Iguodala/Ellis being discussed

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by BigVolcano, Jun 6, 2011.

1. BigVolcano

BigVolcano Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Not sure why Philly wants Ellis when they have Turner who plays the same position.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6633355

2. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

This is a trade that a group of us on this board were hoping for during the season. I'm still on board for it now, of course. It just seems like it'd be a much better team synergy with Iggy/Curry than Ellis/Curry. Though, as you noted, odd for Philly to consider it (other than for monetary reasons).

3. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

I'm 50/50 on this. If we get Igudala we get bigger but we lose a lot of scoring/penetration and breaking down on opposing defenses. When Monta was hurt our offense looked horrible no one was able to get to the rim and it was all jump shots.

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Maybe the design is for Monta Ellis to be the point guard in front of Jrue Holiday.

I don't think Andre Iguodala is that great at scoring, but he does give us passing, ball handling, rebounding, and he can get into the lane. Plus, he should help us more defensively than Ellis. AI might help Curry's and David Lee's game.

5. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    That's an understatement. This would do so much for the Warriors. Iggy might not be a prolific scorer, but that's exactly what we need to get rid of. The Warriors need more balance and team play than Monta Ellis ISO plays.

6. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Makes no sense for Philly except to save some money. What happens to Lou Williams role on the team?

I love this move by the Warriors. It's not a complicated trade with several players involved and Iggy gives them exactly what they need.

7. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I'm in the minority, but am glad Jerry West kaboshed it (West talked about it. Not Riley. LOL.). A lot of teams want Monta, so the Sixers approached them. The deal didn't make sense for the W's.

Turner would have moved to SF. Sixers would probably keep Jodie Meeks at SG and sixth man and made Lou Williams available.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  8. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I can see why Phily would do it. Brand was their leading scorer at 15 ppg, no? They've got Jrue so they can make the back court work defensively. They need a bonafide scorer and someone to pit against the Brons/Wades/Joe Johnsons/Melos of the eastern conference. Monta isn't on their level IMO but who else is? Monta is pretty close as far as scorers go and remember they're fans of AI over there and Monta may be the closest thing to AI since AI.

9. BigVolcano

Turner is apparently taller than Iggy, so they may play him at the 3. Ellis and Holiday in the backcourt with Williams and Meeks of the bench. I can see Turner being that "do everything" player that Iggy was, plus he has a better shot.

Iggy is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and could certainly help the Warriors in that area. He is also a terrific rebounder, passer and decent scorer. I think its a good trade for both sides.

10. BigVolcano

Apparently Clippers have offered Kaman for Iggy. If i was Philly i would pick Ellis over Kaman but Kaman is a solid centre (when healthy) and it's something the Sixers desperately need. He is also a huge expiring.

11. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Listened to Bucher on the Damon Bruce show yesterday and Bruce asked him about Iggy-for-Kaman and Bucher said it was dead. I fuggin hate Bucher and think hes illegitimate but I believe he was the one who started the rumor in the first place.

Latest from TK, bolded key parts:
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...a-ellis-iguodala-kaman-biedrins-lee-and-more/

And here is the Berger article for reference:
    http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/29914237

Interesting that Ellis and Lee didn't get along. They seemed like the two vocal leaders of the team.

Some new teams being mentioned include the Hawks and Blazers. The Blazers actually have a lot of combinations to get a Monta deal done. Firstly, they're a team in playoff limbo who is good but doesn't have the punch to really contend. Lamarcus Aldridge just broke out but it came right when Roy's career took a turn for the worst. They could use a sidekick for LMA and a star wing player. Monta can work up there because Andre Miller is a big, defensive minded PG who can guard 2's and Roy is a big 2 who can run the offense.

They've got Camby (expiring contract), Wes Matthews, Batum, Oden, Rudy Fernandez, a lot of euros still stashed in Europe, a late first rnd pick. Gerald Wallace too but Lacob doesn't seem to be a fan and I doubt they move him.

As for the Hawks, Monta could be a fit next to JJ who has some facilitating skills. I don't see a lot of interesting pieces there though. I doubt they give us Josh Smith. Forget about Horford. No 1st round pick this season. Kirk Hinrich is an 8 mil expiring contract after next season. Jeff Teague is an ok prospect. I say hell no to Marvin Williams.

12. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

Lee and Ellis feuding? Sure doesn't look like it. I remember Lee praising him in an interview after a game saying he's the best player he has ever played with. I just don't see it. Even on the court they seem to get along talking to each other on the court, picking each other up and all that.

13. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    This is pure speculation, but Ellis seems like a bit of an introvert. He cares about his family and could probably care less about his teammates outside of basketball. Lee is an outspoken person who is charismatic but also can be viewed as someone who you just want to stop talking. I could understand if Ellis didn't want anything to do with Lee outside of the basketball court, all things considered.

14. Shapecity

From the is of players above I think Nene would be the best deal. Josh Smith is also intriguing.

15. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    Would love me a Josh Smith. I guess David Lee would move to C, which he seems to do better as anyway.

16. Shapecity

Ellis Prefers the Bulls ...

SJ Mercury News