Warriors draft Klay Thompson, Charles Jenkins, Jeremy Tyler

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Discuss.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. Run BJM

Re: Warriors draft Klay Thompson

From Woj:

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

My first thought ... bye bye Monta Ellis ?

I thought Jerry West was using Klay Thompson as a smoke screen when the reports came out he was impressed with Klay. The Warriors have two backcourt players who can really stretch a defense now and they need to find balance by acquiring a back to the basket post player.

Will Klay be able to defend two guards?

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Would Kawhi Leonard or Alec Burks been better selections ahead of Klay?

5. Run BJM

Seems like Klay proponents think his footwork on defense is quite good and although he isn't a speed/jump athlete hes got the lateral quickness and requisite "good feet" to defend in the NBA. He looks like a big of a string bean but he did weigh in at 206 lbs. and at 6'7 with a 6'9 wingspan he could be a 3. Quickness wise probably could keep up with most 3's but ideally I think you want him at the 2.

I'm interested to see how good this guy is. Spurs may have wanted him. Bucks allegedly wanted him. GS was afraid he wouldn't make it to 11. Is he a Ray Allen/Allen Houston/Kevin Martin? Mike Miller?

Don't think this necessarily means anyone is gone but with Curry/Monta/Reggie/Klay we have a lot of scoring, no defense guards. As good as Dorell was imagine Klay getting all those open 3's at the SF spot too. Wouldn't say this makes a trade imminent but it probably makes us more comfortable moving Monta, Reggie, or DW (I know people don't want to move him but hes a trade chip with some value).

And once again when asked whether Monta is getting moved the GS people never say "no" they just say "we're not shopping him" or "I told him hes on the Warriors so hes on the Warriors" or some other vague statement.

6. Run BJM

Jazz play-by-play guy, David Locke, scouting Klay Thompson:

[video=youtube;plJG2gjZVWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plJG2gjZVWY[/video]

Hate to be that guy who compares prospects to guys who look physically like him but damn he looks a lot like Kevin Martin in everything he does IMO.

7. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement

First, I want to see how the back court shakes out.

It could be bye bye Stephen Curry. Klay can play some SF. It depends on if we can get Deron Williams or Chris Paul.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  8. jason bourne

Law enforcement

He looks like KevMart and moves like him, but I think he shoots like Jerry West. This guy is a great shooter. I'm ecstatic with the pick and trust West.

I was hoping Valanciunas or Kemba Walker would fall.

Since that didn't happen, I think I would have preferred Kawhi Leonard because of his size and wing span, but his shooting was suspect and I think he was more a SF than a SG. Second would have been Burks.

9. Run BJM

Some interesting nuggets: Spurs had that "secret" workout for him as I posted above. Burks was taken with the very next pick by the Jazz...wonder if they would have taken Klay if he was there. Larry Riley has said Kawhi was not an option for them at 11. Said he would have been if they moved down a few slots. When asked about Chris Singleton he said he was an option at 11. Kawhi was later drafted at 15 and the Spurs liked him enough to trade George Hill for him. Singleton went 18 to washington.

Should be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Perhaps I'm being optimistic but I think Klay is a guy who would look better as a 2nd/3rd option and playing off the ball. Not a knock on his career at WSU at all but he had to be a ball handler and facilitator. He could be downright nasty if he plays next to a couple guys who command double teams.

What do you guys think of this comparison- shorter Peja Stojakovic?

10. Run BJM

Random MTII tweet:

11. Run BJM

lmao crowd booing Stern every time he comes out now. I feel like this is normal but the first time I've ever heard Stern acknowledge it "uhhh Thank you for that."

12. jason bourne

Law enforcement

First, thanks to the Sacramento Kings for that 3-way trade when they could have taken Fredette at #7 :lol:. If that deal didn't go down, then #10 could have been Klay.

Second, listen to what Klay said after he was selected. He's confident that he is more than a guy playing off the ball. He wants to handle the ball.

—-KLAY THOMPSON conference-call, partial transcript/

-Q: Your reaction to getting drafted by the Warriors?

-THOMPSON: I couldn’t be happier joining an organization like the Warriors, being close to home with new ownership and just the new direction they’re going in.

Just gives me chills thinking about it. Just a dream come true. Can’t wait to get up there and start training.

-Q: Your name was connected to the Warriors for weeks now. Was this at all a surprise?

-THOMPSON: I’d say it was a surprise just because you’re sitting there for a while, about 40 minutes, just so anxious to get up there and shake the commissioner’s hand.

It was a pretty amazing feeling. I felt like I made a good impression on them when I went out there for my workout last week.

I couldn’t be happier to join the Warriors.

-Q: With Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry on this team, where do you think fit in the backcourt situatoin?

-THOMPSON: I feel like my first year or two I can come ff the bench and provide a great scoring punch, score in bunches and also playmaking. I feel like I have great court vision, can handle the ball, can swing between three positions, 1-2-3, be that guard they need off the bench for a young and talented team.

-Q: Donnie Walsh compared your shooting to Reggie Miller. Can you explain why he’d make that comparison? And talk about the evolution of your shot?

-THOMPSON: I’d say I got a work out with the Knicks and I shot it great that workout. Me and Reggie have a similar build, same age, played in the Pac-10, with similar games as far as coming off screens and being able to shoot the 3.

I’m not even close to Reggie Miller yet, not even in the same category… That dude’s a Hall of Famer. It’s really humbling to her Mr. Walsh say that.

As far as my shot, I always had a great jump shot since I was a kid. That’s going to be my calling card.

-Q: What do you need to improve?

-THOMPSON: Obviously just keep working on my strength and lateral quickness because I’m going to be asked to guard three positions from 1 to 3.

Strength is probably my biggest issue because I’m going to be going against some aggressive 2s and 3s at the next level…

But yeah, if I keep working at it I think I can be a great defenssive player in this league one day.

-Q: When did you know you’d be going to the Warriors? There was a trade right in front of them…

-THOMPSON: Honestly before that I had no idea… The Bucks had a lot of interest in me then they traded that pick so I was a little nervous at that there.
    -Q: You said last week that your dad would love for you to play for Mark Jackson and that Jackson would want you to shoot a lot. Have you heard that from Jackson?

-THOMPSON: I talked to him briefly after I got drafted. We didn’t really talk about basketball much. He told me to enjoy the moment, that he was excited to have me.

He’s a very personable guy. I know he’s got a lot of confidence in his team already. I’m just pumped I get the opportunity to play for him.

-Q: How much has your dad helped you through this process?

-THOMPSON: If I need to turn to anybody, he’s always been there. Don’t have to reach out to anybody else. I know he’s got my best interests, too. He’s had to prepare for this process. He always stresses act like a professional, clock management, be patient, it’s a logn season and if I play my cards right, a long career.

-Q: How much were you around NBA locker rooms growing up?

-THOMPSON: I was around there a lot, especially as a little kid… that helped a lot just seeing how the pros prepare themselves and how hard they work.

I really learned from that experience. I couldn’t trade it for anything. I was very grateful for that opportunity that my dad gave me.

-Q: You feel like you’ve come a long way from your high school days?

-THOMPSON: I just feel like I was overlooked in high school and college a little bit. I feel I’ll be overlooked in the NBA as well.

I’ll have another opportunity to prove myself. Being under-recruited I think got me to where I am now. I was able to go up to Washington State and be the main guy up there.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...-warriors-his-role-and-his-fathers-influence/

Jerry West on Klay:
    Jerry West, whom the Warriors hired about a month ago as a member of their executive board, spoke glowingly of Thompson in the days after he was hired. West had a relationship with Thompson's father, Mychal Thompson, who played for the Lakers while West was the GM there.

Thompson is a player with NBA shooting range and was able to make a play off the dribble in college. Where he'll be challenged early in his career is at the defensive end. Then again, he's not any different from most rookies in that regard.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/23/11/.../l_gswarriors.html?blockID=537114&feedID=2799

13. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I feel that Leonard would have been a much better choice, both in need and in potential. But Thompson had so much buzz around the league from multiple teams that there must have been some amazing workouts/shootouts that he performed. So, I'm not going to complain on this one and just hope that he turns out great. I don't think he's as good a shooter as Peja. I see him somewhere between Marco Belinelli and Rudy Fernandez at best, who have both carved niches in this league at least, but are fringe starters who can shoot though aren't really relied upon.

The Warriors really leaked this one, and seem to have a pretty bad history with leaking who they like. Guess it hasn't really hurt, though, since every player leaked seems to have been available by the time the Warriors have picked.

14. Clif10

Clif10 Member

Who is going to be the better player Klay Thompson or Charles Jenkins? It looks like Jenkins was a good player in college. I like his stats. I think he is an upgrade for a backup PG from what we had last season. It looks like both players have good offensive potential.

Despite all of these comments in the media about this opening a move for Ellis, I think this team really needed a backup PG and SF. So I think these two fit pretty well. The other center player Jeremy Tyler is definitely a project. But at least he was a second round pick.

15. Clif10

Clif10 Member

16. Run BJM

And that article links to another article that poses some very impressive statistics about him. I like that pick. For sure not a pure PG but as a reserve I like my PGs to be dynamic scorers and intelligent players. He seems like both. Also hes a monstrous 220 lbs. at only 6'3.

17. Run BJM

A lot has been made of Donnie Walsh comparing Klay to Reggie Miller. The Walsh, SA Spurs, and Jerry West praise looks good but its still hard to believe in this draft that a guy like that would fall to 11.

Love that Lacob bought a pick and did so with a high-potential big guy. Not a big fan of Jeremy Tyler but hes certainly got potential and I think Mark Jackson will be a good guiding force for him. Would love to add a big man coach to the coaching staff to help out Tyler and Udoh though...

18. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

We'll see how this pick pans out. I really wanted Alec Burks but maybe the Warriors saw that this guy doesn't shoot well with the ball.

19. Clif10

Clif10 Member

Too bad there is no Summer League this year. I really wanted to see these picks play.