Would you guys trade Aldridge for Westbrook?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PHXBlazer1, May 12, 2011.

1. PHXBlazer1

PHXBlazer1 Well-Known Member

Pure hypothetical. But there's already been rumblings about Durant/Westbrook not being able to coexist longterm in OKC. Logically, they'd look to NOH for CP3 first. But for the sake of conversation, would you guys trade a package centered around LA for a resigned Westbrook?

Like so many other things the question is can Oden stay healthy? But if he can, I think I'd go to war with Westbrook/Matthews/Batum/Crash/Oden with Roy/Patty/CJ/MLE(Landry?) off the bench.

2. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I don't know that I like Westbrook as a lead guard for us. A better Blanky might be fine. I'd think hard about LMA for Curry and Biedrins if it was the 18/8 LMA...but probably still wouldn't pull the trigger. There's a LaMonster in there somewhere, and maybe if Roy's not on the court he can stay out to play.

3. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    You don't trade Big for Small especially when you lack depth at Big.

4. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Westbrook? Man that is a tough call! He seems like an all-star version of J.R. Smith. Or a poorman's Rose. Both would be awesome! Truly awesome! But a big for a guard is somewhat troubling for me, especially since we are already thin at the position.

5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    No. Quality big men are a harder commodity to obtain than guards.

6. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

No, then we wouldn't have a Power Forward.

7. PHXBlazer1

I agree with the big for small thing. But man. If Oden was healthy next year and we had the chance to make the deal around the deadline I think I'd pull the trigger. He's the closest thing to Derrick Rose in the league. And still so young. So quick and athletic, improving jumpshot, big strong PG. I love LA but I think Westbrook has the higher ceiling.

8. Ghost Pepper

Ghost Pepper Active Member

No Westbrook thinks he's the man at the expense of his TEAM! Example the 3 OT game against the grizzle where he took two of the final shot in two OT's. I do think OKC should look to get rid of him for say Parker because KD shouldn't have to ask for the damn ball. Right now I think Westbrooks ego needs to come down a notch.

9. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't only because I still don't think building around a PG is your best bet.

A trade I do think makes sense some for both sides, however, would be something around Westbrook for Rondo. Who says no to that first?

10. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I'd consider it. He made a huge leap forward this year and is still only 22. His Assist Rate is shockingly high. If Oden were to return one day, Westbrook would make a better complement to him.

The reason I might not do it is that Aldridge has more impact on defense. But I'm not sure it is enough.

11. PHXBlazer1

I agree that he thinks he's the man. And I was baffled at some of the late game possessions recently where he just ballhogged it and put up some prayer while the NBA's leading scorer stood and watched. But at the same time, with the Roy situation, that's why I think I'd make the move. Russ has the alpha dog personality, which we lack. And I think he's good enough to be one on a contender. Let's face it, we're not goin anywhere with LaMarcus as the best player, IMO.

12. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Westbrook is kind of a ball hog at times. If he can't deliver the ball to a guy like Durant who stands about 6 inches over the guys guarding him on the perimeter, can he do it for Oden in a crowded paint?

Still, though, he's so damned young. He's only in his third year. And it's not like he never passes. He gets 8 assists a game. And although his three point shot isn't great, it's not Andre Miller-bad.

It's kind of the same question as when I asked about Deron Williams earlier. Both elite PG's. Williams is a better shooter and team player, but Westbrook is younger and more athletic.

Now I'm not sure I'd trade either for Aldridge, but I'd definitely have to think about it.

13. PHXBlazer1

And let me just add that I've never been much of a Westbrook fan. But these playoffs have changed my tune on him. Holy shit, that dude is good. When you have a guy who can beat anyone off the dribble and get to the rim, it opens up so many opportunities for everyone else. End pipedream./

14. magnifier661

Westbrook maybe a better player over Williams, but I would much rather have Williams than Westbrook. Williams was really good at setting up Boozer, so him feeding the big fellas won't need to be forced. Does that make me crazy?

15. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

Maybe so, but I have a REAL REAL REAL BIG problem with what I recently witnessed from Westrbrook.

Westbrook is a very good scorer. Durant is arguably the best scorer in the NBA right now.

I watch Westbrook FREEZE OUT Durant during long stretches of the last couple playoff games and particularly the 4th quarter of game 4 when Westbrook played 1 on 5 ball for much of the time pounding holes in the hardwood.

That was some fugly, messed up basketball.

Westbrook will likely get better. But there is no guarantee of that. Man, if he can't figure out that Durant needs to get the ball, what is he going to think when he is supposed to be setting up lesser scorers on his teams?

Also, I agree with the others, we simply can't trade big for small right now, we are too short of bigs.

16. Ghost Pepper

Ghost Pepper Active Member

All I can say is LA and KD on the same team would be very hard to defend.

17. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    My one-sentence description of Westbrook is: "pint-sized LeBron James without the passing skills." Clearly he's not really a PG, but that could be okay so long as you build the entire team around him like the Sixers that made it to the finals with Iverson. But I wouldn't want to take on that project, and they wouldn't want LaMarcus, because they have a young star-in-the-making in Ibaka at the PF.

I think the Thunder should offer Westbrook either for John Wall or for the rights to Kyrie Irving, so long as they're convinced that each of those is a better PG. Or Deron Williams, of course, but that would just be unfair on the rest of the league.

18. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Agreed. Durant's got to be thinking fondly of last Summer when everyone realized that their job was to defend and then give the ball to him on offense. And that's why Westbrook didn't get as many minutes as perhaps his talent demanded. (But Kevin Love got exactly the right amount. Sorry, couldn't resist.)

19. magnifier661

Wow, I didn't think of the Deron Williams thing. I mean Deron doesn't want to be in NJ, in fact i saw that someone posted he may just play in Europe. I have no doubt that NJ would foam at the mouth for a swap of guards. That would seriously make the Thunder an instant favorite to win it all.

20. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    You're confusing him with Derek Rose. Who has less talented teammates but a lot better record.