Hartford Colonials Name Assistant Coach

Discussion in 'Other American Football' started by truebluefan, Apr 9, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

KURT BEATHARD, the son of legendary NFL executive Bobby Beathard, has been hired as the running backs coach for the 2011 Hartford Colonials of the United Football League. Colonials Head Coach and General Manager JERRY GLANVILLE made the announcement.

Beathard, a native of Manhattan Beach, Calif., has more than 20 years experience in coaching. This year marks his second in the UFL. In 2010 he was the running backs coach of the Florida Tuskers, featuring UFL leading rusher Dominic Rhodes.

"He was the first guy I hired because he has the knowledge of our running game and can teach," Glanville said. "Every coach has to be the best professor on campus. Kurt loves the UFL and understands how it works. I can't wait to coach with him. The backs will play hard and understand their assignment - run the ball for attitude!"

Prior to the UFL, Beathard spent three years as an assistant at the University of Illinois under Ron Zook. Beathard was outside receivers coach for the Fighting Illini in 2007-08 before moving to quarterbacks coach in 2009.

Beathard was an offensive coordinator at the collegiate level for 11 years at Western Carolina (1996-2001), Bucknell (2002) and Eastern Kentucky (2003-06). His other coaching stints: defensive secondary coach at Pacific (1995), Towson State (1993-94) and quarterbacks coach at Bloomsburg (1992); tight ends at James Madison (1991); graduate assistant at Louisville (1989-90); and wide receivers Catholic (1988).

"I know the Hartford team is very talented," said Beathard. "I had an opportunity to be up there last year with the Tuskers, and it was a great environment to play in. The stadium and facilities were perfect. I'm as excited as I've ever been about coaching."

A quarterback in college, Beathard played two seasons at Towson State and passed for 4,768 yards and 38 touchdowns. As a junior in 1984 he led the Tigers to the Division II playoffs, and the following season was Division II All-American honorable mention. He started his collegiate career at Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo before transferring to Saddlebrook Junior College.

Beathard was drafted by the USFL's Baltimore Stars in 1986 and later had a brief stint with the Washington Commandos of the Arena League.

Beathard's father, Bobby, was an NFL general manage/player personnel director for nearly three decades with the Miami Dolphins (1972-77), Washington Redskins (1978-89) and San Diego Chargers (1990-2000). His teams played in six Super Bowls and won four. Jeff Beathard, Kurt's brother, is currently a scout for the Carolina Panthers.

The UFL begins its third season in August as the Colonials play an eight-game schedule against teams from Las Vegas, Omaha, Sacramento and Virginia. Fans can register for tickets for the 2011 Colonials season at www.HartfordColonials.com.