BJ Penn retires

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Oct 29, 2011.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

BJ Penn retired following his fight with Nick Diaz at UFC 137. Penn is a former UFC Lightweight World Champion and Welterweight World Champion, finishing with a career record of 16-8-2.

[​IMG]

2. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

An anti-climatic end to a career long on promise - and disappointment.

3. speeds

Few fighters are as divisive for fans. Wonderfully talented and exciting but lacking in desire and commitment. Too many excuses, too much wasted time. Could've been the best but never wanted or needed it badly enough.

Will be remembered for fighting in multiple weight classes, beating Matt Hughes twice, ditching the UFC belt and being fired, and with his mom suing the NSAC. His legacy every bit as inconsistent as he was.

4. speeds

Predictably, Penn's cornermen aren't so certain he will stay away. Strange how being financially invested in his continued career might make them think that.

5. Carden

Carden w00t

Bout freaking time. Penn is the most over rated fighter ever.

6. speeds

Penn has decided to take some time off and is now noncommittal about retiring.

7. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Not surprising. He seems like a very emotional guy and was in the heat of the moment. I do think that retirement has been on his mind as IIRC he had the same "I might be retiring" schtick after the Fitch fight. Hes still very much capable of being elite IMO. He just went to a draw with Fitch which is impressive. He won the first round against Diaz before Diaz' superior conditioning took over.

The problem is hes in weight class limbo. He should be at 155 but he lost to Edgar twice. Hes also lost to GSP twice although he certainly could have a case for getting another title should if he beat Diaz (or Fitch). Making an argument that he should get a 3rd shot at Edgar could be tough but he was mowing down everyone at LW before that. Nick had some interesting comments that Penn should be at 155 and that he should come train with Diaz to get into Diaz-type shape and try another run at 155. Getting away from his camp of yes-men and enablers could help him too. Who's to say he couldn't earn a title shot at 170 with a win over Fitch/Koscheck or Condit (who needs an opponent for SB weekend) though?

8. speeds

I don't know if conditioning was such an issue in this fight. He fought to the bell. I think getting punched 179 times in the head and 67 times to the body (including 90 power shots to both) just took it's toll. He's second best at both weight classes and I think that is the biggest reason for him retiring--he's in the same position that Kenny Florian, Jon Fitch, etc. are in--if you're not in for the title than you are fighting for money and especially in Penn's case, that just isn't enough motivation.

9. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

Yep, I agree. 2nd best now in each division.. gatekeeper sucks!!! BJ leaves it on the table. I thought he had him early in the 1st when he had is back with time to spare. That 2nd round was a clinic.. Once Nick tasted blood, he never let up. Just outworked him... Never seen BJ so busted up...He took the beating. lol

Thats respect right there!!! Good stuff. GO NICK!!! Calling out GSP!!! haha

[​IMG]