Minny Shopping 2nd Pick? Want It?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Masbee, May 20, 2011.

1. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/122272204.html

Assuming Irving goes #1, and the BPA at #2 is considered Williams I don't see us trading for the #2 being a straightforward type of deal. We already are stocked with good forwards: LA; Batum; Crash.

But, if we wanted to retool/rebuild/rewhatever what would it take to make a trade with Kahn - and would he even talk to us?

2. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I don't think we have enough bullets in the chamber to get a deal done that makes sense ... I mean I'm certain we could trade guys like Wallace or LMA for that pick, but the return is unlikely to be worth the cost.

Along those lines, I don't know how receptive the Cavs would be to trading the 4th overall pick, but I'm thinking that if they do take Irving, then a guy like Sessions is expendable. Maybe we can put something together to get the 4th and Sessions in exchange for ... shit ... I have no idea what (Maybe Miller? Wallace? Batum? Wesley?) Then maybe we take a guy like Biyombo or Kanter with that pick.

3. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Kahn already shot down that Indiana rumor.

After seeing Kanter measure 6'11.25" and a solid 260 lbs., he has center size and makes him that much more intriguing.

4. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I don't think Crash has much value to those rebuilding teams, he's too old and expensive for their rebuilding projects. He's more valuable to us.

I would sent out Batum or Wesley, they are great backups or acceptable starters but I doubt they have enough worth to grab a top 5 pick. Perhaps Cleveland at 4, but I just think they'd rather keep the pick and draft BPA. It's worth Cho's time to make the call, I suppose you never know.

Would we trade Batum and Wesley for the #2? That would be much harder to swallow on our end but if we can get an above average starter with the pick it's something management should strongly consider.

5. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    I would much rather just say screw it trade our pick and have no interest in this draft. We already have a lot of young talent and the last thing this team needs is some unproven talent to play big minutes when we want to win now.

6. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Who is our young talent?

7. Nikolokolus

Who is this team's "young" talent? Aldridge is entering year six, our rookies from last year look like busts, Miller and Camby are a couple of years away from moving to Florida and playing shuffle board, Oden is like 102 (at least his knees and face are) Rudy is going to be 26 ... Batum is maybe the only youngish guy I see on this team.

I'd start adjusting that "we want to win now" mentality you are throwing out there, this team is closer to a rebuild/overhaul/makeover than you realize.

8. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Babbit/Elliot/Johnson/Wes(secound year in the league)/Batum are young talent pretty much. I have that "we want to win now" mentality because that's what it seems like Paul Allen wanted to do. I don't think were close to a rebuild at all and an overhaul/makeover isn't out of the question but either one of those would probably be going after proven talent and not young talent.

9. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Only way I see us keeping any picks in this draft is if we can find a possible "franchise PG". Are their any at #2? If yes, then do it!

10. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Or package that pick with other assets to a rebuilding or on the verge of rebuilding team for a franchise PG.

Boston, I'm looking at you! :ghoti:

11. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull

Oh man having Rhondo would be a dream scenario for our team. His defense alone would be such an improvement!

12. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

You think we should avoid picking up young players with upside because of the three guys we drafted last year??? Those draft picks have been total busts so far, they all may end up being dropped next summer to to avoid picking up their cheap options. Well except Armon he may be dropped in a few months.

Batum is entering the final season of his rookie contract.

We could definetely use some young talent to help in future seasons. The cost may be greater than we want to pay, but saying we have no room for rookies with upside is stupid when we have roster spots filled with D leaguers, draft busts and 38 year olds.

13. Nikolokolus

Well those guys are all certainly young ... talent is pretty subjective. Wesley was an old rookie coming out of Marquette and will be 25 next year which makes him nearly the same age as LMA suggesting there might not be much upside left.

As for the notion that this team isn't close to a major overhaul, what makes you think that, when our starting point and starting center are both over the age of 35 (and don't tell me Greg will step in) and there is no clear path to replacing them with "proven" players -- there aren't a whole lot of desirable assets left on this roster to go out and make moves for guys like that.

14. cdub503

cdub503 Well-Known Member

random question about irving...

i remember hearing he has to wear a special thing in his shoe like he did for the NCAA tourney for the rest of his life? is that true? and how affected by that would he be if it was?

15. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    I guess I had a bad way of putting my thoughts. I would rather us go after proven talent if were gonna trade away key players instead of lottery talent that may or may not work out. If were going to trade away players for lottery picks we might be better off just blowing up the team because we are rail thin as it is in terms of depth.

16. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Brandon Knight is the guy I would love to have

17. shamelessblazer

shamelessblazer Member

Any chance we'd be open to moving Oden to Cleveland in a sign n trade for Jamison and #4? I think they'd have to take the gamble but probably not worth it for us, and I don't particularly want to have #4 anyways. Wonder what happens if Memphis has trouble signing Gasol if they'd want to gamble on Oden? But his value is probably at all time low and best to see what we've got (and if he plays well his value will skyrocket).

18. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Gasol is intriguing but I just don't see Oden taking an offer that is lower then 10mill a year and I don't see Gasol doing the same either so I doubt see a S&T going on there and we can't just trade Oden without a contract because of how the CBA works at the moment. Gotta wait for the next one before we can do anything with him if he rejects the QO

19. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I don't think the Blazers should be thinking draft picks at this stage. It should be a win now attitude and getting proven players to play with LMA and Wallace. Package draft picks and players for proven players teams are shopping (like the Wallace situation).

20. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    This is pretty much what I was horribly trying to say.