A Failure to Respond

Discussion in 'College Football' started by sov300, Nov 17, 2011.

1. sov300

sov300 GFX Team GFX Team

[​IMG]
    Believe me, I wanted to write something about the Penn State mess. I had a rough draft written. But I just couldn’t. In a debate one must stick to a side. Its winter, I didn’t want to pull out my flippy-floppy’s just yet. One side of me says that Penn State should have done a clean sweep and fired anyone remotely involved in the scandal. This whole mess reminded me of a quote from the Holocaust:
    “At first they came for the gypsy’s, but I did not speak out for I was not a gypsy.
    Then they came for the homosexuals, but I did not speak out for I was not a homosexual.
    Then they came for the disabled, but I did not speak out for I was not disabled.
    Then they came for the mentally retarded, but I did not speak out for I was not mentally retarded.
    Then they came for the Jews, but I did not speak out for I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.”

Basically if you see something speak out! It doesn’t matter if it’s your best friend or your assistant coach. The world would be a lot better if some brave people spoke up.
    By now you all know the story. McQuery saw the act being done but he only told Joe Paterno. Paterno only told the athletics director. The athletics director only told the athletics president. Really? Did anyone have the common sense to tell the ******* police. I mean really. C’mon man. The failure to act by Penn State ruined a franchise. But let me get this known to everyone. Right now this is more then football. Sports journalists will always tell you that sports mimics life. Deep done we know that is a lie. There is a very thick line between sports and real life. This isn’t supposed to happen in the world of sports. Rape. Murder. Violence: three words that are not supposed to exist in the bubble of the sports world. Recently, though, they have become all too common.
    Why don’t I write about something else other then sports? Because in war Tim Tebow can’t lead a game-winning drive and leave it all behind. Because in inner city shootings Coach K can’t get his boys to rally and win. There are no wins. Because when someone is raped there is no Game 2. Because in sports a deranged man can’t molest little kids. Oh wait.
    The sports world is fake. But for a couple hours we get to leave the trials of the human world and travel into a fabricated reality where the biggest scandal is LeBron James going to Miami. That’s why I love sports. The impossible happens. And by impossible I don’t mean a record number of deaths in Afghanistan. The news scares me. But sports, sports can open my mind up.
    So when these two worlds collide the result is a bunch of very confused fat men with a giant one painted on their bare chests. Penn State should just fire the whole program and move on. But I can’t write that without adding that this is Papa Joe we’re talking about. He was a grandpa to millions of Penn State faithful. I can’t even wrap my mind around new allegations that state Paterno was also involved in Sandusky’s crime. He wasn’t. Believe me, he wasn’t. I cannot believe for a second that the most loved man in college football…no. That is just wack.
    But back to Sandusky: just looking at his face makes me thankful we have criminals in this world. Because they pale in comparison to whatever this messed up man did in the showers. I have read and I have listened. I watched the Bob Costas interview. But most of all I read my favorite sportswriter of all time. I read Rick Reilly. You can read his piece here. Right now I’m in tears. I’m angry. Reilly highlights other victims of sexual abuse. The result is a hallowing look into the messed world we live in. Reilly wrote two pieces and each story he tells is more shocking then the next. Children whose hockey coaches took them to parent-approved sleepovers and 6-year olds dealing with the hurt of being sexually abused. I don’t know why any one would ever, ever want to ruin someone’s life that badly. What the **** happened in their life that they had to put these kids through a living hell? Why? Why? Why? Because I can’t find anything worse then being sexually abused. Believe me I tried. It was difficult. Right now I’m staring at a picture of the ******* in question. And if I ever met Jerry Sandusky I can tell you right now that I would get one really good punch on him. Right on his creepy looking jaw. All the stories that I’ve read would be capsuled in that punch. He committed an unforgivable sin. I will never forgive him.

Disclaimer: I am feeling better now. After an episode of My Little Pony and a nice glass of Arnold Palmer I’m feeling good. I apologize if my above words hurt anyone but at that moment I was very, very angry. Thank You and I hope you continue reading in the feature. Any questions or comments will be highly appreciated either below or at thelockerroomblog@yahoo.com! If you like my work please feel free to check me out full time at my very own website, The Locker Room!