Lions Bobby Carpenter, Ashlee Palmer vie for outside linebacker spot

Discussion in 'NFC North' started by truebluefan, Mar 6, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

"With free agency on hold pending a new collective bargaining agreement and only five picks in April's draft, the Lions might not be able to fill both of their vacancies at outside linebacker this off-season. Of course, to hear general manager Martin Mayhew, they may not have two holes to fill.

Mayhew said at the NFL combine Bobby Carpenter and Ashlee Palmer will contend for starting spots next season. Carpenter signed in October as a free agent and started two games at the end of the year. Palmer played mostly on special teams after being claimed off waivers from the Bills.

"I thought Bobby did an outstanding job," Mayhew said. "He knew all the spots, knew all the special-teams stuff, and he made plays for us on the field. He made a couple big plays in the passing game on third downs for us, so we were happy with his performance.

"I see him certainly as a guy who competes for a starting job at outside linebacker for us, and I see Ashlee the same way. Both those guys have played well enough. and there's enough good tape of those guys playing in our system, to say those guys can be starters."

Carpenter likely will be an unrestricted free agent under the next CBA, but he told the Free Press after the season he hoped to sign a long-term deal with the Lions."

Read more: http://www.freep.com/article/201103...ter-Ashlee-Palmer-vie-outside-linebacker-spot