Dream scenario

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by CohanHater, Apr 27, 2012.

1. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Warriors ball gets picked; jump into the 2nd spot
    Draft Kidd-Gilchrist
    Miami chokes against NY (I think Miami takes the title this year)
    Make this trade (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7r9av4e)
    Sign Steve Nash in free agency

All horribly unrealistic, but now that our season's over, we gotta dream a bit. 1st step, the coin toss.

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Myers and West have both indicated the team is going to go after more size and rebounding. We can assume the other major holes on the roster right now are a backup PG (given Curry's injury history) and SF. We have the MLE and the #7 pick as our key tools to fill those holes. Most likely we can only fill two of those three holes and we'll have to work with what is already on the roster for the last hole. There are a lot of possible scenarios, but the draft appears to be the determinant of what we do later in free agency.

So who do we draft at 7? I'd be fine with Harrison Barnes. He struggled with Kendall Marshall out but should benefit from playing around NBA talent and better NBA spacing. Hes a nice prototypical 3 and can create a quality shot for himself when he wants it, a quality we are in need of. Other options here are Jared Sullinger, John Henson, Terrence Jones. I'd stay away from T. Zeller and P. Jones.

If Davis, Drummond, MKG, Robinson, and Beal go top 5 as expected, that leaves Sullinger or Barnes as the likely 6th pick. Should Barnes be taken I think we may be looking at a Sullinger vs Henson decision. I like Sullinger but he is pretty damn unathletic. Could drop more weight leading up to the draft a la Kevin Love/Big Baby. We could use low post scoring, girth, and rebounding, but hes not going to help our lack of defense and athleticism. I disliked John Henson because he reminded me so much of B. Wright, but he grew on me this season. Hes a much better shotblocker and rebounder than Wright and he was showing off a mid-range jumper that Wright was never able to hit. Likely projects as a role player, possibly a Camby type. He would provide great athleticism, tremendous length, shot blocking presence, ability to finish down low. He could play alongside either Lee or Bogut.

If Sullinger's upside is a Z-Bo/Al Jefferson/Millsap type of undersized, unathletic, girthy scoring big who rebounds but doesn't play defense and Henson's is a Camby type of role player who'll never be a great scorer but gives you great height/length and defense who do you pick? Henson projects as the prototype of who we want coming off the bench, but do you pass up a Z-Bo/Al Jeff to get a defensive role player? Seems like a Udoh/Monroe conundrum all over again. I want the Udoh guy with Lee/Bogut but the scoring big likely has more value and who's to say Lee is the long term answer as our starting 4 anyway?

Terrence Jones is intriguing but I'd probably rule him out. Could you justify taking him above Barnes and Sullinger who seem to be clearly better prospects? His ability to play SF is a big question mark and he doesn't show off much perimeter skill at this point. I like his tools but at 7 you're going to have options with fewer question marks.

Looking at free agency, you're probably not going to find much better SF options than DW/Rush/Jefferson for MLE money. Ideally Barnes is there at 7, you dump DW, let either Rush or Jefferson start and Barnes can be a reserve 2/3.

There are some interesting PG options in FA. We have Jenkins who looks alright but given Curry's health I think you may want to look for someone even better who you trust to run the team. Andre Miller, Goran Dragic, and Kirk Hinrich are unrestricted. Rockets probably can't keep Dragic with Lowry under contract, hes young and will get a decent contract. Miller and Hinrich could be really nice bargain pick ups though. Both are too old to get any sizable contracts and most likely neither will be offered a starting job.

As far as PF/C there's some decent options but I reckon most would get better money and more playing time elsewhere. Odom, Turiaf, Kwame Brown, Camby, Maxiel, Mahinmi, Kenyon Martin are all UFA options. You have to choose whether you want a true C as insurance for Bogut or a 4/5 type who can play with both Bogut and Lee.

Dream scenario is probably getting Barnes at 7, signing Odom, and somehow landing Andre Miller/Hinrich on a vet minimum deal. This would get us the best overall talent, though it doesn't solve our lack of athleticism and defense all that well. Getting Barnes, Andre Miller, and even a Turiaf/Mahinmi would have me really excited too though. If Barnes isn't there then you pick between Sullinger/Henson, try your luck at Gerald Wallace/Jeff Green/Odom in free agency, if you strikeout then maybe you look to throw some money at quality PG options (Dragic?).

3. CohanHater

Enterprise Architect
    Assuming we don't jump into the top 2. I think you do whatever possible to jump up and get Kidd-Gilchrist (Perhaps package all the picks together along with Wright), se-sign Rush and fill the bench with vets.

4. Run BJM

Watching the Celtics-Hawks game right now. Would you guys trade Curry and the 7 for Rondo?

Guy is fuggin sick.

5. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Jeff Green sounds like a great fit for getting playing time between the SF and PF spot, but isn't out with a heart problem?

Sounds like a risky signing, although I'd be happy to have Turiaf back even after his heart surgery. The guy is awesome.

I've always been a fan of Kirk Hinrich, but Goran Dragic just sounds cool to have. He's a pretty exciting player.

Do you think Mehmet Okur is still good to go or is he washed up? I've always liked the fact he could post up or shoot from outside, plus he rebounds. Greg Oden sounds interesting, but who wants to pay him anything for doing nothing but sit on the pine. I was happy with Kwame Brown's game before he got injured. A 270 lb guy who is mobile and can play defense would be a good pickup. I'm wondering why we couldn't pick up that one center from the Jazz. Fesenko was it?

6. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Best FA C out there next year? Mahinmi. I've always like his footwork and soft touch. He goes to the rim hard and can make FTs. Really doubt the Mavs let him go.

7. Run BJM

I'm a proponent of signing Okur. He could come very cheap coming off of multiple injuries and being how old he is. Can play next to Lee or Bogut and would fill in nice if Bogut got injured. That said why wouldn't a team like Miami or OKC get him if he were that cheap?

Mahinmi would be a nice target. I think Kwame is going to be a little out of our price range. For all the crap he gets teams know hes a major space eater, pretty good rebounder, and hes really quite good at manhandling big C's. There were a lot of teams in on the bidding (including Miami) last season before we dropped 7 mils on him lol.

8. CohanHater

Enterprise Architect
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Brown sign. He got along really well with the staff, and a 1 year deal would setup a potential huge deal for him in 2 seasons.

Green would be worth the risk, as well. I think it all depends where we pick. If we jump into the top 3, then swapping 2 picks to move up to get Kidd-Gilchrist is a no-brainer. Otherwise, i say keep Rush and McGuire and look to bring in the most athletic value add players around (look at the 6ers roster for an idea).

I see Turiaf staying in Miami. If not here, I could see him going back to LA for either team down there.

9. Custodianrules2

I'm excited about next year if the warriors can avoid the injuries to key players and add a good bench. The warriors have quite some talent at the 4 and 5 spot with some offensive punch, as either big can hit from 20 feet, pass the ball inside and out, and can create their own offense. Plus, they got great hands, great footwork, they rebound well, and they can score from either sides of the post with either hand. Bogut is a good defender too. If Bogut and Lee stay healthy and we end up adding a franchise level player of Dwayne Wade or Derrick Rose proportions the Warriors could get to the Western Conference finals or even have a chance at the championship. Okay, maybe jumping the gun a bit, but the warriors have some great stuff on paper and the young backcourt looks like a good group to me. Also, we can switch out Rush or get a SF in the draft for that complete starting 5 man group

10. Run BJM

Warriors keep their #7 pick. Ford says he hears they like Sullinger and probably wouldn't "reach" on PJIII.

11. Run BJM

Per TK:
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...isions-and-an-uncompromising-lottery-outcome/

Ford also seemed to say as much. T. Jones is an interesting prospect but hes far from being a true SF right now. If they think he'll put in the work to improve his handle he could be a nice SF. Hes a load, he'll get very physical in the paint and he finishes strong even from a standstill under the rim.

12. Run BJM

BTW how about the Bogut trade in retrospect?

Monta and Udoh for Bogut, RJ, #7, #30.

13. Custodianrules2

14. Run BJM

There's speculation that GS could make a play for Charlotte's #2 pick. They need a ton of talent, they're having trouble getting prospects to come to Charlotte to work out, and Curry is a big deal over there. Would you guys do Curry/#7 for the #2? Seems like too much to give in this draft, where the difference between who is there at 2 and who is there at 7 isn't all that much. Curry looks better than most of these guys, though he does have the injury issues.

I'd definitely consider Curry straight up for the #2 (or Curry and our lower picks).

15. Custodianrules2

Wow, that's tough. I've sort of seen Steph Curry as a Steve Nash type of player who will get even better as he gets older... but seeing that Michael Kidd-Gilchrist guy is making me consider it.

16. Custodianrules2

Actually, keep I'd keep Curry. I think we should draft the best available player that could fill in for an injured guy. Lilliard to back Curry. Drumond to back Bogut. Thomas Robinson to back David Lee. Beal/Jeremy Lamb for shooting guard. Lots of good small forward prospects that could be around for 7.

17. Run BJM

I find myself flip flopping daily, but ultimately I agree with all of this. Obviously our biggest long term hole is SF, but this roster has bigger issues than specifically looking for an SF of the future. We actually have a ton of depth at that position. Our biggest holes are a lack of a superstar player, 3rd big man, backup/insurance PG. With that said, drafting the BPA should help one of those areas of need. If you think Lillard is a stud, take him. If Robinson falls or they think Sullinger is BPA, take him. If they think P. Jones or Austin Rivers or Jeremy Lamb is going to be a star player, take them.

18. CohanHater

Enterprise Architect
    If the front office were to deal Curry, I'd expect another deal to pick up another point guard. Or maybe use the MLE on a guy like Andre Miller?

Personally, I see Klay as the more likely trade bait in the jump forward. He plays a position that can be easily filled in the later rounds and through the MLE. Assuming you can move Klay and #7 and jump up to the #2 pick, then you really start thinking.

19. i hate the warriors

i hate the warriors Slingboxing from LONDON

after two years of "curry or monta" we can't just get rid of both of them all of a sudden. if we can pick up another top tier PG, then maybe...but why get rid of an effective NBA starter for another project? granted, being on the other side of the world, i don't have much time to watch NCAA hoops, so maybe i'm missing something huge. but to me, the only question mark about curry right now is his durability...if the team knows something we don't, then that has to be taken into consideration, but if we think he can stay healthy we have to ride it out. we can truly draft the best player available this year....yeah, we need a good SF, but we could honestly use quality depth at any position. if we can stay healthy, we might be able to flirt with .500 this year. who knows? that's a big "if."

20. CohanHater

Enterprise Architect
    You're right. The option would be for a total remake. It all depends on how good you think MKG may be, or how much of a risk Curry is. You're assuming that it was Curry or Monta, what if it was neither in their mind?

If the front office isn't in love with Curry, then I could see them make a play for Nash, move up and get Gillchrist. It's just a shame that they didn't Amnest Biedrins, cause they'd have a TON of flexibility had they done so.