Mark Jackson named Head Coach

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by iLL PiLL, Jun 6, 2011.

1. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

2. i hate the warriors

i hate the warriors Slingboxing from LONDON

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.............

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Seems risky. Jackson sounds like a moron on TV but he was a damn successful PG on a lot of winning teams. He must know something about x's and o's being such a good PG in his playing days right? Its always been intriguing that he has gotten so much interest as a guy who has never had any coaching experience. There must be a lot of good qualities that people see in him. No one has hired him though, probably due to lack of actual experience. Until now.

I'm very, VERY skeptical of this move. But it is high risk/high reward. He does seem like a guy who can lead, command respect, grow with the team, etc. Will inexperience coaching be his downfall? Does he have the x's and o's to be a great coach? How much does he know about running a team defense? It remains to be seen.

From Warriors.com:
    http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/warriors_name_mark_jackson_head_coach_060611.html

4. Run BJM

From Woj:
    http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_mark_jackson_warriors_0607011

5. Run BJM

Marc Stein thinks Warriors are pushing to get Mike Malone to be Jackson's lead assistant.

6. Run BJM

Sam Amick:

http://twitter.com/#!/sam_amick

7. Run BJM

More Woj:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_mark_jackson_warriors_0607011

I think Malone already worked with Mike Brown in Cleveland so money may not really be a big issue. Plus the Lakers hired Mike Brown to save money...but they're still the Lakers and could spend whenever they really want. Lets not forget Toronto and Detroit jobs just opened up and Malone can just go back to NO too.

Anyone know if its more typical for a HC to bring in his own staff? I've always been a proponent of letting HCs bring in their own guys so as to fully let them take over and do they job as they want. Jackson seems to have plenty of connections and Lacob will pay the assistants. Why not just let Jax pick his staff?

8. Run BJM

Stein:

9. Run BJM

Check out this page compiling a bunch of different NBA players' twitter feeds:
    http://twitter.com/#!/nbatnt/nba-players

Seems like a ton of players know Jackson and like him a lot.

Lacob seems to love guys with connections. All of a sudden with West, Myers, Jackson we seem to have a lot of them.

10. Run BJM

According to Marcus Thompson:

11. Clif10

Clif10 Member

At least it is not another Mike Montgomery hiring. Or is it?

I guess I'll give him a shot. There is not much else to do...

12. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I felt he was better than Mike Brown, at least. I think in the end, the roster is going to dictate our chances more, though. I'm in the "wait and see" boat as well, not hating it nor loving it.

13. Run BJM

W's got Mike Malone accordingg to Wojnarowski:

http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA

Mike Malone Profile:
    http://www.nba.com/coachfile/michael_malone/index.html?nav=page

Worth noting that he was the lead assistant in NO last year during Monty Williams' first year as HC. Not sure about details of Cleveland years but pretty sure Mike Brown needed a lot of help from his assistants lol.

Nice to see Lacob spending.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  14. Run BJM

TK tweets:
    Malone will get a 3 year deal. I've read that Jackson's deal is 3 yrs with a 4th year team option.

15. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

This sounds like good risk type of move. I think the players will respect a guy more knowing that he has stepped onto the floor as an nba player. Plus, this guy had a pretty stellar career. Isn't he still second on all-time assists?

16. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Jerry West and Bob Myers signed off on this so I'm going to give Mark Jackson the benefit of the doubt.

17. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Why not hire Brian Shaw if they wanted to take a risk on a young coach? Mark Jackson doesn't have any experience and I don't see him being a "defense first" type coach. He'll be a good mentor for Curry, but the Warriors are going to rely heavily on his assistant coaching staff to be successful. Maybe he can drag JVG out of retirement.

18. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    It seems Brian Shaw has underwhelmed a lot of teams including your Lakers, hence his unemployed status. Not to say I disagree with you, but it just seems that he's not fit to be a head coach just yet.

The Warriors have hired Mike Malone, now former assistant to New Orleans. I don't know anything about him except he was a candidate for the Warriors' head coaching position. Supposedly he's a good x's and o's guy and preaches defense.

There's another rumor that Eric Musselman will be joining Mark Jackson as an assistant.

This seems to make sense as Mark Jackson needs help with the logistics of running a team (practices, compiling data, etc.)

19. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I didn't expect this because Jackson has no coaching experience anywhere. Is that worse than hiring a college coach like Mike Montgomery?

Off the top of my head, I find myself agreeing with JVG more than Mark Jackson on the commentary, but will have to go with West, Myers and Lacob in the hiring. Jackson is a good commentator and good foil to JVG and the hiring of Mike Malone will be a big help with the work he did in NO.

20. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    A lot of people knock Jackson for his commentating and I guess to a degree you can speculate what kind of coaching philosophy he has but I also don't think putting too much weight on what he says on television. He's more or less an entertainer that is paid to opine and say things. Not really an apples to apples comparison between TV commentating and coaching.

Him having an an extensive playing career as a successful PG seems like something you can lean on more.

There just doesn't seem to be a standard formula for determining who would be a good coach. Too many variables, especially the roster.