McPherson extends, Ahman Green joins Alouettes

Discussion in 'Other American Football' started by truebluefan, Mar 10, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Montreal Alouettes' Vice President and General Manager Jim Popp announced today that quarterback Adrian McPherson has extended his contract until 2012 with the club, while import running back Ahman Green has signed a two-year contract with the club.

"I want to be a great quarterback in this league and I want to be a part of a great organization. I feel this is the best opportunity for me. I'm very happy to extend my stay in Montreal," said McPherson.

McPherson (6'03'', 220 lbs), has played 44 games, including four starts, with the Alouettes since 2008, serving primarily as backup quarterback behind Anthony Calvillo while also being used on short-yardage situations. He entered the Alouettes' record book on Sept. 11 in Hamilton when he set the second best rushing performance by an Alouettes' quarterback in a game with 121 rushing yards. He has recorded 999 career passing yards and eight touchdowns on 98 passes and 680 rushing yards and seven touchdowns on 127 carries. He is 27.

"The stable became a little more stable today with the contract extension. Adrian has played an important role in our organization over the last three seasons. He continues to grow more comfortable with both our system and the CFL," declared Popp. Green (6'00'', 220 lbs), the Green Bay Packers' all-time leading rusher, joins the Alouettes after spending 12 seasons in the NFL. After being selected in the third round of the 1998 NFL Draft and playing two seasons with the Seattle Seahawks, Green spent the next seven with the Packers, from whom he was not only selected to play in four consecutive Pro Bowls, from 2001 to 2004, but also named an All-Pro Selection twice, in 2001 and 2003. He set several team records in 2003, including most rushing yards in a season (1,883), most rushing yards in a game (218) and most carries in a season (355).

"We welcome the experience that Ahman will bring to our running back competition. He is a battle-tested player and we are looking forward to him bringing that experience to the Alouettes," said the team's general manager.

Following his time in Green Bay, the Nebraska Cornhuskers alumni then shared duties in the Houston Texans' backfield between 2007 and 2008. In 2009, Green made the most of his return to Green Bay, surpassing Jim Taylor and becoming the Packers' all-time leading rusher with 8,208 career yards. He concluded his NFL career with 9,205 rushing yards and 60 touchdowns on 2,056 carries, 2,883 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns on 378 catches and 1,634 return yards on 73 kickoffs.

In 2010, he played eight games with the UFL Omaha Nighthawks, recording 253 yards on 68 carries and 50 yards on eight catches. He is 33.