PRESEASON

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by EPJr, Jan 23, 2012.

1. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

Timbers players return to JELD-WEN rested and ready for 2012
    Head coach John Spencer and squad excited to get to work on the new season

[​IMG]

With a classic Portland gray January morning as the backdrop, the Portland Timbers started their 2012 campaign with preseason fitness drills and training at JELD-WEN Field today. Veterans, rookies and draft picks all took part in what is the first step of Year Two.

“It’s always good to get the guys back,” said head coach John Spencer. “They’re such a good bunch of guys to be around personally as well as professionally. There’s some new faces and I think they’re going to be good additions to the group that we already have.”

And while 2011 was a memorable season to be sure, today also was also a chance to begin looking forward.

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2012/01/timbers-players-return-jeld-wen-rested-and-ready-2012

2. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    How about that 4-1 win over the Galaxy?!

3. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    It's very nice to be scoring goals this early in pre-season. I'm anxious to see Boyd play at the end of the month. Hopefully his visa gets sorted soon.

4. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I just hope Boyd is training hard right now. I don't think it's a good idea to leave a young Scotsman alone with a lot of cash and no one around to supervise him. :lol:

5. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    As long as he scores goals I don't give a shit what he does in his spare time! :)

6. EPJr

Timbers draw Impact 0-0 in preseason match
    Despite fast paced second half, game ends scoreless

[​IMG]

CARSON, Calif. -- The Portland Timbers fought to a 0-0 draw against new MLS side Montreal Impact today. Timbers head coach John Spencer opted again today with two separate lineups for both halves though trialist goalkeeper Joe Bendik played the full 90 in the shutout. Bendik's key saves towards the end of the first half helped continue Portland's undefeated run in the 2012 preseason (1-0-1).

While the second half saw numerous changes in posessions and a few chances on goal as both sides hunted for the gamewinner, the match ended scoreless.

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2012/02/timbers-draw-impact-0-0-preseason-match

7. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

How many preseason games are there?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
  8. EPJr

Timbers 2012 Preseason Match Schedule (subject to change)
    Tuesday, Feb. 7 – Timbers vs. LA Galaxy in Carson, Calif.; 10:30 a.m. (Pacific)
    Friday, Feb. 10 – Timbers vs. Montreal Impact in Carson, Calif.; 10:30 a.m. (Pacific)
    Sunday, Feb. 12 – Timbers vs. Houston Dynamo in Carson, Calif.; 10:30 a.m. (Pacific)
    Wednesday, Feb. 15 – Timbers vs. Chicago Fire in Carson, Calif.; 11 a.m. (Pacific)
    Monday, Feb. 27 – Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes at JELD-WEN Field (tournament); 7:30 p.m. (Pacific)
    Thursday, March 1 – Timbers vs. Chivas USA at JELD-WEN Field (tournament); 7:30 p.m. (Pacific)
    Sunday, March 4 – Timbers vs. AIK (Sweden) at JELD-WEN Field (tournament); 5 p.m. (Pacific)

9. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    They have 1 more down in SoCal and then 3 in PDX.

10. EPJr

For Timbers, chippy tie against Quakes a perfect test
    [​IMG]

“I thought, I mean, for a preseason game to get 15,000 people through the gates is incredible,” Timbers head coach John Spencer said. “It doesn’t feel like a preseason game, and I think that there’s a lot of positives we can take from the game.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/28/timbers-chippy-tie-against-quakes-perfect-test

Own-goal costs Portland as they tie San Jose 1-1
    [​IMG]

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/28/own-goal-costs-portland-they-tie-san-jose-1-1

11. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Bad play by Mosquera. We should have won last night.

12. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

I cant put too much of that on Mosquera. The pass that Jean-Baptiste made right in our own 3rd that was intercepted was horrendous. Good learning experience for the young lad though. Will be nice to see this team with all its starters playing together.

13. Wheels

I was impressed with Kawulok last night also filling in at Right Back. Hope we sign him and give him some reserve league burn to see if he can grow into a pretty good player. Lord knows we need cover at Right Back (one of our weakest positions IMO)

14. Wheels

also. Its from just a few photos and not video, but still what a pretty goal.

[​IMG]

15. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Alhassan's goal was awesome. I seriously thought he was hitting a cross and then it went in. LOL. He's always trying shit like that though.

16. Wheels

yeah at first most of the TA must have thought it was just a mishit cross lol

17. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Question

Besides Boyd/Cooper, who are the key additions and subtractions? What is our outlook this year, better then last, playoffs?

18. Wheels

We got a Winger named Franck Songo'o who is Cameroonian, who should be pretty good. He came up through the Barcelona youth system with players like Messi, Fabregas and Pique. We also got another Defender to add depth in Hanyer Mosquera who should help and bolster the backline. Eric Alexander isnt new as he was here the last half of last season, but he is a player. (Capped for the USMNT) And I have high hopes for him.

Last year we only missed the playoffs by 4 points, and that was with a bad Backline for half the season, and virtually no scoring from our midfield other than Jewsbury. This year we have Chabala and Palmer here to start the year (still shaky, but much better than what we started with last year) and Songo'o and Alexander, and Chara to hopefully add some finishing touches to the midfield. Nagbe also may play as striker this year which he could be deadly up top. And even though you know about Boyd, he should add some big time scoring opportunities that we didnt get last year with Cooper drifting out wide and falling.

Def improved with depth, and competition which pushes guys harder to get better. Playoffs should be a real possibility, but the western Conference is stacked this year.

19. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    We'll definitely be better. Songo'o is the guy that could be a HUGE difference maker. If we stay healthy I think we're a shoe-in for the playoffs. That's a big "If" though as Blazer fans certainly know. :lol:

20. Wheels

Remember though the playoff format has changed. Now its strictly top 5 from each conference. So while we were 4 off from Playoffs last year, I believe we were 7 Points off from The nearest Western Conference team. Right now LA Galaxy, Real Salt Laker, FC Dallas, and possibly Seattle are deeper than us. I wouldnt be surprised to see us fighting for the last spot, but I wouldnt think "Shoe in" personally.