Nene at the top of Warrior's wishlist, but how do they get him?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...e-warriors-wish-list-but-how-do-they-get-him/

Lots of interesting stuff in there. Lacob has repeatedly said we'd be plenty under the cap pretty much since the moment he took over. Either hes lying or he knows something we don't. The owners are asking for RIDICULOUS cap numbers but maybe they expect that realistically it will increase due to swapping it with a hard cap or something like that. Or maybe hes sure of an amnesty cut being available? In which case we would always have Biedrins' 9 mil we could drop.

Landing Nene would be pretty huge for us. That said I'm pretty weary of adding him for 90 mils. I'd still do it just because that is a BIG piece. But damn thats a lot of money tied up in Nene and Lee and how would that work if there is a hard cap? Those two would be making like 30 million a year by themselves.

I wonder if the front office would consider trading the newly drafted rookies to land Nene. IMO they did a pretty nice job of adding talent in this draft. And right now Klay and Jeremy Tyler are probably some of the more valuable assets on the club. If you could move Biedrins, Udoh, Klay, and Tyler for Nene would you do it?

Unless this master plan of getting 15+ mil under the cap works out I have a hard time seeing us land any of the really big name C's out there. Dalembert is even a bit of a stretch IMO but I'd be ok with him on a reasonable deal. I'm still in favor of seeing how much Yao will go for. What is interesting is that the Grizz and Mavericks haven't locked up Chandler and Gasol because they're paying BIG money to other players and a hard cap would make it difficult to keep them at the salaries they want.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I think Nene would help us out defensively and he's got a center's body. It could work. David Lee would probably have to do most of the rebounding because Nene was never known for being strong on the glass.

3. Clif10

Clif10 Member

I do not want Nene, especially for what he wants. He neither leads his team in rebounds nor blocks. He does not deserve more money than we are paying Andris. I do not want to see this team stuck with a big, long contract for a player we cannot build off, that will limit resigning better players, and limit adding similar players at a lower cost.

I would rather stick with Udoh, Biedrins, and Tyler and perhaps cheaper backup bigs at the moment.

4. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I agree with Clif10. No Nene. We may as well keep AB and let Udoh and him battle it out for starter.

I have no idea what happened to Dwight. I thought HE was at the top of the list since the Warriors made an offer for him.

5. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I like Nene, but not at that cost or even in that range. Not sure where the $90 million came from, but that's just crazy talk. I would rather ship out Ellis than absorb Nene with that potentially huge, overpriced contract just to make Ellis happy. As the article states, our team has so few tradeable assets, that I can't see us finding that piece without some drastic move.

6. Custodianrules2

I agree with Zhone. Nice piece, but not worth the price. If he rebounded he'd be worth it because the guy can move players underneath the basket and he can move with the ball decently for a 4 man.

Nene and Jeremy Tyler could be hard for less athletic 4's and 5's to guard.

7. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Nene is one of the top Bigs in the game. Without knowing what the cap is going to end up looking like, you can't comment realistically on what is too much or not. I'm for getting Nene or any other big that can make a difference now. As for Tyler, it is WAYYY to early to get excited about him. 3 or 4 years from now will be the window to judge him, not any time soon. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

8. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Well, I think with the cap, the "best case" scenario is that it would stay the same as it is now. The players don't seem fond of that flex cap, which might have raised the cap but also made it a hard cap in the end, probably ending up close to the current luxury cap. Instead the players seem to be fighting hard to just keep status quo.

So a $15 million per year contract (assuming they meant 6 years as the max, and 90 million spread over that amount) would have a same or similar effect on any team's cap in the future as it would probably now. Or, worse? For a 28 year old probably in his prime now (but unfortunately out of his prime in the latter part of his contract?) I just don't think Nene is worth bringing on at that price, and also not a good mesh with David Lee.

Of course I've been advocating on a total rebuild every offseason for years now, so I probably sound like a broken record as far as my opinion on taking big contracts. Larger markets like the W's seem to be scared to take such a risk, even when the W's have/had very little to lose otherwise in terms of sacrificing short-term wins, since our fans are continually buying tickets. Understandably, because even when you do take a risk to rebuild, it doesn't always pan out.

9. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect

You never really know. The league could pull another Alan Houston type of rule in a bargain. There's no real way to know what this is going to look like

10. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    We probably can't afford both Lee and Nene ceteris paribus. Who would you rather have Nene or Lee? I rather have Lee since we need rebounding.

11. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I'd rather have Nene. Lee was good at the beginning and end of last season but pretty meh for a large chunk of it (granted, NEVER played pick and roll and Wilson Chandler bit of a chunk of his arm off lol). If Lee is uber productive scoring, rebounding, passing, and FG%-wise then its a debate.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  12. Clif10

Clif10 Member

There are some interesting players that are free agents this year. http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/30283991

There aren't really the big superstar player. But there are some decent players there.

I am cautious about signing decent bigs to very large contracts. I do not want another Jason Caffey, Danny Fortson, Erick Dampier, Adonal Foyle, etc. etc. I think it could be fun to try to pick up a big that may be under the radar, that can flourish into something.

From the list in the link above, I like Josh McRoberts, Greg Oden, and then there is always Yao Ming. For a cheaper price and a decent health inspection into Oden and Yao, I would be more interested in these three players than breaking the bank for Nene.

To get a legit, proven, all-star quality big, I think going the trade route with a possible Monta Ellis package may be better and more plausible than breaking the bank for Nene.

13. jason bourne

Law enforcement
  14. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    I'm not too crazy about Nene because of his health, too. I can't disagree with the numbers he put up last year as they were his career numbers, but if Lee can get back to 2009 - 10 level, then he would be better than Nene. His career numbers project out that he is better than Nene.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/hollinger/_/id/2772/david-lee

15. Custodianrules2

I'm surprised we didn't pick Greg Monroe. Wasn't he rated as a high basketball IQ big man? I think maybe (correct me if I'm wrong) was that scouts thought he was too dominant on one hand and he didn't mix it up inside or play much D. Epke Udoh, however, was the guy that could play D and had a decent offense game.