Brandon Rush

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by bayareafan85, Dec 18, 2011.

1. bayareafan85

bayareafan85 JBB JustBBall Member

2. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I was looking towards the 2012 free agency and getting as much cap as we can. Sweet Lou's contract was expiring. Rush's deal costs more per year $2.96 vs $2.4 M and he's got a qualifying offer of $4.1 for 2012/13. Can we rescind his qualifier? Rush can get hot and can rebound, but I don't think he's a long-term fix.

3. bayareafan85

bayareafan85 JBB JustBBall Member

If the Warriors don't submit the qualifying offer by June 30th he becomes an unrestricted free agent after this season. If they make the offer he is a restricted free agent and the W's get the right to match another teams offer sheet like the Clippers matched DeAndre Jordan's.

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I would imagine you can renounce any cap hold that might exist in declining the QO. Not sure though.

I like this trade as long as we do have the option to renounce him in the offseason and get more cap room should we need it. Lou's a so-so player but hes kind of lost in the shuffle. Hes got PF size and a C game, but we already have Beans and Kwame at C who have similar skillsets. At PF its hard to justify giving him any burn over Lee and Udoh.

As for Rush, he sounds kind of like a Mickael Pietrus type of wing based on Pacers fans' reports. Very athletic, good size for a wing, poor handles, very good spot up shooter, willing defender but inconsistent on defense (as well as offense). He gives us quality depth and competition for Klay and MCGuire. IMO we won this trade from a talent and upside perspective as well and I'm always for adding talent.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  5. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    The cap hold is gone if they don't offer the QO. At least it was that way in the last CBA; I don't suspect that it's changed.

I think the trade was pretty even, but the W's roster is improved by the deal.

6. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Both Denny and bayareafan85 are right. I saw under Larry Coon and it states, "In order to make their free agent a restricted free agent, a team must submit a qualifying offer to the player by June 30. This prevents the team from not offering a contract and waiting to swoop in when the player tries to sign elsewhere. The qualifying offer ensures that the team does not gain the right of first refusal without also offering a contract themselves."

I do not think the qualifying offer was made by the Pacers, so the Warriors still have until June 30th to evaluate and Rush has max incentive to improve his fortunes -- a 30% bump from his salary of $2.96 M to $4,089,058.

Between Reggie Williams and Rush, I rather have Reggie, but Rush's contract provides for more flexibility. Reggie did not get the burn last season because of his lack of defense and Smart. Under Nelson, he got a lot of burn and was able to score a lot of points in very few minutes. I believe Reggie is a better streak shooter.

People like Rush's defense, but his play has been very streaky. Last season, he was given the starting SG nod over MDJ and he could not hold on. He had the chance for the minutes, but could not keep it, so his "defense" did not keep him on the floor.

However, his contract offers makes him a nice addition for this season.

7. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I don't know anything about this player unless you count the fact I had this guy on my nba2k11 team. I would just pass him the ball when he was wide open and he would make all his shots. The other situation I used him in was to move without the ball and he went inside and scored a layup or got an uncontested dunk.

Anybody know what his game is like aside from streaky jump shooting, mediocre handles and average defense?