Trade Deadline 2012

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by philsmith75, Mar 12, 2012.

1. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Here's the latest:

In the proposed deal, sources said, Hornets center Chris Kaman is the best player who would have been headed to Golden State, with the Warriors also required to take back Magic forward Hedo Turkoglu while shedding Dorell Wright and out-of-favor center Andris Biedrins. The Warriors, sources said, have no interest in such a swap.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Warriors have been far more focused Monday trying to assemble a workable trade scenario to acquire center Andrew Bogut from the Milwaukee Bucks as opposed to engaging the Magic in trade talks, since Orlando is intent on acquiring Ellis to keep Howard.

Shedding Biedrins and Doreel for a Kaman rental and Turkoglu but losing Monta?

I am in favor of that; reboot is necessary, sorry Monta.

Bogut? I'm down for that at all costs as well.

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Bogut plays 60 games in a season when he's "healthy."

One rumor I've read is the Bulls trade Boozer, Asik, and Deng (two all-stars) to Boston for Pierce and Garnett, and then Boston deals Deng for Monta.

3. philsmith75

Here's from ESPN.com:

3. Fact or Fiction: Monta Ellis should be a major trade target.

Mason: Fiction. Just guessing but there seem to be indications that the Warriors value Curry and Ellis almost equally. If you are going to pony up for a small guard who has some defensive struggles, go for the younger, more efficient one … with the terrifying injury history.

Nowell: Fiction. I know that Ellis has shown flashes of defensive intensity and offensive restraint, but I just don't see him being a major help to any of the teams said to be looking at acquiring him (read: Orlando). Could just be Otis Smith has a soft spot for Golden State gunners -- it worked out so well last time.

Rivera: Fiction. If you're a team that's interested in a high-volume, low-efficiency player that plays little to no defense and has had inflated numbers in previous seasons due to playing in a fast-paced environment, then Ellis is your man. The problem is that Ellis doesn't do much to help teams win games. There's more to the game than just scoring.

Schmidt: Fiction. He's kind of like an inverse Bogut. If a team is solid defensively but needs a little more punch offensively, he could help out. But his pay is crazy for a guy who should be a sixth man and we're seeing really good teams shift away from guys who dominate the ball and can't shoot 3s.

Strauss: Fiction. Unless your roster includes a massive point guard who can check 2s, stay away. Ellis is talented, but his talent requires a roster specificity that most teams cannot provide. Off the ball, he's hyper-efficient lightning. On the ball, he selfishly hoards the rock like the greediest dragon, cupping a diamond.

Jeez, not even one fact. Does Lacob just ignore what everyone else seems to take as fact? Monta is not a franchise player. He's a novelty.

4. i hate the warriors

i hate the warriors Slingboxing from LONDON

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_monta_ellis_andrew_bogut_trade_031312

I know half of you despise Monta, but I do NOT like this. Getting rid of Monta and Udoh, to get an injury prone center and Stephen fucking Jackson? No thanks.

Plus, by including Kwame, isn't that surrendering $7m of cap space at the end of the season!?

5. philsmith75

I'm down with this deal because you get bigger. Bogut is not that old, only 28. You give up $7M in cap coming up but who was coming here anyways?

Next year, SJax will be an expiring $10M contract which will be attractive unless Rowell gives him another stupid extension.

I hate to give up Udoh because he's played well but face it, he'd reached his ceiling. Bogut would dominate Udoh.

Bucks took Maggette, now they take Monta and give us one of the few quality Cs in the league. THANK YOU MILWAUKEE!!

6. i hate the warriors

i hate the warriors Slingboxing from LONDON

Damn, you really hate Monta so much that you're willing to take back Jackson for him?? And take on a guy that plays 60 games a season??

Yeah, we'll have Jackson's expiring $10m next year, but we could have had $7m this year, AND we gave up one of our best prospects, our BEST low post defender.

From the start, I've said I was down to trade Monta for the right deal...but this wasn't it. I truly think we could have done better.

7. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

FWIW we would have spent that money trying to either sign Kaman or giving McGee an offer sheet that wouldn't have gone through. I'll take my chances with Bogut despite his injury history. When healthy hes a top 5 C. You're talking about a 7'0 260 lb.+ C who plays defense, scores around the rim, rebounds, and passes well. 100% the type of player we need. Injuries are a risk but damnit you've got to take risks to get any results.

Got any ideas as to what better player we could have gotten back?

Some key points to this trade IMO:
    - Klay Thompson is ready to step in and start at the 2. Hes the SG of the future, he'll play better defense than Monta and probably be more efficient all around. Hes a guy who can step in immediately and produce adequate starting level production.
    - Bogut is injured and I'm pretty sure hes done for almost the whole year... and I'm not upset about this at all. Steph is still battling ankle injuries; shut him down soon. Start Klay and give Jenkins, Jeremy Tyler, Chris Wright plenty of burn. See what you've got, develop these guys, lose games, get that MFing first round pick back. Probably you shut down Lee in the last couple of weeks as well. Again, maybe its risky going all in to get the pick back...but there's only one way to get the pick back. You could add a really solid prospect with a top 7 pick in this draft, plus you could get lucky and really inflate the value of guys like Jenkins, Wright, and Tyler if they produce down the stretch.
    - This sets us up for a core of Steph, Klay, Lee, Bogut. That's a group that plays good, efficient basketball and even though Bogut and Klay aren't great athletes for their position they're sound on defense. To compliment this core you've got DW(?), Rush (I assume they'll get an extension done now that they're not saving cap), S-Jax, draft pick (?), possible MLE signing?, Biedrins (he could be a decent backup....right?), we also have NJ's second round pick which will be very high in the 2nd round.
    - Stephen Jackson. This guy is a real wild card at this point. He wants to get paid and he was having issues with Skiles, which is unsurprising. Really have no idea what to expect at this point. Marc Jackson seems like the kind of guy who will try to assuage a veteran's ego and perhaps he could get through to Jack. I think he'll start him. No way in hell we give him an extension; his expiring will be valuable next year or we can just let him walk. Hes having an awful year, but just last season he averaged 19 ppg on his usual 41% shooting. I wonder if he can still play defense. I'm sure he can still knock down open jumpers.
    - I would imagine they're still trying to move Dorell Wright and Biedrins before the deadline. Wright could warrant a marginal prospect, low 1st/2nd round pick, etc. but he could just get dumped too. Only way I see Beans getting moved is for an equally crappy contract, maybe for a player with a longer deal.
    - Hate losing Udoh but landing a sexy top 7 prospect would really help me get over that.
    - What do you guys think of a Bogut/Lee front court? Both great passers, some skill with the ball, good rebounders. Should be interesting to see how they stack up against playoff front courts. We've got the shooters on the perimeter to keep the heat off them.
    - Most of all I'm happy they picked a direction. We were stuck in a hellish purgatory. We traded an undersized, no defense, flawed player for a risky C but hes a guy who can finally give us an adequate starting front court and allow Marc Jackson to do what he wants to do. And I can only imagine that they're making an aggressive play to get their pick back. Seems odd after ownership was so content to make a run to sneak into the 8th spot that they may be going into tank mode after winning a solid back-to-back but I'm for it.

8. Run BJM

Per Marc Spears

Per Marcus Thompson

Per Marcus Thompson

Per Matt Steinmentz

Per Tim Kawakami

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  9. philsmith75

Bogut was 3rd Team All-NBA less than 2 years ago. Warriors haven't had an All-Star since 1998(?). Think about that.

You have to take a risk to get bigger.

Udoh was max'd out already.

As Tolbert said tonight, "Monta was never going to be the best player on a good team."

10. Run BJM

Second time we've made a near trade deadline trade. Last time we shipped him because he and Monta wanted Curry to be moved for Amare. Now we trade Monta for him.

11. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    SJax would be good for a contender as a key reserve. For the Ws, he's a big contract and not a difference maker. He wasn't for the Bucks, ya know?

I hope Bogut pans out, but my expectation would be for him to miss a lot of games. Injury after injury, year after year, has got to take its toll on his game, too. Or he could come back and be a solid player like Camby did.

12. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    I gotta say, I'm happy with the move. Bogut is a good fit next to Lee, and to be honest, at the very least, if he stays healthy for half of a season, he'll have more trade value than Monta would at the trade deadline next year. I love that we'll have Defense at the 5.

Let's not forget that Monta was going to opt out. Now we have 2 low post players that can both pass the ball and there are a slew of shooters on this roster. This is a decent team now.

What better year to have a down year than a shortened season before a deep draft that you need to have a top 7 pick in?

Essentially you can include that 7 pick in this trade. Next year, you'll add Bogut, a rested Curry, and the pick to the team. 1st good move the front office has made to date.

13. Run BJM

Hope he can find room for a Bucks logo lol.

[​IMG]

BTW Scott Skiles is going to love a Jennings-Monta back court. Wouldn't surprise me if they try to move Jennings for Pau or something like that.

14. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Hey all,

I wanted to start off by saying that I'm surprised the warriors made a move like this. I really thought they were going to stand pat and try to make the playoffs. They were almost at .500 ball. 3 games out.

My opinion is that this trade will be a great move if Bogut can play in almost all the 82 games in a full season for the next two seasons and we have an option to retain him later on. The guy couldn't even last the abbreviated season which makes me worried if we just traded for a guy who will get paid guaranteed money to look great in a suit like Grant Hill did for a lot of years.

It was indeed a risky move, but who else were we going to get for what we were offering. The biggest need is the center spot: the coveted, 2nd/3rd most crucial position behind point guard and possibly shooting guard. We need a big strong, anchor in the paint on both ends of the floor and this guy is it. He's one of the top of the food chain in terms of true big men. All nba 2nd defensive team, 3rd all-nba team. 7 feet tall and 260 lbs. He's got 30 lbs on Biedrins and our closest center.

He is a good shot blocker, pretty good low-post player who doesn't drop many passes, ambidextrous, can shoot a bit from mid-range, great rebounder, good basketball iq and very good passer. It's like having another David Lee only stronger defense. We finally have a true center with skill and size in the same package with this trade. If he's healthy and under the right coach, I truly believe this guy could very well be putting up Andrew Bynum numbers.

I think some of the editorial was harsh on Monta. They're not wrong, but it's a bit harsh. He's not a bad distributor, but his type of game doesn't seem to equate to making others around him that much better. He looks to score first and foremost even when he has the capability to make plays for others. That really messes with the chemistry a lot when you have a guy who is so ball dominant.

Ellis is one of the best and creative finishers in the league, but some nights we need more from him and he can freeze guys out of the team game. Guys like Steve Nash or Jason Kidd in their mid 30's do more of the little things necessary to make offenses more fluid without having to look for their own shot.

I've got to praise Monta for his improved attitude about everything in this craphole of an organization. I'll actually miss watching his highlights in a warriors uniform, but the ultimate goal for the fans is to watch a competitive team, not 1 flashy guy who plays one half of the court and dominates the ball as much as he does. That is not winning basketball. Good luck, Monta, but the draft of Curry made the warriors have to choose and Curry IMO had more potential to give the warriors what they need from the point guard spot (for now). Curry also needs to get healthy or else this team is screwed without a starting point guard and center.

As for Udoh? Guy was one of the older players in that draft class and he was still raw. He had defensive role player/occasional scorer written on him after seeing him for the last two years. He could turn out better than he is right now, but that's no guarantee based on what he's shown. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't get that starting center that detroit has, Greg Monroe. WTF, warriors? Missed opportunity on a "Brad Miller-like" center.

Sjax? I dislike that guy's attitude. He's a good expiring contract and maybe something good might come off the money that comes off the books. If we use him in the meantime, he might develop some chemistry with big players. Biedrins pick and roll might return and involve Lee or Bogut as well. Sjax can be good in the pick and roll game as long as he's not always trying to finish the plays himself. The guy is such a low % player, but he is probably the most clutch, multi-dimensional swingman we have had in recent years. He won't disappear as much as DWright and Dunleavy have.

Kwame was a stop gap and was unlikely to stay after 1 year. I liked him in a warriors uniform. He was quite a presence in the paint compared to Biedrins. Hopefully, seeing Bogut play will channel that presence and more. It could also light a fire under Biedrins knowing that he's now the #2 center if Bogut is healthy.

15. Run BJM

Stephen Jackson has been traded for Richard Jefferson and a first round pick. Haven't heard specifics on what year the pick is for. If the draft was now the Spurs would be picking 27th.

The Warriors have also bought a second round pick from Atlanta. It will be the lesser of the Hawks' two second round picks. They have their own and the Suns, so most likely we end up with their pick. They're currently in a three-way tie for the 10th best record in the league so that puts their pick at 47-50.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  16. philsmith75

The W's flip Jackson for Jefferson (added $10M for an extra year) and Spurs' 1st Rd. pick. Pretty good deal.

17. Run BJM

Its a lot to pay for what I can only assume is a late first round pick this year. An extra year of Jefferson at 11 mil a year. You wonder if they could have just bought a late first from someone on draft day.

Jefferson seems to have really fallen off, though his 3 pt % is has been sky high the last two seasons.

If we tank and get that top 7 pick, we'll have that pick, the project 27 pick, the projected 35 pick, and a pick projected between 47-50. I'm still assuming we got the Spurs' 2012 first but no word on that yet.

TK:
    That's pretty much what I was thinking.

18. Run BJM

This trade deadline really exploded the last 4 hours or so. I'll try to compile a list of all the trades that went down around the league. Lots of activity.

19. philsmith75

Warriors paid over $2M for that 2nd rounder that became Tyler. So $10M for a 1st rounder is about right. Plus you get an expiring $10M contract as a chip next year.

20. Run BJM

He expires the year after next, same offseason Beans expires and Steph is due an extension.

Per Steinmentz

This isn't a bad point. We're still not a FA destination, and really all the cap money they had was directed at getting a C. Still a lot to pay IMO but I am all about adding assets, and we did pretty well picking up a 1st for Stephen Jackson and buying a 2nd from Atlanta.