Panthers land TE Jeremy Shockey with one-year deal

Discussion in 'NFC South' started by truebluefan, Mar 6, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

"The Carolina Panthers have their pass-catching tight end.

Coach Ron Rivera said early on in his tenure he wanted to upgrade that position and the Panthers have done just that, signing free agent Jeremy Shockey to what league sources said is a one-year contract Thursday. The details of the contract were not immediately available, but the move comes just hours before an expected NFL lockout.

"We are very pleased to add Jeremy to our football team," Rivera said in a press release. "He is a highly competitive player with a good skill set and a wealth of experience. He should make a solid contribution to our offense."

In 2010, Shockey played in 13 games for the Saints and caught 41 passes for 408 yards and three touchdowns, including his 500th career reception.

Prior to coming to New Orleans, Shockey spent his first six seasons with the New York Giants, who drafted him 14th overall out of Miami in 2002. He amassed 4,228 yards on 371 catches and found the end zone 27 times over 83 games with the Giants. Shockey was named to the Pro Bowl in four of his first five seasons with New York and he was a member of the Giants' Super Bowl XLII team.

On his Facebook page Shockey wrote: "Looks like I'm signing with Carolina. Time for the Next chapter. This is a great opportunity for me, and I am excited to play football. Lets hope we all have the chance to play this season."

The Panthers aren't expected to make any other moves."

Read more: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/artic...jeremy-shockey-with-oneyear-deal--471949.html