Warriors eye Tyson Chandler

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by truebluefan, Dec 4, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Dallas Mavericks free agent Tyson Chandler will meet face-to-face this week with officials from the Golden State Warriors, Houston Rockets and New Jersey Nets, according to sources close to the situation.

Negotiations with the Mavericks have stalled, prompting Chandler to tell ESPN.com on Wednesday night: "I really think I'm going to be on a new team come training camp."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story...tate-warriors-houston-rockets-new-jersey-nets

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Interesting that GS and Chandler have booked one another as their first meetings of free agency.

I like that Lacob seems interesting in getting a quality C but I'd be really careful with Chandler. I do like him and I like his game but if he gets anything near what he is demanding then he's going to be drastically overpaid. I'd much rather blow a bunch of cash on a guy who can score inside or else go for the cheaper but less effective options such as DeAndre Jordan, Dalembert, Oden, etc. This years C crop has a lot of options and overpaying the guy who has zero offensive game seems the least desirable. Like I said, you could at least blow near-max money on a C in Nene who will score down low and give decent defense. If not then your next course of action is DeAndre Jordan who gives you both the youth and the production. Dalembert is a poor man's Chandler, I'd rather have him on a reasonable deal than Chandler on a crippling contract. Then you've got Oden, a huge risk, Spencer Hawes, a skilled young 7 footer who is more than serviceable, Alexis Ajinca is another skilled 7 footer with room to grow and could be had cheap. And then just for good measure you've got Chuck Hayes, Joel Przybilla, Kwame Brown, Nazr Mohammed and possibly Turiaf as vet bigs who can give you some decent playing time.

Keep in mind a year ago Chandler was in the bargain bin and the prior two years he didn't play a ton due to injury. I just don't know if I trust him or his health on a 15+ mil/year contract. Even if he is healthy hes not worth that much. Nice player who can help your team a lot but you just don't pay non-franchise players that kind of money. Look at how maligned D-Lee is because of his contract. We all know hes a decent enough player but just nowhere near worth what his contract is paying him. Chandler would be more of the same but it would really crippled us cap-wise.

This FA class is underrated IMO. Its definitely not top-heavy but it has depth and I think it could have some good value if we're patient. We could add a nice asset or two at a good price (a la Dorell Wright) instead of throwing a bunch of money at a C that, while helpful, won't change us into a contender over night.

3. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

I love the way Chandler but NOOOOOO! Way overpriced and will just kill any further moves. In many ways he'd be perfect, a true center who is a defensive ace and strong rebounder. Nicely paired with a PF like Lee.

I just don't see him making a huge difference because I think Monta/Curry cannot work. Now if Monta for Gay or Iggy is made, then Chandler/Curry/Lee/Wright/Gay can be the start of something.

4. i hate the warriors

i hate the warriors Slingboxing from LONDON

Agreed. $15m/yr on Chandler is kind of scary. I'm more scared of an injury than lack of production though. And speaking of exorbitant, crippling contracts...Rudy Gay gets paid $15m, $16.4m, $17.9m and $19.3m over the next four seasons...no thank you. Even Iguodala gets $13.5, $14.7m, and $15.9m, which is a lot of cash for a so-so scorer. I think I'd probably do Monta for AI, but still, in the last year of his contract he's getting $5m more than Ellis...something to think about.

5. philsmith75

I agree but I think I'd pay $5M for something more than a wrap around attempt for a steal everytime down on defense.

6. Run BJM

I wonder if the W's brass desires Chandler because of his success protecting Mavs' rim despite glaring individual weak spots on that team in the form of Nowitzki, JJ Barea, Terry, etc. They ran a lot of small back courts with Barea, Kidd, and Terry and it didn't kill them. They did start DeShawn Stevenson though I believe. Hes got experience covering up a sieve PF and a tiny back court.

7. bayareafan85

bayareafan85 JBB JustBBall Member

With NBA free agents allowed to officially sign contracts on Friday, Chandler has a deal from the Warriors in front of him worth more than $60 million over four years, according to two league sources.

Read more: Chandler has offer from Warriors
    Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/warr...fer-from-Warriors-?blockID=608184&feedID=2799

8. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Don't the W's think that if they can get Chandler locked up (in addition to the defensive reasons you mention, which I agree with) that they have a shot to extend CP3's contract...in which case giving up Curry might be an option?

9. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Well, the max he can get is 4/61.9M unless it's from Dallas, so I imagine it's based on where he wants to go.

EDIT: Messed up. Max he can get is 4/74.3 in a S&T, 4/73.2 otherwise.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  10. i hate the warriors

I haven't known what to think today. When I heard the news that we offered him the $60+ million, it sounded like it was pretty likely that he'd end up signing. Then, not long after, everybody is saying he's going to New York...I hadn't even really seen too much talk about him even going there up until then. Now it's Jordan or Nene??? Then there's all the Chris Paul talk....we're trading Curry...no, we're trading Ellis...wait, nevermind, it's not going down now. I guess it's a good thing that the W's are getting their name in the headlines regarding top tier players, but this soap opera shit is ridiculous.

11. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    I just bought my son a Curry Jersey.... But I'd be very, very excited if the front office went this direction

12. Run BJM

Looks like Chandler is headed to NYK. Surprised? Me neither.

I'm not very upset by this. Sucks that we got spurned and continue to be just another NBA bastard franchise. But I'm perfectly content avoiding Chandler on a 4 year deal at 15 mil per year.

Apparently we've shifted focus to DeAndre Jordan. Really hope we don't overpay him but I could get on board with giving him up to 12 mil a year...which I know is overpaying based on actual production but how else can you get him away from the Clips? Its only overpaying by maybe 2 mil a year or so and he could actually grow into that contract.

Haven't heard that much about the Nene market. Seems like we're focused on getting a defensive minded C.

13. i hate the warriors

Bay Area Sports Guy posted this on twitter, food for thought:
    DeAndre Jordan's career averages (per 36 minutes): 10.3 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 2.4 bpg. Adonal Foyle: 8.2 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 3.3 bpg.

and also

DeAndre Jordan's career FT%: .414 ... Andris Biedrins' career FT%: .511

14. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

My biggest problem with Jordan are his fouls on defense. I haven't looked up the stats, but the games I've watched him, he's been extremely foul-prone trying to go for blocks.

15. philsmith75

Jordan is the classic case of chasing someone who is the big fish in the small pond. He's OK, but not worth spending that much $$ on. He's going to kill the salary cap going forward, just like Biedrins and Lee are doing right now.

Nene is an above average big man but not really what I'd call a "must have."

Damn, woke up thinking there was a possibility of Paul/Curry/Lee/Chandler and just 10 hours later, no chance.