The Idiot might have a good idea

Discussion in 'NHL General' started by Big Frame, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...s?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl14|sec3_lnk2|72631

Bettman presented a proposal that would make the NHL a two-conference league with a total of four divisions, according to a report by Canadian media outlet QMI Agency.

Winnipeg will play the 2011-12 season as a member of the Southeast Division, which is where the franchise formerly competed as the Thrashers. Geographically, having a Manitoba-based team traveling to Tampa and Raleigh, N.C., on a regular basis isn't feasible.

Citing two league executives, reporter Bruce Garrioch said that Bettman's proposal, which was given at Tuesday's board of governors meeting, would establish four divisions: the Pacific, Midwest, East and South.

Each conference would have 15 teams, so there would be two eight-team divisions and two-seven team decisions under the proposal.

The NHL currently has six divisions -- the Northeast, Atlantic, Southeast, Central, Northwest and Pacific.

Also under the proposal, the Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets, who have been vocal about their desires to move into the Eastern Conference, would likely get their wish, according to the report.

Both of those teams play in cities located in the Eastern time zone, so a move would theoretically increase TV ratings and, possibly attendance, as well help build geographic rivalries and cut down on travel costs.

Red Wings senior vice president Jim Devellano, speaking to Sporting News' Craig Custance in May, was holding out hope that an Eastern move could happen for the 2012-13 season. “Fingers crossed, toes crossed, saying prayers,” Devellano joked.

Other details of the plan: the top four teams in each division would make the playoffs and each team would play a home-and-home against teams outside their division.

2. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

When I first heard this today, I was excited about it. I think it will be difficult to align the league. This is what I came up with. My only problem is both Detroit and Columbus going to the East. Theres to many teams that far east, I can only see one go to the conference. I have a problem with the Original Six split up though. If this happens, the teams all NEED to play more games against one another. The way I have this set up, the Blackhawks are the lone Original 6 team in the West. Thats one big problem I have with the current alignment.

Western Conference
    Pacific Division
    Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Sharks, Ducks, Kings, Coyotes, Avalanche
    Central Division
    Blackhawks, Blues, Blue Jackets, Predators, Wild, Jets, Stars

Eastern Conference
    Northeast Division
    Red Wings, Sabres, Senators, Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Bruins, Rangers, Islanders
    Southeast Division
    Penguins, Flyers, Devils, Capitals, Hurricanes, Lightning, Panthers

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

There is only ONE original six team coming to the Joe next year. The Norris division is sweet, I like being the big fish in the pond. Playing the Canadians and Bruins 50 times a year will stink. I like beating up on the Blues and the BJ's