Freshman Basketball Tryouts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RashadzMcCantz, Oct 25, 2006.

1. RashadzMcCantz

RashadzMcCantz BBW Elite Member

Does anyone have any tips on how to impress the coach and make the basketball team. I'm only about 5'2-5'3, have great handling, a great shot but not great defense and need to improve my conditioning.

2. iversonfan268

iversonfan268 BBW VIP

Depends really. Every coach mostly looks for different things in players. Just make sure you work you hardest out there, keep a good attitude, and don't try and showoff and ballhog. All coaches usually look for things like that.

3. nba dogmatist

nba dogmatist BBW Member

just always hustle, especially on defense. you can easily fool a coach into thinking you play better defense than you really do. just get low and smother them.

4. STAT

STAT BBW Elite Member

Yeah what they said. And set your team mates up a lot, since it sounds like you will be playing the point from how tall you said you were. Nothing is worse than a point guard who never passes (trust me...I know...)

5. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

When I was on the basketball team in middleschool I was useless on offense, but coach played me because I was all over my guy like a homosexual in the heat of passion.

6. Memphology

Memphology BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrewCityBuck @ Oct 25 2006, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>When I was on the basketball team in middleschool I was useless on offense, but coach played me because I was all over my guy like a homosexual in the heat of passion.</div>well, we know who wants same sex marriage......j/kBut just TRY hard on defense, ask questions, put all effort and dont get ran over. If your in a scrimmage during tryouts and some guy shoots on you or does a crossover on you, come back and embarass him too. Just have that fire in you.

7. PacMan

PacMan BBW Elite Member

Hustle my tryouts are soon. I'm a Freshman in Carlisle High but I'm 6'2" unlike you who shorter an has to do way more work. Okay listen do you guys have like pre-season open gym days like just come so the coach can watch you an stuff ? If you do GO to every one of them because that will say one thing that you really want this an you really want to play He will like that an also like someone said Hustle like crazy since your a little dude you probably can't jump as high as me just cause I got hight but Im not saying you can't jump so you should work on hands make your hands, wrist stronger an faster if you have fast hands you can steal likes crazy then you dont have to jump an crap you know what I mean? So that things are:1. Come to every Open Gym [if you have them] that will show him you really want to be on the team. 2. Hustle like crazy an on the weekends get out your house an run 3 miles then rest for 5-10mins run 1 mile then do sprints like 40 yards an stuff then make it shorts to imporve your speed.3. Make your hands faster an make your arms stronger that means weight lift if you can't weight lift do 40-50 push-ups then 5-10 one arm push ups. Then 125-135 sit ups. And you said you got nice ball handing your good there you dont need anything else for your hight, I think.Edit: Hope you understood that, if you didn't tell me I'll try to explen it better.

8. Memphology

Memphology BBW VIP

^We have the same favorite player :happy0144: But, yeah just show the coach you want to be on team bad. Like our tryouts are on Halloween night 6:30 to 8:00. I asked him why and he said whoever shows up I know they will miss Halloween for basketball.

9. nba dogmatist

nba dogmatist BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (STAT @ Oct 25 2006, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Nothing is worse than a point guard who never passes (trust me...I know...)</div>Ain't that the truth! so frustrating for the whole team, especially when they're not a good scorer.

10. STAT

STAT BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nba dogmatist @ Oct 25 2006, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Ain't that the truth! so frustrating for the whole team, especially when they're not a good scorer.</div>Yeah, and when they eventually do pass, they throw over some crappy pass that gets picked off easily.And for the tryouts, just go to every school basketball function that goes on before tryouts start to show you really want to be on the team. 4 weeks ago, I broke my wrist in two places and I just got cleared for sports yesterday. But during the time I was out, I went to every practice and game my club team had (my freshmen coach is the coach of that team too) and showed dedication and passion for the game, and in return, he gave me a lot of left handed drills and ball handling drills to do while I was out. It really helps to show dedication to the team and the sport, and then your coaches will know that even if you aren't too good, they can give you drills and stuff to do and then they will have faith that you will do them.

11. P0W3RBALLIN

P0W3RBALLIN BBW Elite Member

It's easy as hell to make freshmen bball team.. at least my school [​IMG]

12. yankshater213

yankshater213 BBW Elite Member

work harder than everyone else. hustle. show how badly you want it.

13. Pistonfan11

Pistonfan11 BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrewCityBuck @ Oct 25 2006, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>When I was on the basketball team in middleschool I was useless on offense, but coach played me because I was all over my guy like a homosexual in the heat of passion.</div> :HAHAHA: If I were you just work harder then anyone else. be the last guy to leave conditioning or weight lifting, dive for loose balls, and be a vocal leader on the court. Encourage teammates and your coach will take notice.

14. SunnyD

SunnyD Sexiest Poster Alive (Yessir)

Don't make dumb descisions, play tight defense without fouling, and hustle like crazy.You still want to have our debate on Chicago vs. Detroit Rashadz? I'll do it.

15. BALLAHOLLIC

BALLAHOLLIC Member

Everything mentioned in this thread is the same thing that I told you on AIM before you made this.Work hard, Hustle, Play defense.Make it seem like your really excited to be there. Become a vocal leader.

16. RashadzMcCantz

Thanks for all the helpful tips and I'm going to work very hard to improve my conditioning in the next two weeks before tryouts. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SunnyD @ Oct 26 2006, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Don't make dumb descisions, play tight defense without fouling, and hustle like crazy.You still want to have our debate on Chicago vs. Detroit Rashadz? I'll do it.</div>Let's Do It

17. Wade3

Wade3 BBW Elite Member

I am also.. Except well, we only have seven guys signed up so far. But, we got another two weeks.

18. RashadzMcCantz

I'm against all odds. There's 77 players who signed up to tryout and 26 make it...and trust me, I haven't seen anyone who doesn't look like they are good at basketball at the meeting. All 77 look like they could all be solid players.

19. hawkballer30

hawkballer30 BBW Member

lol well juss relax....thats the first thing u need to do...I always would juss take a deep breathe and play like I know how...my freshman year I made the team when he kept 12 and 30 went out...lefty I think got cut lol haha but owell...juss go out there n hustle n play like u know how dont try to showboat or show up any of your teammates during your tryout...juss shut your mouth n play ball...the ones they dont really notice r the ones that usually make the team...that dont sound right but its true because I never would say a word to the coaches and I easily made the team but I think thats because im 6 foot and can shoot the lights out and we r a short squad as it is...but juss remember relax n play ball

20. Something-To-Say

Something-To-Say BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RashadzMcCantz @ Oct 26 2006, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm against all odds. There's 77 players who signed up to tryout and 26 make it...and trust me, I haven't seen anyone who doesn't look like they are good at basketball at the meeting. All 77 look like they could all be solid players.</div>77!?!?!? You have 77 freshmen trying out? God damn, isn't that like all the freshmen boys?