Thread: This is the dumbest shit I have ever heard...

+ Reply to Thread
  1. TOP #1
    Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3's Avatar Don't tread on me!

Default This is the dumbest shit I have ever heard...

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...itch-the-draft

The league could institute their own "National Match," where teams and players were wed based on mutual interest. The NBA could have teams bid on draft slots. Some have proposed an auction system used by many fantasy sports leagues, in which a prospect is assigned to the highest bidder.

Novelty has its appeal, but addressing the inherent inequities of the draft might be best addressed by Occam's Razor -- simply declare all eligible incoming rookies free agents.
    And

We have no idea where Davis would like to work if given a voice in the matter. Is the Chicago kid someone who wants to stay close to family, even if it means taking less money or playing in a small market like Milwaukee? Would he and his representatives approach the Heat, the big dogs in the East who could use a center, even though Miami couldn't offer the money or touches Houston could? Maybe there's an NBA coach who dazzles him with the power of persuasion, or a team that could pair him with a dynamic point guard, like Cleveland. Then again, maybe Davis just wants to go where he can make the most money -- playing time, viability, co-workers and geography be damned.
    RipCityTwo Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/ripcitytwo

RipCityTwo Twitter Page
    https://twitter.com/RipCityTwo

2. TOP #2
    barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo's Avatar commie pinko

Default Re: This is the dumbest shit I have ever heard...

The NBA could have teams bid on draft slots. Some have proposed an auction system used by many fantasy sports leagues, in which a prospect is assigned to the highest bidder.
    That works great if every team has the same amount of money.

Not so great in the real world.

barfo

3. TOP #3
    Rhal is becoming well known Rhal is becoming well known Rhal is becoming well known Rhal is becoming well known Rhal is becoming well known Rhal's Avatar MVP Winner

Quote Originally Posted by barfo View Post

barfo
    Would be cool in a pick type of bidding. Say first round picks are worth 3 points, lottery picks are worth 5 and second rounders 1. Can only bid picks you have acquired and can't use picks farther then 3 years out.
    Something like that for the top 3 spots would be cool.

4. TOP #4
    3RA1N1AC is influencing people 3RA1N1AC is influencing people 3RA1N1AC is influencing people 3RA1N1AC is influencing people 3RA1N1AC is influencing people 3RA1N1AC is influencing people 3RA1N1AC is influencing people 3RA1N1AC is influencing people 3RA1N1AC is influencing people 3RA1N1AC is influencing people 3RA1N1AC is influencing people 3RA1N1AC's Avatar YEAH, WHATEVER

they should just battle everything out with owner yacht racing
    it certainly is an odd year when the Giants do not win the world series

5. TOP #5
    Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3 is influencing people Natebishop3's Avatar Don't tread on me!

Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC View Post
    they should just battle everything out with owner yacht racing
    I say they Rochambeau for it.

RipCityTwo Facebook Page

RipCityTwo Twitter Page

6. TOP #6
    crandc has statements worth reading crandc has statements worth reading crandc has statements worth reading crandc has statements worth reading crandc has statements worth reading crandc has statements worth reading crandc has statements worth reading crandc's Avatar Good Enough for my Own Shoe

Why not make the players prizes in a poker game?

7. TOP #7
    Sinobas is becoming well known Sinobas is becoming well known Sinobas is becoming well known Sinobas's Avatar Good Enough for my Own Shoe

The NBA owners would never want to get into annual bidding wars for picks. Even though that would favor teams like Portland, Dallas, LA and NY.

But I agree, those are terrible ideas. Fans of crappy teams need something to look forward to.

8. TOP #8
    B-Roy is becoming well known B-Roy is becoming well known B-Roy is becoming well known B-Roy is becoming well known B-Roy's Avatar Whaa...?

Quote Originally Posted by barfo View Post

barfo
    Shouldn't we love this? We'd have the #1 pick every year.

9. TOP #9
    Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos's Avatar field linguist

Obviously any idea that gets rid of the draft is a nonstarter, because everybody loves the draft. But a somewhat sensible idea was to make it a five-year draft. That is, your position in the draft would be based on your record over the past five years rather than the past season, just as an attempt to end tanking (or as an incentive to tank ALL THE TIME).

But that idea has obvious flaws: a team gets #1 after sucking mightily for five years. Gets a #1 pick and trades for Chris Paul. Makes the playoffs and even wins a round. But then, because it sucked so mightily in the preceding 5 years, still gets a top 3 pick.

If they really want to end tanking, I've always said they should have a relegation/promotion system like in European Sports leagues. Of course, no NBA team would vote for that. But it would be AWESOME. You could start it by reducing the number of NBA teams by about 6, and getting the best-run D-League teams and combining them together to make Division 2.

But then, how do the Division 2 teams factor into the draft? Ooh, I've got it: (like they already have, sort of) have an age restriction for the NBA draft but not for the League 2 draft, so the League 2 could be a genuine minor-league system. No NBA team can draft a player younger than, say, a college junior (or equivalent), but League 2 can draft even highschoolers. That way the NBA wouldn't have highschoolers sitting on their benches, but the highschoolers could earn a professional wage.
    Too many Florence Nightingales
    Not enough Robin Hoods

10. TOP #10
    Ed O is becoming well known Ed O is becoming well known Ed O is becoming well known Ed O is becoming well known Ed O's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
    If they really want to end tanking, I've always said they should have a relegation/promotion system like in European Sports leagues. Of course, no NBA team would vote for that. But it would be AWESOME. You could start it by reducing the number of NBA teams by about 6, and getting the best-run D-League teams and combining them together to make Division 2.

But then, how do the Division 2 teams factor into the draft? Ooh, I've got it: (like they already have, sort of) have an age restriction for the NBA draft but not for the League 2 draft, so the League 2 could be a genuine minor-league system. No NBA team can draft a player younger than, say, a college junior (or equivalent), but League 2 can draft even highschoolers. That way the NBA wouldn't have highschoolers sitting on their benches, but the highschoolers could earn a professional wage.
    I am surprised that MLS hasn't tried something like this. Given its penchant for copying international conventions, it seems like it might be a cool differentiator.

Ed O.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." -- Sandy Koufax

##

Stalk me on my blog.

11. TOP #11
    crandc has statements worth reading crandc has statements worth reading crandc has statements worth reading crandc has statements worth reading crandc has statements worth reading crandc has statements worth reading crandc has statements worth reading crandc's Avatar Good Enough for my Own Shoe

Or another option, won't happen but eliminates tanking, is make the entire draft a lottery with each team having 1 pingpong ball. Pure luck of the draw. Would make the annual lottery much more watched - I never cared when the Blazers were in the playoffs for 22 consecutive years.

12. TOP #12
    BoomChakaLaka is developing a reputation BoomChakaLaka's Avatar Part of the Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by crandc View Post
    Or another option, won't happen but eliminates tanking, is make the entire draft a lottery with each team having 1 pingpong ball. Pure luck of the draw. Would make the annual lottery much more watched - I never cared when the Blazers were in the playoffs for 22 consecutive years.
    Thunderdome!

guess that might give OKC the edge?
    G O - B L A Z E R S !

13. TOP #13
    Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos has statements worth reading Rastapopoulos's Avatar field linguist

Hunger Games: each team picks a lowly member of the organization (perhaps a video guy) to an arena where they battle to the death. Your pick is in reverse order according to at what point your guy died. Ideally you want players with some stored energy in the form of chubbiness.
    Too many Florence Nightingales
    Not enough Robin Hoods

14. TOP #14

I think they should have a FFA larp event where the GMs have to fight to the last man to determine who gets the #1 pick.

RipCityTwo Facebook Page

RipCityTwo Twitter Page

15. TOP #15
    Nikolokolus has disabled reputation Nikolokolus's Avatar No worries, Bert has this

Raise the stakes and give them real swords.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "90% of everything is crap" -- Theodore Sturgeon

16. TOP #16
    jaspitzer is developing a reputation jaspitzer's Avatar Minor League Stand Out

It's not dumber than Kingspeed and others that would like us to make the playoffs this year

17. TOP #17
    LameR is developing a reputation LameR's Avatar Ha Seung-Jin Approved!

Quote Originally Posted by crandc View Post
    What if you have a team that genuinely sucks and can only win 25 games, even playing hard? Then they're on average going to end up picking at 7 or 8 (the average spot, right in the middle, it's just an average, dont freak out), and if the draft is weak, they have to go through the same process for who knows how long? Makes free agents even less likely to try to join them.
    C^2

18. TOP #18
    barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo has statements worth reading barfo's Avatar commie pinko

Quote Originally Posted by LameR View Post
    What if you have a team that genuinely sucks and can only win 25 games, even playing hard? Then they're on average going to end up picking at 7 or 8 (the average spot, right in the middle, it's just an average, dont freak out),
    I think under her proposal, the average spot is 15 or 16. All 30 teams would participate in the lottery.

Trying not to freak out,
    barfo

19. TOP #19
    noknobs is becoming well known noknobs is becoming well known noknobs is becoming well known noknobs is becoming well known noknobs's Avatar Part of the Rotation

What if there were a draft lottery for all non-playoff teams, so teams won't necessarily draft in the order that they suck?

Oh wait...

This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by jaspitzer View Post
    It's not dumber than Kingspeed and others that would like us to make the playoffs this year
    I stand corrected. This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

20. TOP #20

Quote Originally Posted by noknobs View Post
    What if there were a draft lottery for all non-playoff teams, so teams won't necessarily draft in the order that they suck?

Oh wait...

This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

I stand corrected. This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.
    So not tanking and getting the 8th seed is better than tanking how?

21. TOP #21
    jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk's Avatar The ESPN mod is insane.

This is the dumbest sports article I've ever read.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...53.html?via=mr
    This week's favorites:
    Okay, sweet pea, but your a full.

He's doin' the doin' as my grandma would say.

Blake Griffin can't handle Freeland's ass.

I just want Kaman to fall on Jack Nicholson going for a loose ball and cover him in caveman sweat

You answered? Holy fuck, I feel like I would if I was talking to my dog and he said something back to me.

22. TOP #22
    noknobs is becoming well known noknobs is becoming well known noknobs is becoming well known noknobs is becoming well known noknobs's Avatar Part of the Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by jaspitzer View Post
    So not tanking and getting the 8th seed is better than tanking how?
    I fail to see how this has anything to do with what I wrote...

You equated the article, which I thought was some incredibly stupid shit, to a Blazer fan wanting his team to make the playoffs... So I thought that was some pretty stupid shit too. Hope this helps clear up any confusion on your part.

23. TOP #23

Quote Originally Posted by noknobs View Post
    I fail to see how this has anything to do with what I wrote...

You equated the article, which I thought was some incredibly stupid shit, to a Blazer fan wanting his team to make the playoffs... So I thought that was some pretty stupid shit too. Hope this helps clear up any confusion on your part.
    Thanks! It really does

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information