Thread: CBO: ObamaCare Price Tag Shifts from $940 Billion to $1.76 Trillion

+ Reply to Thread
  1. TOP #1
    PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends Banned User

Default CBO: ObamaCare Price Tag Shifts from $940 Billion to $1.76 Trillion

Gee, who didn't see this one coming a few years ago?

Surprised this one isn't leading the liberal news cycle.

http://news.yahoo.com/cbo-obamacare-...163500655.html

President Obama's landmark healthcare overhaul is projected to cost $1.76 trillion over a decade, reports the Congressional Budget Office, a hefty sum more than the $940 billion estimated when the healthcare legislation was signed into law. To put it mildly, ObamaCare's projected net worth is far off from its original estimate -- in fact, about $820 billion off.

Backtracking to his September 2009 remarks to a joint session of Congress on healthcare, Obama asserted the following: "Now, add it all up, and the plan I'm proposing will cost around $900 billion over 10 years -- less than we have spent on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and less than the tax cuts for the wealthiest few Americans that Congress passed at the beginning of the previous administration."

When the final CBO report was released before the law's passage, critics surmised that the actual 10-year cost would far exceed the advertised projections. In other words, the numbers were seemingly obscured through a political ploy devised to jam the legislation through Congress.

"Democrats employed many accounting tricks when they were pushing through the national health care legislation," asserted Philip Klein of the Washington Examiner, "the most egregious of which was to delay full implementation of the law until 2014." This accounting maneuver allowed analysts to cloak the true cost of ObamaCare, Klein alleged, making the law appear less expensive under the CBO's budget window.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, maybe this will: "President Obama's healthcare reform law coverage provisions will cost less but cover fewer people than first thought," the Hill reported, considering data from the CBO's Tuesday report. Revised estimates of ObamaCare's coverage provisions indicate that 2 million fewer people will acquire coverage by 2016.

Moreover, the CBO estimates that 4 million Americans will lose their employer-sponsored health plans by 2016, a far cry from the 1-million-person figure forecasted last year. Further yet, 1 million to 2 million fewer people will be granted access to the federally-subsidized healthcare exchanges, while an additional 1 million are estimated to qualify for Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Provision.

In a second blog post published on Tuesday, Mr. Klein summed up the debacle: "It's also worth noting that we were told time and again during the health care debate that the law didn't represent a government takeover of health care. But by 2022, according to the CBO, 3 million fewer people will have health insurance through their employer, while 17 million Americans will be added to Medicaid and 22 million will be getting coverage through government-run exchanges."
    Fucking sheeple. At least this came out before the election. Now, if the GOP can just nominate anybody but Santorum...

2. TOP #2
    PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends PapaG has several friends Banned User

Default Re: CBO: ObamaCare Price Tag Shifts from $940 Billion to $1.76 Trillion

Hey, no biggie. It's only another trillion dollars of money we don't have, give or take $100 billion here or there.

Anybody want to take a stab at this one?

3. TOP #3
    Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane's Avatar It's not even loaded!

We were lied into ObamaCare.
    You hear the one about the fella who died, went to the pearly gates? St. Peter lets him in. Sees a guy in a suit making a closing argument. Says 'Who's that?' St. Peter says, 'Oh, that's God. Thinks he's Denny Crane.

When you say my name, say it like you really mean it!
    Check out my blog here
    R.I.P. MGB - you will be missed

4. TOP #4
    BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET's Avatar Some Call me the Best in the Game

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
    We were lied into ObamaCare.
    This is a true statement.

We can only hope it will be torn down.

5. TOP #5
    maxiep is influencing people maxiep is influencing people maxiep is influencing people maxiep is influencing people maxiep is influencing people maxiep is influencing people maxiep is influencing people maxiep is influencing people maxiep is influencing people maxiep is influencing people maxiep is influencing people maxiep's Avatar RIP Dr. Jack

I posted the link to this article in the "Fuck this healthcare..." thread.

Many of us have been saying what a sham it was. Richard Nixon can rest in peace knowing he's no longer the biggest liar ever to occupy the White House.

6. TOP #6

BUMP

7. TOP #7
    MickZagger has statements worth reading MickZagger has statements worth reading MickZagger has statements worth reading MickZagger has statements worth reading MickZagger has statements worth reading MickZagger has statements worth reading MickZagger has statements worth reading MickZagger's Avatar Some Call me the Best in the Game

The Blazers suck and Obama's going to be in office another 4 years. Some of you have it rough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze01 View Post
    Lillard is fools gold....and some of you guys are buying right into it...

8. TOP #8
    BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET's Avatar Some Call me the Best in the Game

Quote Originally Posted by MickZagger View Post
    The Blazers suck and Obama's going to be in office another 4 years. Some of you have it rough.
    Yeah, the worst of both worlds. One breaks our hearts and the other our lives.

9. TOP #9
    jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk's Avatar The ESPN mod is insane.

Why is the CBO changing its own estimate from a year ago, the one Obama used? Did the Republicans in Congress put one of their own in charge?
    This week's favorites:
    Okay, sweet pea, but your a full.

He's doin' the doin' as my grandma would say.

Blake Griffin can't handle Freeland's ass.

I just want Kaman to fall on Jack Nicholson going for a loose ball and cover him in caveman sweat

You answered? Holy fuck, I feel like I would if I was talking to my dog and he said something back to me.

10. TOP #10
    Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane is influencing people Denny Crane's Avatar It's not even loaded!

Instead of years 1-10, it's now years 2-11.

Hocus Pocus Bogus Accounting Tricks.
    You hear the one about the fella who died, went to the pearly gates? St. Peter lets him in. Sees a guy in a suit making a closing argument. Says 'Who's that?' St. Peter says, 'Oh, that's God. Thinks he's Denny Crane.

Check out my blog here

11. TOP #11
    Eastoff has statements worth reading Eastoff has statements worth reading Eastoff has statements worth reading Eastoff has statements worth reading Eastoff has statements worth reading Eastoff has statements worth reading Eastoff has statements worth reading Eastoff has statements worth reading Eastoff's Avatar habiller pour la victoire

12. TOP #12

Read the article. That spin is lame.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/news_america/cb...us&.lang=en-us

Your guy claims the cost was $1.5T, it was < $1T. See the link to Obama's own speech in the article above.

And duh, you can cut the deficit to zero if you raise taxes enough.

Check out my blog here

13. TOP #13

And duh, you can cut the deficit to zero if you raise taxes enough.
    That's what Clinton did.

14. TOP #14
    jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk's Avatar The ESPN mod is insane.

Instead of years 1-10, it's now years 2-11.
    I had suspected that. A simple timing difference.

Excellent article.
    This week's favorites:
    Okay, sweet pea, but your a full.

He's doin' the doin' as my grandma would say.

Blake Griffin can't handle Freeland's ass.

I just want Kaman to fall on Jack Nicholson going for a loose ball and cover him in caveman sweat

You answered? Holy fuck, I feel like I would if I was talking to my dog and he said something back to me.

15. TOP #15
    huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller's Avatar Change (Deftones)

Quote Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
    That's what Clinton did.
    Not exactly, the size of government was around 18% of GDP, which is a lot smaller than Obama's government.

<center></center>

"Not 1. Not 2. Not 3. Not 4. Not 5. Not 6. Not 7.... And when I say that I really mean it, I'm not just blowing smoke........."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information