Kwame Brown seeking starting spot

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by CB4allstar, Nov 25, 2006.

1. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>EL SEGUNDO ? It has only been three games since Kwame Brown returned to the Lakers lineup, and he has already made a good impression on Coach Phil Jackson. Jackson said Monday he is thinking about having Brown start tonight's game against the Clippers. Brown isn't getting the job done with big-time scoring, though that's something the Lakers would like to see. It's his defensive skills that have earned him praise and precious minutes. Brown's defense will be especially important tonight and in Friday's game against Utah. Jackson acknowledged that Brown has taken some big steps to get to where he is now but added the important steps are yet to come. Brown was slowed by a shoulder injury that forced him to miss the end of training camp and the first seven games of the season. He is trying to be patient by not trying to do too much and is still trying to learn what his shoulder will allow him to do. "I'm just taking it game by game and playing the minutes I get, trying to make the best of it," Brown said. "I came into camp with a lot of confidence, looking forward to building on last season. But injuries happen and the league doesn't wait on you. You just have to catch up. I'm trying to catch up and gain that trust back in my teammates. They feel a little hesitant to pass me the ball, but that comes with me getting in there and finishing." Brown's only field goal in Sunday's victory over the Chicago Bulls started with a pass from Kobe Bryant and ended with a dunk over forward Andres Nocioni. "That was a huge play and it (the shoulder) didn't hurt," Brown said. "I didn't even expect him (Bryant) to pass it. He kind of threw it to me in motion, and I just went up." Brown, at least for his first three games, has been playing behind center Andrew Bynum. Coming off the bench is not something Brown wants to continue doing, and Jackson doesn't want Brown to get comfortable in a reserve role. "He shouldn't be comfortable at all," Jackson said. "He should be striving to be a starter and that's a challenge that I think he wants." Until he becomes a regular fixture in the Lakers' starting lineup, he'll have to catch up and prove he can do the work on both ends of the court. "We played with the big guys last week, and Kwame really showed his confidence in the post with the other big guys," Jackson said. "We're still waiting to see him flush out the rest of his game in a live-court situation."</div>He'll get it back eventually. He has more experience than Bynum, and his defense is definately a plus. I think Bynum would be good for an offensive spark off the bench. This should be a good future starting spot battle.

2. SirLaker

SirLaker BBW MOD

Yeah, I agree with you. I think Kwame is going to get his starting spot back eventually considering how well he has played lately.

3. melo

melo Magic

I want kwame at the 4. That would give us our best defensive lineup. Kwame has shown he can swat this year and bynum has shown his mere precense causes problems

4. SirLaker

SirLaker BBW MOD

Well, Kwame has been playing great since coming back from his injury...just take a look at his numbers:11ppg 7.7rpg 1.2bpg 1.2spg 55%fg :rock:

5. Illosophee

Illosophee BBW Elite Member

<span style="font-family:Lucida Console">I'd like to see Kwame come off the bench because he is playing better coming off the bench currently. His stats are pretty good.</span>

6. LightsOut

LightsOut BBW Elite Member

I agree with Melo. Bynum should stay a starter. It gives you a nice big frontcourt with Bynum at the five, Kwame at the four, and Odom at his natural position at the three. I've been saying since Kwame was hurt, this should be their eventual lineup with a Kobe/Smush backcourt.