Hornets engaged in serious CP3 talks

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by bayareafan85, Dec 6, 2011.

1. bayareafan85

bayareafan85 JBB JustBBall Member

The details of offers surrounding talks with Dallas and Golden State weren't known, though Yahoo Sports reported that the Warriors' offer centered around Stephen Curry and rookie Klay Thompson.

UPDATE: Independent of the Paul situation, the Warriors are among the teams with the most serious interest in free-agent center Tyson Chandler, and the interest is mutual. Paul reportedly has let it be known that a team like the Warriors or Clippers signing Chandler, his former teammate in New Orleans, would enhance its chances of getting a long-term commitment from him -- a scenario confirmed by front office executives Tuesday.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/33733675

2. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I'm glad the Warriors are trying their best and trying to hit a home run, but I am against the trade as rumored. Unless somehow the Warriors also trade Monta or Lee for Dwight Howard or some other impossible trade scenario, the trade alone of Curry/Thompson/Filler for Paul, with signing Chandler, puts the Warriors in a rough long term situation as far as flexibility.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I say go for it. Love Curry but Paul is a HOF talent right now. Udoh is decent and I'm not very high on Klay, don't have many qualms about letting them go for Paul.

What I don't understand is if Paul wants so badly to play with Dwight then why is he suggesting that the top suitors sign Chandler? Couldn't the W's/Clippers trade for him, amnesty a big contract in the offseason, sign DW (this is suspect though, as he would take a big hit in salary signing outright with another team), then sign Paul to an extension?

4. i hate the warriors

i hate the warriors Slingboxing from LONDON

I agree, I would do that trade if CP would sign an extension. If he doesn't agree, I don't know if it's worth the risk. I don't even want to think about CP3 & Howard on the W's...it's just not fair to tease myself like that.

5. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

I do not trade Curry, Thompson & Udoh for 66 games of Paul. What if he strains his knee again then opts out? Great. Just blew up your roster for 20 games of a HOFer. I saw the 49ers do that for OJ Simpson and no thank you. You need to at least get 2 years of a guy. Curry is/could be very special. He's only played 2 years.

In very many ways, I hate this thinking, trading to get OLDER while the salaries go HIGHER. Especially when CP doesn't want to be here. Even with CP & Chandler, does that really get you that close?

6. Run BJM

In another interesting turn of events the Clippers have claimed Billups off waivers. They either declined the option on DeAndre Jordan or amnestied Mo Williams...most likely amnestied Mo. Also read that they may accept the offer sheet for DeAndre to get him into camp ASAP. Billups is no CP3 but a Billups/Gordon/Caron Butler/Griffin/Kaman starting 5 with Jordan, Bledsoe, Aminu, Ryan Gomes off the bench is a nice club. Oh by the way they own Minnesota's 1st round pick in 2012...maybe they get land Austin Rivers or some other stud PG then.

NO is screwed. NBA/Stern won't accept veteran players for Paul. Clips refused to trade Gordon. W's have thus far refused to trade Curry. NO doesn't want Rondo. Don't see any other options out there for them. They've gotta take a bad deal one way or the other. Maybe Stern is the owner who actually has the balls to give the middle finger to the player and tell them to take 20+ mils less on the open market.

7. Run BJM

Correction: Because DJ's caphold was only $1 million, not the ~$10 million from his offer sheet, the Clips do not have to amnesty Mo Williams. Expected to match DJ as well. They could just amnesty him anyway to save money though.

8. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Without Gordon I think the Clips' deal blows. They had little to offer aside from Gordon and maybe a nice player with that pick.

9. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member