Crawful whines about his time in Portland

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Apr 11, 2012.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

When Jamal Crawford signed with the Portland Trail Blazers last offseason, he was expecting to join one of the top teams in the Western Conference. The Blazers were coming off of a 48-win season and Crawford turned down larger offers from other teams because he wanted to join a contender.

This season, things haven’t gone quite as planned in Portland. The Blazers hold the fifth-worst record in the conference and have started to rebuild. They fired head coach Nate McMillan and traded away veterans such as Gerald Wallace and Marcus Camby. Portland currently sits at 27-31 with little hope of making the playoffs.

“It’s frustrating, especially after the way we started the season,” Crawford told HOOPSWORLD. “We started 7-2 and we were one of the top seeds in the West a few weeks into the season. When you have that kind of success early, every loss after that is pretty dramatic. If we came into the season playing.500 basketball, it wouldn’t have been talked about as much. People would have said, ‘Oh, they lost Brandon [Roy], Greg [Oden] is hurt and they have a lot of new guys.’ But, with the way we started out, expectations were high. Playing .500 since then has been frustrating and that’s why all of the changes happened. Whenever you lose and fail to live up to expectations, anything can happen. We saw that at the trade deadline with a lot of players being dealt and then with Coach McMillan getting fired.”

This isn’t what Crawford expected when he signed with the Blazers four months ago. This summer, he’s expected to opt-out and become an unrestricted free agent, according to sources close to the situation.

“If I opt-out, I think it’ll be really cool to have a traditional free agency,” Crawford said. “Last year, everything was so rushed. A lot of people didn’t even think we’d have a season and then, all of sudden, everything was thrown together. It happened so fast. If I choose to opt-out, this year will be much different and more traditional.”

At the trade deadline, Crawford thought he was going to be dealt. He was mentioned in many different trade rumors and was shocked when the Blazers didn’t move him.

“I was surprised,” Crawford said. “It was weird, seeing my name in so many trade rumors. I was thinking, ‘Okay, I’m sure I’ll be traded.’ My name was just out there too much. I was talking to my agent and there were so many rumors. Then, I talked to our general manager, Chad Buchanan, when the deadline approached. He said, ‘You’re not going anywhere. We really like you. It was never a personal thing.’ My name was out there in discussions, but a lot of it had to do with the opt-out. If I opt-out, I could walk away and they wouldn’t get anything in return. That had a lot to do with the rumors.”

One team that expressed interest in Crawford last offseason and at the trade deadline is the Minnesota Timberwolves. They would love to start Crawford at shooting guard and they believe he’d thrive in Rick Adelman’s system. If Crawford decides to opt-out, expect the Timberwolves to pursue him this summer.

“Anything is possible in the future,” Crawford said. “Minnesota was a team that I almost signed with before I decided to come to Portland. I’m sure the interest is still there. I’ve always been a fan of Coach Adelman and how he goes about things. That’s a little ways away though. We’ll see what happens this summer. Right now, I’m just focused on Portland and trying to get as many wins as possible before the season is over.”

This season, Crawford has experienced success despite playing fewer minutes than in recent years. He is averaging 13.3 points in 26.6 minutes. In six games as a starter, Crawford averaged 19.5 points, 4.5 assists and 3.3 rebounds. He is also leading the NBA in free-throw percentage, making 92.8 percent of his attempts. While Crawford has proven that he can be an effective sixth man in the NBA, he’ll likely look for a starting job if he tests free agency this summer.

“One thing I’ve noticed in the last few years is that it’s a lot easier to start than it is to come off of the bench,” Crawford said. “When you start, you have a lot more control. I can settle down and play my game. Off the bench, I come in and feel like I have to make something happen. When you’re coming off the bench, you’re a hired gun who has to come in and score. When you start, you can pick and choose your spots and take your time. Going into the summer, that’s definitely something I’m going to consider. I’m not saying that I’m not willing to come off the bench, but my preference is to start.”

Despite the Blazers’ struggles this season, Crawford has shown his versatility by playing multiple positions and roles. This summer, he’ll likely test free agency and be one of the top scorers on the market.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-crawford-expected-to-opt-out

2. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

doesn't really sound like whining to me at all. Maybe I'm misreading it? I dunno.

3. SlyPokerDog

Traffic is down to this site 28% over last year so Denny has asked me to make as many misleading thread titles as possible. The more inflammatory the more you guys love it!

4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Whine some more bitch, we don't like you either. Get the fuck out!!

5. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

Not surprising - it's very reflective of your posts. :lol:

Considering that the Portland board is sooo huge here, I'm thinking of posters that may be gone. Who left? Mixum would be a part of the decrease. Anyone else?

6. SlyPokerDog

I still have much to learn.

http://gawker.com/5900710

7. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

8. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Show Crawford the door. I liked the signing when we made it. I felt like I knew his game and he'd be a great spark off the bench. Little did I know that he's a diva thats never met a shot he didn't like. For every great shot he makes 5 horrible shots. There's a reason he's bounced around the NBA as much as he has.

9. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

ditto.

This is one thing fans have vastly overlooked about this season. The players really were not prepared, their fault or not.

10. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I hope Minnesota signs him. He and Stat Beast can fight over shots.

11. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Wow.

12. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

He also shot 47% from the field, 44% from 3, and had a 2-1 A/TO ratio.

Wonder if he would have been able to do that over the full season.

13. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

Heh..

14. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    At 92% he should drive to the basket more, especially since he misses so much outside. Coach should have him do that. And he should start.

15. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

This is a good thing. It guarantees he will opt out.

16. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Please opt out, please opt out, please opt out............

17. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

i havent bothered to look it up yet, what are the deadlines for his opting in/out?

18. Drttimmy

Drttimmy Well-Known Member

I think he choose his words carefully here. He probably does feel jilted by the team/city, and vice versa. I'd like to see Eliot Williams in his role next year, the designated offensive spark off the bench. Actually, I wanted to see that this year, and was disappointed we signed Crawford for that very reason. Oh well, year delayed, modus operandi for this team.

19. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

FOOL. That's what we want!

20. Carlito

Carlito Suspended

What's sad is he's not kidding about the site going downhill and losing posters/viewers.