The Tank Thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I figure since there's no use in game threads for every game I might as well make a single thread for discussing individual games, the tank standings, and discussion of the players as we head toward the end of the season.

Last night's win over the Hornets featured Klay going off and looking really good as well as Jeremy Tyler's first start and he showed some skills. Here is a nice highlight vid:

[video=youtube;tW6GO0eiHrE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW6GO0eiHrE[/video]

We won, and somehow Cleveland and Detroit blew victories in the final possession or two of their games. Still, Cleveland was right there with the Hawks and they're playing well. The Kings have also been on a bit of a streak lately. Warriors won but losing to the Hornets is tough LOL.

2. Run BJM

Nice blurb from yahoosports on Klay replacing Monta:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-11141772

3. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

I worship the memory of the Spurs' run to Tim Duncan.

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

It's pretty pathetic when the warriors are in a race to finish in the bottom 7 just so they can keep their stupid lottery pick they pissed away on the Marcus Williams trade. Can we please fire Larry Riley? He's a horrible, no-good, very bad manager.

5. i hate the warriors

i hate the warriors Slingboxing from LONDON

It's a complete mystery to me why we haven't fired him yet.

Every year, I hear a lot of people say we should start tanking as soon as we're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs...this is the first year I have ever truly hoped that we lose games, and it's really all for nothing (aka Marcus Williams). I want to see good play from the young guys, and then lose every game by a point. It's a shortened season anyway, let's just call it a wash and start again in November. Depressing perhaps, but lets just hope that next year is a new chapter for the franchise.

Tank City!

6. Run BJM

FWIW Chris Mullin was the one who traded the pick for Marcus Williams. Riley did some dumb ass finagling with the protections in hopes of trading the pick, which he never did. But none the less, I'd put more blame on Mully for getting literally nothing (Marcus Williams) for this pick.

And I still don't have issue with Riley as the "GM". It seems clear that hes just one of several voices in the FO, but reading into it more it appears Jerry West and Bob Myers are being impactful decision makers. West seemed to be the catalyst in drafting Klay. Riley himself said Myers was keyed in on acquiring Bogut since last offseason. West is too old to be doing the BS legwork and media stuff, no reason to rush Myers into it. Its hard to say who is responsible for things like trading Amundson for Rush, signing McGuire, drafting Charles Jenkins, etc. but I don't think its a detriment to have Riley among the braintrust of Lacob, West, Myers, Schlenk, etc.

And I am usually not pro-tanking, though I'm usually apathetic toward what they do by this point in the season anyway, since they're pretty much always out of the race. This season I'm very pro-tanking though. The team could be pretty solid for the next couple of years and this could be our last top 10 pick for the forseeable future. I think adding a top 7 talent would really solidify the talent level on the roster. A core of Steph, Klay, Lee, and Bogut with RJ/DW/Rush/McGuire at the 3 and some decent bench players seems like a low seed playoff team to me. If you add another valuable prospect with that top 7 pick you really up the talent level in acquiring a potential solid starter. Perhaps more importantly, a deal centered around Klay or Curry plus whoever we draft could potentially be enough to land the legitimate star that this team still lacks. Adding that prospect makes a big difference for the future of this franchise IMO, more so than usual.

7. Run BJM

BTW here's a fantastic image from Golden State of Mind visualizing the tank battle down the stretch:

[​IMG]

The Warriors are 2-8 in their last 10, Cavs are 1-9, but the rest of these teams are all 4-6 in their last 10. NJ is on a 3 game win streak.

8. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Warriors will tank to #4 then us it on the next Darko, history folks.

9. Run BJM

Good day for the tank. We're now .5 games behind Detroit (8), 1.5 behind Sac (7), and 2 back of Toronto and NJ (6 and 5 respectively).

[​IMG]

10. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Consider this thread officially dead

11. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Man, this is the worst of both worlds. We lose our pick in a deep draft and we don't make the playoffs.

Dammit, this is why Riley ought to be fired this summer. He is no good

12. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    And with Lee sidelined, consider it revived?