Thread: Hickson wants to stay in PDX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. TOP #1
    ChadWick is developing a reputation ChadWick's Avatar Portland's All-Star

Default Hickson wants to stay in PDX

J.J. Hickson says he would like to stay in Portland, and enjoys playing here. I'm glad, hopefully price is right and we can keep him here!

“I can't get wrapped up in all of that. My agent will handle the business side,” Hickson told CSNNW.com. “I do want to let them know that I want to be here, but I'm just going to continue playing basketball.”
    “I had a tough season in Sacramento,” Hickson said. “It was just different over there. There were a lot of things that factored into my play, but I could have done the same thing over there if I had the chance.”

I've been solid during my professional career and I don't expect that to change.”
    Full Article
    http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingbl...46&feedID=5212
    Last edited by ChadWick; 04-12-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Want a Custom Avatar, Sig, or Wall? Request One Here

2. TOP #2
    Shooter is becoming well known Shooter is becoming well known Shooter is becoming well known Shooter is becoming well known Shooter's Avatar Unanimously Great

Default Re: Hickson wants to stay in PDX

Hickson was a fantastic mid-season pickup, and we got him for nothing. Along with our two lottery picks, he is one of the biggest reasons we have a bright future.
    Last edited by Shooter; 04-12-2012 at 11:27 AM.

3. TOP #3

Yeah I really like him, he's a mini Aldridge in a way, plays similar but different lol and they work nicely together

4. TOP #4
    PtldPlatypus is influencing people PtldPlatypus is influencing people PtldPlatypus is influencing people PtldPlatypus is influencing people PtldPlatypus is influencing people PtldPlatypus is influencing people PtldPlatypus is influencing people PtldPlatypus is influencing people PtldPlatypus is influencing people PtldPlatypus is influencing people PtldPlatypus is influencing people PtldPlatypus's Avatar Fan Reason Advocate

Yep, I'm one of many who's pretty stoked about an Aldridge-Hickson frontcourt combo for the next few years. Solid pair. Not Gasol-Bynum by any means, but definitely has a shot to be one of the top tandems in the league.

5. TOP #5

Quote Originally Posted by PtldPlatypus View Post
    Yep, I'm one of many who's pretty stoked about an Aldridge-Hickson frontcourt combo for the next few years. Solid pair. Not Gasol-Bynum by any means, but definitely has a shot to be one of the top tandems in the league.
    Agreed. Bright future, both work well together w/ having same and also different strengths, a very versatile frontcourt!

6. TOP #6
    magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661's Avatar B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

I think Aldridge can play center and create a lot of havoc. Hickson is definitely a solid rebounder and scorer in the post. I think the combo is great!

7. TOP #7
    BoBoBREWSKI is making friends BoBoBREWSKI is making friends BoBoBREWSKI is making friends BoBoBREWSKI is making friends BoBoBREWSKI is making friends BoBoBREWSKI is making friends BoBoBREWSKI's Avatar BURP!

Love me some JJ!

8. TOP #8

Hickson will shop his services and sign with the team that offers him the most money. Blazers have the advanatage of being able to match, but I doubt the fact that Hickson wants to stay in Ptd will have much effect on who he decides to sign a contract with.

9. TOP #9
    Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man's Avatar Mr. SportsTwo

I like Hickson as well, but I really hope we aren't seeing a player simply beasting for a contract.

10. TOP #10
    Ed O is becoming well known Ed O is becoming well known Ed O is becoming well known Ed O is becoming well known Ed O's Avatar Administrator

I love what Hickson's brought, and I think that the dearth of quality big men has been a problem for years (often exacerbated by injuries, of course).

He's young, he's got a reasonable track record, and he'll probably be cheap.

What's not to like?

Ed O.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." -- Sandy Koufax

##

Stalk me on my blog.

11. TOP #11
    mook has statements worth reading mook has statements worth reading mook has statements worth reading mook has statements worth reading mook has statements worth reading mook has statements worth reading mook has statements worth reading mook has statements worth reading mook's Avatar Olshey Stashing Assets

Hickson and Aldridge have started only one game together so far: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...204010POR.html
    41 points, 17 rebounds is pretty good production from your starting bigs. But it was the T-Wolves.

Assuming Aldridge comes back this season, the only thing worth watching on this team is to see how those two play off each other, particularly on the defensive end. Hickson is a little short for a starting PF, but he's also very strong.

On offense I have no doubt they can put up points.

12. TOP #12

Quote Originally Posted by Ed O View Post
    I love what Hickson's brought, and I think that the dearth of quality big men has been a problem for years (often exacerbated by injuries, of course).

He's young, he's got a reasonable track record, and he'll probably be cheap.

What's not to like?

Ed O.
    I don't think he is going to be cheap.

13. TOP #13
    Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man's Avatar Mr. SportsTwo

Quote Originally Posted by Treaty_of_Batum View Post
    I don't either

14. TOP #14
    magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661 is influencing people magnifier661's Avatar B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Like give an example? Are you talking 9-10 mil PER?

15. TOP #15
    jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk has several friends jlprk's Avatar The ESPN mod is insane.

Hickson's value to us derives from Aldridge not playing an inside power game like Hickson. The reason they play differently is the NBA coaches they have had. If we get a more normal coach, he'll develop more Hicksons for the price of our draft pick each time.

This isn't rocket science. Get a coach without a weird system and we won't be so stoked by a normal PF.
    This week's favorites:
    He is literate and Blazer fans appreciate him IMO. Robin has found a home in my book.

You understand it's ok to think before you type right?

I don't try to rile people. I am only here to educate them and share with them the wealth of my long and uniquely experienced life.

Word the rain storms in the durty are boss. Flash floods then all the sudden clear sky and rainbows. Reminds me of kingspeeds posting style.

Sorry for the inadvertent typo above. My cat walked across the keyboard and I didn’t realize she commented on the story too.

16. TOP #16
    Ed O is becoming well known Ed O is becoming well known Ed O is becoming well known Ed O is becoming well known Ed O's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre Man View Post
    I don't either
    Any team could have traded for him (presumably for almost anything) earlier this year. I don't think that (m)any teams will suddenly have a significantly higher opinion of him because of a couple good months on a mediocre Blazers team.

Ed O.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." -- Sandy Koufax

##

Stalk me on my blog.

17. TOP #17

Quote Originally Posted by magnifier661 View Post
    Like give an example? Are you talking 9-10 mil PER?
    At a minumum the MLE for the max amount of time, because many teams can offer that.

Apparently many teams are also under the cap so if money is being dished out this summer (which I think it will be), I see somewhere between 7-9. Not knowing team's situations and with the new CBA in effect, that is rough guess on my part, but I see overpaying going on this summer after the big names are off the table and include Hickson and Batum being in that batch.
    Last edited by Treaty_of_Batum; 04-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.

18. TOP #18
    HailBlazers is making friends HailBlazers is making friends HailBlazers is making friends HailBlazers is making friends HailBlazers is making friends HailBlazers is making friends HailBlazers's Avatar No Pity In The Rose City

I doubt the fact that Hickson wants to stay in Ptd will have much effect on who he decides to sign a contract with.
    Disagree, he's gotten more of a spotlight here in Portland than anywhere he's been. It's obvious he likes it and wants more.

19. TOP #19

Any team could have traded for him (presumably for almost anything) earlier this year. I don't think that (m)any teams will suddenly have a significantly higher opinion of him because of a couple good months on a mediocre Blazers team.

Ed O.

I would agree if he didn't also have some good seasons on the Cavs also. He is a 17/9 guy that will give you a little over 50% shooting from the field, a PER somewhere in the mid to high teens, and so far hasn't shown a knack for the injury bug.

I guess by cheap, I think he will command around 8-10 a year, which I don't think is cheap. It's also not ridiculous either

20. TOP #20
    BLAZINGGIANTS has several friends BLAZINGGIANTS has several friends BLAZINGGIANTS has several friends BLAZINGGIANTS has several friends BLAZINGGIANTS has several friends BLAZINGGIANTS has several friends BLAZINGGIANTS has several friends BLAZINGGIANTS has several friends BLAZINGGIANTS's Avatar MVP Winner

Ed O.
    I don't either. That being said, it seems his time in Sacto was more an aberration than the mean. He's a solid ballplayer, and he had been improving every year until the Sacto experience, and I think teams will take that into consideration. I could see him commanding at minimum $6-8 million, but I expect more, personally. Teams overspend big for quality big men.

And his time in Portland isn't just a flash in the pan. It could be said it's part of his continued trend of improvement with his growing experience in the league.

21. TOP #21

Ed O.
    What's your guess on how much he will get offered?

22. TOP #22

I would agree if he didn't also have some good seasons on the Cavs also. He is a 17/9 guy that will give you a little over 50% shooting from the field, a PER somewhere in the mid to high teens, and so far hasn't shown a knack for the injury bug.

I guess by cheap, I think he will command around 8-10 a year, which I don't think is cheap. It's also not ridiculous either
    If he is gonna give you a 17/9 and high teen PER; then 10 mil isn't expensive at all. If you can get a 20+ PER from Aldridge at Center and 17 PER from Hickson. That would give you a 40 point, 17 rebound per game @ 50% FG for your starting front court. Only Gasol and Bynum would give you better stats. But if Aldridge is making 13 mil and Hickson makes 10 = 23 mil per season; Bynum 16 mil and Gasol 18 mil are making 34 mil per season.

23. TOP #23

Quote Originally Posted by magnifier661 View Post
    If he is gonna give you a 17/9 and high teen PER; then 10 mil isn't expensive at all. If you can get a 20+ PER from Aldridge at Center and 17 PER from Hickson. That would give you a 40 point, 17 rebound per game @ 50% FG for your starting front court. Only Gasol and Bynum would give you better stats. But if Aldridge is making 13 mil and Hickson makes 10 = 23 mil per season; Bynum 16 mil and Gasol 18 mil are making 34 mil per season.

I didn't say it was

24. TOP #24
    glazeduck is developing a reputation Minor League Stand Out

I like Hickson as well, but I really hope we aren't seeing a player simply beasting for a contract.
    We absolutely are.

Their names are Raymond Felton and Jamal Crawford.

25. TOP #25

Quote Originally Posted by glazeduck View Post
    We absolutely are.

Their names are Raymond Felton and Jamal Crawford.
    Ha. That is some sad beasting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information