offensively/defensively when you get control of the inside paint. It's boring as f to watch sometimes, but it gets you wins. Ask Kareem Abdul Jabar about the state of back-to-the-basket play. It's all guard play, which is exciting, but it's such a low % game when guys try to shoot 3's all the time or go for the steal.