Guillermo Jones withdraws with injury

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by truebluefan, Jun 20, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Cruiserweight titlist Guillermo Jones suffered a back injury when he tripped getting out of the ring after a training session, forcing him to withdraw from Saturday's title defense against Ryan Coyne.

"I'm absolutely dejected, I am still," Coyne told ESPN.com from his training camp in Colorado Springs, Colo., on Saturday night. "I was in shock when I heard. I couldn't believe it. I trained hard, I left my family behind, and I've been living under a rock and giving it my heart and soul for eight weeks, and it's not going to come to fruition."

The fight was due to take place at the Family Arena in the St. Louis suburb of St. Charles, Mo., Coyne's hometown, on the untelevised undercard of an HBO tripleheader.

Read more: Cruiserweight titlist Guillermo Jones suffered a back injury when he tripped getting out of the ring after a training session, forcing him to withdraw from Saturday's title defense against Ryan Coyne.

"I'm absolutely dejected, I am still," Coyne told ESPN.com from his training camp in Colorado Springs, Colo., on Saturday night. "I was in shock when I heard. I couldn't believe it. I trained hard, I left my family behind, and I've been living under a rock and giving it my heart and soul for eight weeks, and it's not going to come to fruition."

The fight was due to take place at the Family Arena in the St. Louis suburb of St. Charles, Mo., Coyne's hometown, on the untelevised undercard of an HBO tripleheader.

Read more: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=6678163