WOLF: Barack Obama’s remedial math lesson

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Denny Crane, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...amas-remedial-math-lesson/?page=all#pagebreak

WOLF: Barack Obama’s remedial math lesson
    Class warfare just doesn’t add up

By Dr. Milton R. Wolf -The Washington Times

Waving his finger at Americans, President Obama declared that income taxes must be increased, not on those who aren't even paying them, but rather on those who, despite already paying the whole of the bill, somehow still aren't paying their fair share. "This is not class warfare," defended the redistributor-in-chief, "this is math."

OK, Mr. President, I'll bite. How about this math?

Under Obamanomics, the unemployment rate has increased from 7.8 percent to 9.1 percent, and underemployment has increased from 14.0 percent to 16.2 percent. The average length of unemployment has increased from 19.9 weeks to 40.3 weeks. Median income has dropped from $52,029 per year to $49,445.

Since Mr. Obama has taken office, the total number of jobs in America has decreased from 142.2 million to 139.6 million. Most schoolchildren with a calculator would say that's a loss of 2.6 million jobs, but not Barack Obama. The White House has claimed that the stimulus created - or saved - 2.5 million to 3.6 million jobs. Off by 6 million, but close enough for government work, I suppose.

Now the administration claims that the president's new jobs plan will create 1.9 million jobs. Please, Mr. President, the few Americans fortunate enough still to have jobs beg you: Stop "creating" away so many of their jobs.

How about this math?

Under Obamanomics, the poverty rate has increased from 13.2 percent to 14.3 percent. The number of Americans living below the poverty level has increased from 39.8 million to 43.6 million. The number of Americans on food stamps has increased from 31.9 million to 45.2 million.

"This kind of poverty is not an issue I just discovered for the purposes of a campaign," Mr. Obama said in 2008. "It is the cause that led me to a life of public service almost 25 years ago." After witnessing the devastation of Obamanomics, however, one wonders if his poverty cause has been to eliminate it or create it.

How about this math?

Since President Obama took office, the average family's annual health insurance premiums have climbed from $12,068 to a record $15,073. A gallon of gasoline has increased from $1.82 to a painful $3.66. And a gallon of milk has increased from $2.65 to $3.39. The inflation rate has increased from 0.7 percent to 3.77 percent.

To be fair to the president, however, not all prices have gone up since he has taken office. The average single-family home value has dropped from $180,449 to $171,900. So there's always that.

How about this math?

Since Barack Obama and his Democratic allies in Congress took control of the national checkbook, annual spending has increased from an already mind-blowing $2.9 trillion to $3.8 trillion. The annual deficit has increased from an already shameful $438 billion to an unbelievable $1.5 trillion. Meanwhile, the national credit card balance has increased from $10.6 trillion to a maxed-out $14.7 trillion.

In 2008, Sen. Obama complained that President George W. Bush "added $4 trillion by his lonesome, so that we now have over $9 trillion of debt that we are going to have to pay back - $30,000 for every man, woman and child. That's irresponsible. It's unpatriotic."

Irresponsible, he said, before he tacked on another $17,000 for every man, woman and child. Unpatriotic. It's hard to disagree.

Or how about this math?

A CBS poll this week revealed that 7 in 10 Americans say President Obama has not helped the economy and just 35 percent approve of his handling of it. Gallup reports that a record-high 81 percent of Americans are dissatisfied with the government, including 65 percent of Democrats who say the same. Americans believe on average that the government wastes 51 cents of every tax dollar and, sadly, 49 percent believe "the federal government has become so large and powerful that it poses an immediate threat to the rights and freedoms of ordinary citizens."

Perhaps this explains why, according to a recent IBD/TIPP poll, just 38 percent of independents think the president deserves to be re-elected.

"I was not always the very best student that I could be," Mr. Obama told a high school audience last month. Of course, until he releases his college transcripts, we'll have to take his word that he eventually turned things around, but he did share an interesting insight. As for his list of favorite subjects, Mr. Obama said this: "I don't think ethics would have made the list."

Hmm. I don't think math would have, either.

Dr. Milton R. Wolf, a Washington Times columnist, is President Obama's cousin. He blogs at MiltonWolf.com.

2. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
  3. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Will the Moonie-owned Washington Times shovel mountains of numbers at us when the next Republican president makes employment a lot worse?

As our next cost-saving measure, we should withdraw our expensive permanent American military presence from Korea. Let's see what the crazy Moonie paper thinks of that.

I looked up Milton Wolf's blog. He is white, claims to be Obama's second cousin, and says he is Obama's great-grandparent's sibling's grandson. This is why I have always thought that the term "second cousin" is as bogus as the word "terrorist."

If he, not assistants, really writes all the articles on his blog, he is losing a hundred thousand dollars a year in doctor fees. I think it's assistants.

4. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    That's right. Ignore the facts in the article, attack the writer and publisher.

5. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Welcome to Barry Obama's 2012 campaign strategy. It's going to be ugly. The doofus certainly can't run on his record while in office, so the only strategy is going to be the politics of personal destruction.

6. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    God damn that was rape.

7. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I immediately thought of this.

thumbnail.jpg

8. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I don't think that this is a valid criticism of the WH's position.

Obama and his people are saying that the stimulus saved about three million jobs... saying that without the stimulus, that many more jobs would have been lost.

I'm not sure that it's accurate--and, since it seems difficult to disprove, I'm not sure that it's even very helpful--but I don't think that it's a question of being off by six million jobs.

Ed O.

9. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Obviously those Bush tax cuts saved at least 100M jobs.

10. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  11. Ed O

:)

I think that it's fair game to point out how accurate/silly the assertion is. I just didn't like the way that it was done in that piece.

Ed O.

12. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

The WH line was "created or saved". It was a joke from the get-go, and the fact is the labor force has gotten smaller since the Stimulus Bill was passed.

If he had pimped the bill with a "we'll only lose 3 million jobs over the next 3 years" and a "9% UE will be the new norm" message, I wouldn't criticize him for it. Instead, his message was that spending almost $1 trillion would mean that the UE would not surpass even 8%, and that the economy would turn around with this gov't spending. Instead, the bill has been a failure of historical proportions.

13. Ed O

It might be a bad assertion because it cannot be disproved, but I don't think that it stands to reason that it was an incorrect statement just because there was an actual job loss.

Ed O.