Raps beat the Nets 119-110

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by MosDefinitely, Oct 15, 2006.

1. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>October 15, 2006TORONTO (CP) -- Toronto Raptors coach Sam Mitchell calls P.J. Tucker ``Baby Mule'' because the rookie will happily do the grunt work.Tucker proved his worth Sunday, scoring 18 points to lead the new-look Raptors to a 119-110 pre-season win over the New Jersey Nets. Along the way, the Texas product provided toughness and energy off the bench that Toronto has sorely lacked in the past.``This kid just battles. And he knows how to score around the basket. That's the thing we liked about him,'' Mitchell said of Tucker, who was the 35th pick in the 2006 draft. ``We feel we got lucky him being in the second round.``He's just so physical and so active, he just works. He's just a class individual, he's just a good kid. ''Fred Jones added 14 points, Morris Peterson finished with 13, and T.J. Ford, looking more confident running the offence, had 10 points and 11 assists for Toronto, which improved to 3-0 in the pre-season.``I think he had been a little disappointed at himself, the way he'd been playing the last couple of days in practice and the last couple of games,'' Peterson said of Ford. ``Today, he came out and played a little more relaxed and pushed the ball up the court, he's finding out what guys' strengths are, and he's moving the ball.''Antoine Wright scored 21 points for the Nets (0-3). Former Raptors star Vince Carter, in his first action of the pre-season _ he missed the previous two games with sore ribs _ finished with 10 points on 5-for-15 shooting, and was booed whenever he handled the ball.``They play hard, a scrappy team,'' Carter said of the revamped Raptors. ``They are undersized but if they play hard like they played, run the floor and defend, all that doesn't matter in my opinion.''On an odd afternoon, the game was delayed by six minutes in the fourth quarter when the lights went out in the Air Canada Centre, part of a power blip in downtown Toronto. Five minutes of the fourth were played in a dimly-lit arena, before the lights reached full power with just two minutes to go.The Raptor mascot also went down with an injury, taking a tumble off a ladder in the first half. He didn't return to the game, Toronto officials saying he suffered a ``lower body injury.''Raptors all-star Chris Bosh sat out the game to rest a sore left heel.``It was just a thing that progressed over time with a lot of playing,'' said Bosh. ``It just became sore, and we're just taking a precautionary measure, making sure it doesn't turn into anything bad.''In Bosh's absence, several young Raptors were left to step up and shoulder the scoring load, with six players scoring in double figures. Tucker shot 6-for-7 from the floor, and was strong on the defensive end. Versatility is something he prides himself on. E-mail photo | Buy photos Public Enemy #1 was back in Toronto Sunday. (Ron Turenne/NBAE/Getty Images)``That's what I do, I go from guarding (guard) Marcus Williams to guarding the centre. . . just help the team out, play hard, play defence, finish plays.'' said Tucker.Kris Humphries, acquired in an off-season trade with Utah for the seldom-used Rafael Araujo, finished with 11 points and game-high 12 rebounds, injecting some much-needed energy into the Raptors in a key third quarter.``P.J. Tucker, he and Chris Humphries, those guys just bring us some energy, some toughness, get us some loose balls and some rebounds,'' said Mitchell.Rookie Andrea Bargnani added 11 points, while sophomore Joey Graham looked more confident than he has in a long while, finishing with 10 points. Graham converted a three-point play with 3:27 left in the game that gave Toronto an 11-point lead.Carter was most interested in Raptors' rookie Jorge Garbajosa. The Spaniard wears Carter's No. 15.``Yes that was weird,'' said Carter. ``(Garbajosa) looked at me like, what the heck am I doing? It was just very weird to see.''The Nets led 31-27 after one quarter. They stretched their advantage to as much as 17 points in the second before Toronto connected on four straight three-pointers to cut the Nets' lead to 62-52 at halftime.Humphries grabbed seven rebounds in the third to help the Raptors pull even with the Nets, and the game was tied 82-82 with a quarter left to play.NOTES: The Raptors released forward LaVell Blanchard and centre Cezary Trybanski after the game, leaving Toronto's training camp roster at 15 players. . . The Raptors play Cleveland in Rochester, N.Y., on Wednesday, then host Maccabi Tel Aviv on Thursday. . . A Raptors' pre-season game against Greek team Panathinaikos at the ACC in 2003 was shortened because of a power outage.E-mail this story</div>Hopefully this is a sign of what to expect for the season!!!Im really liking the bench and hope players like Humphries and Tucker get some actual playing time as they have been superb in the off-season. Anyways cant wait for the season to start, I already got myself tickets to 5 games [​IMG]

2. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

Thats the third win in a row folks, raptors have definitely arrived this year.key facts:- Nets Raptors Turnovers 20 13 Fast Break Pts 16 11 Biggest Lead 17 11 Unanswered Pts 0 2 Points in the Paint 42 40- tj with 11 assists-pj tucker with an awesome night 18 points- raptors leading the break nicely- gave up 40 points in the paint! not good- more to come

3. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

These games don't matter. Bostjan Nachbar and Antoine Wright got major minutes...Don't take anything from these games. They are just trial runs.All you did was go on NBA.com and look up some stats, you didn't even watch the game.

4. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrewCityBuck @ Oct 15 2006, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>These games don't matter. Bostjan Nachbar and Antoine Wright got major minutes...Don't take anything from these games. They are just trial runs.</div>still we must be doing something right if were 3-0 in pre-season, VC and JKidd played and Bosh sat this one out so it makes it more sweeter.

5. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MosDefinitely @ Oct 15 2006, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>still we must be doing something right if were 3-0 in pre-season, VC and JKidd played and Bosh sat this one out so it makes it more sweeter.</div> You cannot take these games seriously my friend. Most of the game it's just benches playing eachother, young players getting some minutes...etc...Who cares if your 3-0 or 0-3, when the games don't matter the record doesn't matter.

6. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

I agree that you shouldn't make anything of the record in preseason, for ANY team. But I have some questions for you Raptors (or Nets) fans that watched this game:

1. How did Bargnani look? He didn't look that good vs. Boston.
    2. Is Bosh alright?
    3. How did Marcus Williams look?
    4. How about Antoine Wright?

7. valo35

valo35 BBW VIP

These games might not mean much to the stars, and often shouldn't be an indication of how the teams are going to be playing this season, but they are nice for telling which teams have the better benchs and nicer long term futures. This is because the bench, and even a couple of the starters are playing their hardest every game of the pre-season. Some of the starters are making sure they keep their starting spots, while the backups are trying to start and get in the lineup.

8. Roaming

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (valo35 @ Oct 15 2006, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>These games might not mean much to the stars, and often shouldn't be an indication of how the teams are going to be playing this season, but they are nice for telling which teams have the better benchs and nicer long term futures. This is because the bench, and even a couple of the starters are playing their hardest every game of the pre-season. Some of the starters are making sure they keep their starting spots, while the backups are trying to start and get in the lineup.</div>like mosDefinitely u mean? sry about that BCB but I dont have NBA TV im tryin to anaylze best as I can without watching the games

9. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

I dont have NBA or Raps TV.....yeeettt but from what my friends tell me who actually have the opportunity to watch the games say that our bench is looking really good, they're saying Calderon has really improved from last season and is shooting with confidence, driving to the bucket and finally dribbling with both the left and right hand lol. They're jumping on the Bargnani bandwagon because the rook has a great offensive game, the only thing that is troubling is his fouls. I think everyone should watch out for Garbjosa this season, I kindof see him doing what Marshall did for the Raps the season he came, players wont gaurd him tough so he'll start shooting 3's and grabbing boards. Pre-season may not mean much but still if our bench can win 3 can go undefeated then whos to say they thats what to expect during the season?

10. Asian

Asian BBW Member

Does anyone know Fred Jones' Status?The raps played a not bad game without Bosh. Other players did step up. Ford with 9 assist in the 1st half, and Kris with a Double Double.

11. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

yeah I hope Humphries gets some playing time hes been outstanding in the summer league and now in the pre-season, hopefully we give him a chance because I truely believe he can contribute and plus, I want the Raptors to win the trade with Utah

12. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Oct 16 2006, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I agree that you shouldn't make anything of the record in preseason, for ANY team. But I have some questions for you Raptors (or Nets) fans that watched this game:1. How did Bargnani look? He didn't look that good vs. Boston.2. Is Bosh alright?3. How did Marcus Williams look?4. How about Antoine Wright?</div>Well, I didnt see the whole game, but I can tell you that Marcus Williams was eating up Jose Calderon, going right at him, and taking advantage of his terrible defense. He had a good game, and was able to get 7 assists.And guys, it kind of does matter because it shows that we have good depth on our team. I am very happy that we are 3-0, and hopefully we can continue our undefeated streak.I'd say Bosh is fine also. Just sitting out for precautionary reasons.Anyway, I saw the 2nd half. Here are my player reports. I'll update them once I see the entire game.TJ FordTJ Ford was simply electric out there. He finished with 11 assists, and showed awesome court vision. The bad thing is that he missed 3 lay ups that game. 3 lay ups! Youve got to be kidding me. But he did drive to the basket very well.Morris PetersonMo was hot today. He hit on almost every jumper he took. He simply had a great offensive night. Mo even got a 4 point play today.Anthony ParkerAnthony came in and played good defense. He also surprisingly showed great court vision, finishing with 5 assists. He made a douple of shots, and drove to the basket well. He is a smart player, and a do everything type of guy. BTW he held Carter to 5-15 shooting. Finished with 3 steals also. Bad news is that he missed most of his shots, and a couple were wide open. He has to work on his shooting in practice...Andrea BargnaniAndrea made back to back 3 pointers, and a pull up jumper also. He had a good shooting day.Rasho NesterovicRasho didnt do much at all. He got a couple rebounds, and one put back, but a bit of a quiet night for Rasho.Jorge GarbajosaJorge played okay. He was 3-9 shooting, and was a bit off from long range, but he took what the defense gave him, and was able to score 8.Jose CalderonJose played maybe his best game of the pre-season. He was able to drive to the rack well, he displayed good court vision, and even got a couple of steals. (Although they were off of bad ball handlign by Marcus Williams, who had 6 TO's). He even made one long range shot too.Joey GrahamJoey drove to the hoop well, and was able to get a few and one opportunities. Finished with 10 points.PJ TuckerPJ played amazingly well. He was aggressive offensively, scoring a Raptors high 18 points. He posted up, drove to the basket, and when the defense wasnt guarding him, he sank a jump shot as well. He was 6-7 from the stripes, and from the field.Fred JonesFred played well. He was hitting his shots today, driving like always, and he played scrappy defense, even getting one block.Kris HumphriesKris played very well. He was a monster on the rebounds, getting 12 total, but 8 offensive rebounds in only 14 minutes of play! He would set himself inside, get the ball, miss a lay in, get the board, miss and get the board again, miss again and get the board, and then finally put it in. He finished with 11 points also. Im very impressed with him.So..once again, Im going to update this once I see the rest of the game. BTW, the lights went out for a while, and the game resumed in dim light!

13. pjcolpitts?

pjcolpitts? BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RaptorFan#1 @ Oct 15 2006, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>like mosDefinitely u mean? sry about that BCB but I dont have NBA TV im tryin to anaylze best as I can without watching the games</div><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MosDefinitely @ Oct 15 2006, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>[/b].....yeeettt but from what my friends tell me who actually have the opportunity to watch the games say that our bench is looking really good, they're saying Calderon has really improved from last season and is shooting with confidence, driving to the bucket and finally dribbling with both the left and right hand lol. They're jumping on the Bargnani bandwagon because the rook has a great offensive game, the only thing that is troubling is his fouls. I think everyone should watch out for Garbjosa this season, I kindof see him doing what Marshall did for the Raps the season he came, players wont gaurd him tough so he'll start shooting 3's and grabbing boards. Pre-season may not mean much but still if our bench can win 3 can go undefeated then whos to say they thats what to expect during the season?</div>You guys don't have NBA TV, but if ya'll can't watch the games, ya'll can go to nba.com and listen to them on the radio system that they have. They have play by play radio for just about every game, so instead of just getting the box score at the end of the game, ya'll have a better feel for the game and know how they played. Also, theres a thread where you can download a tvuplayer which has nbatv on it for free. Hope this helps somewhat.

14. Roaming

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pjcolpitts? @ Oct 16 2006, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You guys don't have NBA TV, but if ya'll can't watch the games, ya'll can go to nba.com and listen to them on the radio system that they have. They have play by play radio for just about every game, so instead of just getting the box score at the end of the game, ya'll have a better feel for the game and know how they played. Also, theres a thread where you can download a tvuplayer which has nbatv on it for free. Hope this helps somewhat.</div>actually for the last 2 games that hasnt been working eithier

15. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pjcolpitts? @ Oct 16 2006, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You guys don't have NBA TV, but if ya'll can't watch the games, ya'll can go to nba.com and listen to them on the radio system that they have. They have play by play radio for just about every game, so instead of just getting the box score at the end of the game, ya'll have a better feel for the game and know how they played. Also, theres a thread where you can download a tvuplayer which has nbatv on it for free. Hope this helps somewhat.</div>thanks ill check into that

16. Roaming

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MosDefinitely @ Oct 16 2006, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>thanks ill check into that</div> lately hasnt been working for raptors games

17. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

If you didnt see the game check my player analysis' to see how each player did that game..

18. Supreme BALLA

Supreme BALLA BBW Member

They played great. The only thing that I didn't like about it all was that they won with Jefferson, Carter and Kidd all playing limited minutes.Antoine Wright and Marcus Williams did awesome, and on the other end Tucker, Bargnani, Ford and some of the others did great as well.We're looking good so far.