Carl Landry and Brandon Rush agree to a identical 2-year deals

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by truebluefan, Jul 30, 2012.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
  2. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Re: Warriors and Carl Landry has agreed to a 2-year deal

Curry // Jenkins
    Thompson // Jack / Benzemore
    Rush // Barnes / Green / Jefferson
    Lee // Landry / Tyler
    Bogut // Biedrins / Ezili

Not a bad roster. It's pretty deep with basketball players. Not going to challenge for a title anytime soon, but it should be a competitive team nightly. I'll miss McGuire for sure. I hope he lands somewhere out east where he can give Miami some headaches

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Really like the signing. Landry was the best FA left. Really nice third big. Hell of a scorer, though he lacks in defense.

Wow look at that depth. Jack and Landry are great off the bench.

BTW they're supposedly still talking with McGuire. Landry, Rush, and McGuire all have the same agent.

4. i hate the warriors

i hate the warriors Slingboxing from LONDON

i was happy to hear about this deal. as has been said, this isn't going to push us into the next echelon, but he is a high quality bench player. already looking forward to this season wayyy more than last year.

5. Run BJM

Brandon Rush signs identical 2 year, 8 mil deal with a second year player option:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222716/Brandon_Rush_Agrees_To_$8M_Deal_With_Warriors

Love our depth.

6. CohanHater

Enterprise Architect
    After letting it set in a bit, I'm worried about the youth of the bench. Realistically, the bench is 3 deep without McGuire. The rest are question marks or in the case of Biedrins, a known non-asset

7. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

IF, IF, Bogut and Curry are healthy, that is finally a true basketball team that will do important stuff, like defend and rebound and get points inside. No more gimmicky small ball. I love it.

8. Run BJM

Our bench will consist of Jack, Landry, RJ/Rush (depends who starts), and Barnes with Jenkins and Biedrins getting spot minutes.

The burning question right now is who starts at SF? I like Rush the best as we could use a defensive impact player amongst Curry/Klay/Lee. However one could argue that he should stay on the bench because thats where he excelled last season, he can backup SG and SF, and if hes the starter all year it makes it very likely that he opts out and leaves next season.

RJ looked alright during our tank brigade IMO. I think he threw up some crappy shots that he wouldn't take if not for the team being so decimated by injury. He can shoot it and drive opportunistically and hes an ok defender. Dunno if any of the above is enough for me to justify starting him over Rush though.

Barnes looks like a hell of a shooter in SL, but I see no reason to rush him. He has a lot to learn on defense, and his gunner mentality would be more useful off the bench than in the starting lineup. I don't think its out of the question that he earns the starting job this season but I'd keep him on the bench until hes really proven himself, a la Klay.

9. CohanHater

Enterprise Architect
    Couldn't agree more. Which means that RJ, Jack, and Landry are the only known commodities. I just have a hard time thinking that 1 rookie is going to come in and contribute to a winning team let alone 3. It might be a long season

10. Run BJM

How big does our rotation need to be though? Jack, Landry, and RJ/Rush give us a solid 8 and Barnes will likely vie for any remaining minutes (as well as minutes in the top 8). At this point I don't see the other rookies getting much burn.

11. NOVoodoo

NOVoodoo Kickin it in 2525

As a Michigan State fan, I have to read between the line on the Landry signing and assume that this means the Warriors don't have much faith in Draymond Green, a fellow undersized power forward.

I saw him in summer league action, and even against the caliber of players he played against at Michigan State, he struggled to find a niche, and that worries me.

I see that Cohanhater's depth chart has him projected as a 3. To be honest, I'm not sure what sort of offense you guys run these days, because there is only so much basketball a fan can watch outside of your own team's play, so I don't watch too much GSW, but I'd assume with Jackson in tow, you guys have departed from Nelson's small ball. Where does Draymond really fit into your scheme with your current philosphy? He's surely versatile enough to hit the mid-range jumper, and he's an amazing passer with an overall high basketball IQ, but he really lacks NBA athleticism, which is very important for a player trying to break the rotation on the wing.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  12. Run BJM

Welcome back Voodoo.

I think everyone likes Draymond Green, but there is definite concern about whether he can stick in the league. I think you'd like to put him at PF, but he came in under 6'6 w/o shoes, probably roughly 6'7 in shoes. That's not necessarily a death sentence for PFs in today's NBA, but at 236 lbs. with below average athleticism its hard to imagine him hanging with athletic 6'8-6'11 250 pounders.

As far as his chances at SF, he's slow as hell but I don't think its out of the question that he can stick there. He had 11.3% body fat at the combine, so he could probably lose some weight and get down to 225-230 lbs. His handle is well below average for a 3, hard to see him ever getting it up to par. That said, he can shoot the ball and he seemed to have his way with guys his size on the block.

I'd look to guys like Jared Dudley and Ryan Gomes who made similar transitions from college to the NBA. They were very good college PFs, relatively unathletic, too small for PF and too slow/unskilled for the perimeter. Both finally settled into being more 3's than 4's, but only once they adjusted their range to the NBA 3. I expect Green to have a similar role in the NBA. He might be the best rebounder of the bunch, and is certainly the best passer. However its hard to see him being much more than a marginal role player.

13. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

If you're slow and undersized (but make up for it with hustle, good skills and good decision-making) that might be enough to hang in the league. Just ask Brian Cardinal :)