WOW who's the villian?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by magnifier661, Apr 4, 2012.

1. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    [​IMG]

It looks like our government is taking a big chunk of the gasoline profits. I do know that supposedly the tax is to help build and maintain the roads; but I also remember the lottery was to go towards schools (only 10% actually makes it there). Or how Social Security is supposed to go towards the retired 60+ tax payers. They've tapped into that budget as well.

I wonder just how much of this tax goes to the transit, maintenance and construction of the roads?

2. Blaze01

Blaze01 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah and state and county taxes on that as well.....The whole thing is a fucking farce. I have no particular love for the oil companies, but all the "added" taxes by Federal\Stae\County governments adds up to a MUCH larger portion of gas prices.....

But, sure it is ALL the greedy oil companies' fault....

3. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ForAmerica#ForAmerica

4. magnifier661

I know the banner was regarding "ForAmerica", but the reality is still there. I could use a non-partisan statistic, just thought that graphic pretty much sums it up. The fact is taxes on cigarettes and gas are seriously crazy. For cigarettes; they are actually making around $3 per pack. The actual tobacco companies are making 30¢ per pack. Yes cigs are bad for you and gas is bad for the environment, but HOLY SHIT MAN!

5. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Is Westnob going to refute the supposed facts, or just give an ad hominen shot at the group who purports it to be fact?

Are you saying that a significant chunk of each gallon of gas doesn't go to the government? That's how adults debate things; they bring other facts to contradict what they believe to be a false or misleading claim.

6. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

whatever you think of the taxes the 7 cents profit for oil companies is a bogus number. obviously it's WAY more than that when prices spike. $10 billion/profit a quarter for Exxon doesn't come from 7 cents/gallon. give me a break.

7. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Gas is $5.30/US gallon here right now, this shit is getting out of hand.

That statistic sounds bogus, though. I think the oil companies make considerably less.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  8. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

9. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

whos the villain? obama is, duh :MARIS61:

10. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

+1.

11. Eastoff

That's rather presumptious. I was just sharing some information about the source. I didn't realize it was an attack, are you implying there is something wrong with conservatives?

12. Eastoff

The price of cigarettes and the restrictions on where one can smoke, clearly influence how much people smoke. That is the intention of those regulations, and it works.

13. Eastoff

4*.08 = .32 !=.07 Good post PapaG for proving the source to be inaccurate.

14. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

The US Government's number is the taxation. The Oil Companies' number is "profit". There is gross profit, net profit, net profit after taxes (and anything that may be unusual) ...... I'd be curious to know what what "profit" they're talking about. Profit after lining the pockets of their big execs?

Stats don't lie.... they're just easy to manipulate to paint whatever picture you want to paint.

15. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2010/tables/10s1066.pdf

Well, let's see. In 2007 we consumed in this country alone 176 billion gallons of fuel (excluding airplanes). If an oil company makes $.07 per gallon, that comes to $12,320,000,000.00 ($12.3 billion). Then if airplanes are added...

16. bluefrog

bluefrog Go Blazers, GO!

Programmer
    I'd also like to know if that 46¢ a gallon is before or after the $40 billion subsidies the oil industry receives

17. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    If you sell 100 things at $.01 profit, you make $1 in profit. If next year, you sell 200 things at $.01 profit, your profit goes up to $2. And yeah, the demand for oil is going way up due to countries like India and China with billions of population and Japan burning oil because their nuclear reactors are shut down.

18. magnifier661

Well how about we not worry about what the exxons of the world make and just break down the simple tax. And also keep in mind that the price you pay at the pump isn't the price that the fuel companies actually make. Each station is independently owned. They would need significant "mark-up" to keep the doors open; so I would say the "lion's share" of the profits will go to the retail outlet.

http://www.api.org/Oil-and-Natural-Gas-Overview/Industry-Economics/Fuel-Taxes.aspx

This is another link that explains the actual cost of gasoline.

This link has a nice break down per state in terms of taxes, so review freely.

This PDF file says the average U.S. State and Government tax is roughly 48.8 cents per gallon.

Price of crude is 74% of the total price. Taxes are 11%. Refining is 10% and distribution and marketing is 5%.

In the link, it has a simple description of the actual "profit"

So in other words, the government (Average tax $0.48 per gallon) is making more per gallon than the big companies (Average $0.30 - $0.60) selling it.

And keep in mind that this simple illustration doesn't include marketing and profit sharing to the local business owners.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  19. magnifier661

and another quote on that same link:

Currently, crude oil is @ $102 - 122.62 per barrel (Since the $0.30 - $0.60 per gallon is based on $100 barrels). That is dipping into the big oil company's profits.

20. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Don't forget that the oil and gas companies have to put money back into their business. Exploration, maintenance, new permits, distribution, R &D, etc. etc. On the other hand, for the government, the only cost is to pay the people who collect the taxes from the oil and gas companies.

Blaming "Big Oil" makes for great campaign slogans and appeals to the lowest common denominator, but even a bit of research shows that the 'billions' in profits by oil and gas are based primarily on volume, and not some favorably skewed profit structure and the paying of "big execs".