Pac-12 Competition

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by Zalsa, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

So, in the Pac-12, people call it one of the worst BCS conferences in NCAA football, only above the Big East. However, we do have our quality opponents here on the West Coast to make a claim that we are on par with maybe the Big 12.

USC: Need I say more? Offensive juggernaut in LA headed by possible winner of the Heisman and #1 Draft Pick Matt Barkley.
    Weakness: Their Defense has taken a hit, as well as their Left tackle spot.

Washington: They amazed us at the Alamo Bowl against RG3, and have had some good games as well. In addition, their offense is the best I've seen and with a new defensive staff, could become a battle in the north. Not to mention a QB that is a poor man's RG3(draft and Heisman wise). Also, they are playing against LSU this year as well.
    Weakness: Obviously their defense is atrocious. This can be remedied with their new staff though, not to mention True Freshman Shaq Thompson will make an impact. They have also lost Chris Polk, their star RB.

Stanford: Stanford has been on a rise the last few years, and new Head Coach David Shaw is a decent coach, with an awesome power running game by star running back Stefan Taylor. Their defense isn't too shabby either.
    Weakness: Ironically, this years weakness was last years strength: Offense overall. Their QB position will probably not meet up to Andrew Luck standards, and they lost ALOT of their recievers and O-Line. I forsee them undergoing a Rebuilding year.

Utah: First year in the Pac-12, the Utes did alright playing with a big boys. Their defense one of the best in nation and they had a solid running game. I mean, these guys held Barkley under 20 points!
    Weaknesses: They lack a passing attack and a good QB, but maybe they will give USC a run for their money.

I think the true competition here in the north will be Washington, while down South it's clearly USC. Stanford won't be able to return to prominence for a while and Beavers, Wazzu, and all of Arizona and Cololorado. Utah is clearly a dark horse in the South, maybe all of the Pac-12 even.

Oh, and Bruins will never be good. Ever.

2. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

sports fans are known for letting their emotions overtake logic. They want their team/conference to look good, so they put down others they don't root for. Since the country filled up East to West, we're consistently on the side that the overall population doesn't have a rooting interest in or care much about. That the Pac-12 isn't getting respected nationally in football is expected, that's a West Coast thing.

Reality is often different then popularity polls. The Pac-12's results from a birdseye view rate right up there in athletics most any way you slice things up, and for good reason.... the numbers are on their side. According to the 2010 Census there were just over 308 million people living in the country. The combined populations of the Pac-12's recruiting grounds of Oregon Washington California Colorado Arizona & Utah is just under 62 million or roughly 20% of the total population. They also aren't overlapping much with sharing a state with schools from other major conferences (just Utah & Colorado), so we're the local schools to beat for the D1 kids who emerge from this huge slice of the population. Of course we see up and down years, but the Conference of Champions isn't just a slogan.

heres another interesting way to look at things from a birdseye view

http://www.holyturf.com/2011/04/nfl-players-conference-affiliation/

STOMP

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  3. Ghost Pepper

Ghost Pepper Active Member

USC has this year with Barkley and those two great recievers, then they are in the same boat as Stanford.... Difference is Lamo is not a good coach and even with all the talent they have this year, I still think Lamo will drop 2 this season..... we'll see!

4. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

just to point at the final rankings... 3 schools in the top 7 isn't all that bad

STOMP

5. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure year in and year out the Pac-12 is considered a top 3 conferences in the country. For example, last year, we were either the 2nd or 3rd best, debating whether you think that the Big 12 is better than us or not (though I think Stanford... the third best team in the pac 12 outplaying their best team in the BCS game proves that at least at the top we were a fair amount better than that conference).

And yeah, as STOMP said, we had 3 in the top 7 at the end of the year.

Now if the middle and bottom of the conference would start showing up more often, we would really be in business. I think the new coaches will help.

Also, don't overlook the fact that the revenue we have been getting for 2 BCS teams the past few years, and the new TV deals, will help even the lower tier Pac 12 schools start competing nation wide.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  6. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

That's what I meant. People claim that the SEC is best conference due to the fact that all of the teams there can play well. Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, SCAR, Auburn, Arkansas. Now added on with Texas A&M and Mizzou.

Now for the Pac-12 we have USC, Stanford and Oregon ranked in the top, so that's good. But the rest of our conference did a mediocre job. Basically, it comes down due to strength of schedule. SEC and maybe the Big 10 have a stronger schedule than us.

In order to make our arguement to be highly ranked easy, we should either:

1.) Invite some ranked opponents into Autzen for one of the first 3 games of the year. Like Boise State, Oklahoma State, or the Buckeyes for example.

2.) Ask to be invited to play away at ranked opponents place. Like at FSU or Notre Dame for instance.

7. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the Pac-12 championship game will be played at Autzen but our opponent won't be USC

But Utah instead?

8. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Yes, you are the only one who thinks that.

9. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

It's just that Utah has a very good defense and I think USC will hiccup against them, and the ducks, taking them out of the south. Washington's secondary will get burned obviously.

Besides, Utah has been on a slow steady rise to prominence. Just like how the Ducks were when Chip came to town in 2009.

10. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

11. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster