OT - Stanley Cup coming to Portland on Aug. 17

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Aug 2, 2011.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Former Portland Buckaroo player Tom McVie is bringing the Stanley Cup to hockey fans in Portland.

The Winterhawks are hosting a Stanley Cup visit downtown at Pioneer Square on Wednesday, August 17, where fans will have the chance to see the Cup up close. The event will run from approximately Noon – 1:30 p.m. Fans can begin taking part in the activities and lining up to see the Cup at 11:30 a.m.

McVie, who resides in Vancouver, Washington, is a scout for the National Hockey League’s Boston Bruins, who won the Cup in June. As part of hockey tradition, players and members of team management from the winning team each get a day with the Cup, and as part of his day, McVie wants to share it with Portland’s hockey fans.

Fans will be able to get their picture taken with the iconic trophy, and get an up close look at the Cup which includes the names of every player to have won it engraved on its panels. Fans will also be able to participate in other hockey activities, including street hockey, an inflatable puck shoot game and much more.

“After nearly 60 years in hockey as a player, coach and scout, Tommy reached the pinnacle of the sport with the Bruins’ Stanley Cup win in June, and we’re honored that he’s chosen to share the celebration with hockey fans in Portland,” said Portland Winterhawks President Doug Piper. “The Stanley Cup is the most revered trophy in all of sports, and fans won’t want to miss this unique opportunity to see it up close.”

“The best years I’ve had in hockey have come playing and living in the Portland and Vancouver area, and to show my gratitude to the fans here I want to bring the most famous trophy in sports to them,” said McVie. “Winning the Stanley Cup has been the thrill of my lifetime. I’ve had a lot of highlights in my hockey career but this is the biggest one. I’m so excited that I get to bring the Cup here to show people what it is and what it means.”

McVie played for the Buckaroos from 1961-66, then for one game in the 1972-73 season. In 310 games with the team, he posted 168 goals and 153 assists for 321 points. After his playing career he embarked on a lengthy coaching career, including stints as head coach of the NHL’s Washington Capitals and Winnipeg Jets.

In addition to McVie, several other members of the Bruins also have ties to the Winterhawks, including former players Cam Neely (Boston Bruins President), Jim Benning (Assistant General Manager) and current Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference.

http://winterhawks.com/article/hawks-tom-mcvie-hosting-stanley-cup-on-aug-17

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

It's kind of a cool NHL tradition.

3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

The most important and iconic trophy in all of team sports....maybe in all of sports period