Ricky Williams is done

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Glenso1188, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Glenso1188

Glenso1188 nfl-*****s member

2. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

Like barry sanders did to the lions, ricky bailed on his team. He could of least gave them notice so they could replace him thru the draft or free agency. Sorry beef,dale,blackadder this is a slap in the face to you as fans.

3. Bleedblk&gld

Bleedblk&gld The Drive

Ha. Haslett made an excellent move. Barry Sanders is the best runningback ever to touch a football. The Lions are lucky to even have him in their franchise.

4. Philly_Freak93

Philly_Freak93 The Oracle

Ha, Andy Reid made a better move than Hasslett, he didnt draft him and took criticism for the first season.

im not really suprised he retired, i mean the guy was a different person, hes traveling asia for 6 months. its a shame he had hall of fame potential. 6000+ yards in 5 seasons.

5. Fugazi

Fugazi nfl-*****s member

"I'm finally free," he said. Wow. If that's the way he felt about the game, I guess he made the right decision.

6. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Glenso1188)</div><div class='quotemain'>I really didnt see this coming. Retiring at the age of 27 and couldnt be at a worse time for the dolphins. No ricky, no playoffs again. http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/</div>

Nobody saw this coming except Ricky & glad he decided to call his own shots. I do not blame Ricky at all. I, too, have wanted to toss everything and retire, but life gets in the way.

Lets be honest. Wannstedt means no playoffs period. Ricky, at least, was a beacon of hope. Drugs aside; I wonder how much of a burden it was for Ricky to be the man i.e. carry the franchise only to have poor coaching decisions negate everything you've done.

7. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bucs40etrain)</div><div class='quotemain'>Like barry sanders did to the lions, ricky bailed on his team. He could of least gave them notice so they could replace him thru the draft or free agency. Sorry beef,dale,blackadder this is a slap in the face to you as fans.</div>

I do not take this as a slap in the face. I found it shocking for a moment or two but can only wish the best to Ricky.

However, I would have paid large amounts to see Wanny's expression and hope he is feeling some of the torment that he caused phins fans to feel over the past two years.

8. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bleedblk&gld)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ha. Haslett made an excellent move. Barry Sanders is the best runningback ever to touch a football. The Lions are lucky to even have him in their franchise.</div>

At least, Ricky retired for himself. I still question why Barry did.

9. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

Wow, I have to say I was shocked last night when I read this headline. The rumor mill says the Dolphins are scrambling to acquire another running back. I heard they were making a play at Anthony Thomas of the Bears. What are you hearing BA?

10. Philly_Freak93

Philly_Freak93 The Oracle

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steelerfan_2004)</div><div class='quotemain'>I heard they were making a play at Anthony Thomas of the Bears. What are you hearing BA?</div>

do u have a link? thats a big outrageous because who would take a-trains spot? if they go after any big name in a trade, i would think Travis Henry because he will be leaving after the season, hes already said he doesnt want to come back because of the slap in the face, and the bills could get some compensation for him.

11. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

The Bears signed Thomas Jones and they believe that he will fit into their offense better than A-train. They are going to implement more of a Rams-type offense and Thomas is too big to fit that scheme. I don't have the link, but if I find it, I'll post it.

12. McNabb5

McNabb5 nfl-*****s member

a hint of his social anxiety disorder?...ricky also said he was tired of living by the rules of society..also, could it have had to do with drugs?....he has tested positive twice, and they can really mess with ur mind

13. Thoth

I hadn't heard about the A train to Miami but it makes sense. I doubt Miami would be willing to make a trade w/ the Bills for T Henry. I will go so far to say that McGahee will have good enough season that TH will be come an FA and sign w/ Miami just for spite alone.

Miami is quite high on Leonard Henry - a low round pick a few yrs back. He & Travis Minor will probably rotate.

The 2 rookie FA's they signed might be a factor (Works from Oklahoma & Russell from Iowa).

As far as the Social anxiety disorder, I am sure it played a role. For those of you familar w/ the Myers Briggs type indicator (everyone falls into 1 of 16 personality types), Ricky was a strong introvert like yours truly and found it exhausting to be in the spotlight.

I believe RW said he was tired of the confinement that comes w/ being an NFL player. Drugs, I'm sure, played a role but don't think it was a big as the media will make it.

This decision was primarily a personal & psychological decision rather than a pharmaceutical one.

14. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

good p[oint MC..... but i beleive he did the right thing!!
    He has made millions of dollars and now he even gets to use the money he earned!! We all know that football -players have no life and i wouldve done the same exact thing

15. nflfan04

nflfan04 Dazed and Confused

i think he did the right thing. if you dont like the game, get out. but it might cost him thye hall of fame.. he may get in because he did have 6000 yrds in 5 seasons. im sorry to any dolphins fans, w/ him you mightcve had a playoff spot this year... i dont see one for a while now

16. J-E-T-S 1083

J-E-T-S 1083 The Original Jets Junkie

blackadder i'm glad your not ripping Ricky like other Phins fans i know. I agree if he said Wow i'm free, he should have left. I wish him all the best, i really dont think he cared about the Hall of Fame, he just wants to have a life. He must have hated being in the spotlight so much, and his disorder made it worse. Also i'm kinda happy cause now the Phins suck and the Jets can do better this year!!

17. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steelerfan_2004)</div><div class='quotemain'>The Bears signed Thomas Jones and they believe that he will fit into their offense better than A-train. They are going to implement more of a Rams-type offense and Thomas is too big to fit that scheme. I don't have the link, but if I find it, I'll post it.</div>

How's this trade? Keep in mind, Its strictly something bA's warped mind came up. Ogunleye to the Bears (who hve expressed some interesst in AO) to the Dolphins for Anthony Thomas and a 4th rounder.

18. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (J-E-T-S 1083)</div><div class='quotemain'>blackadder i'm glad your not ripping Ricky like other Phins fans i know. I agree if he said Wow i'm free, he should have left. I wish him all the best, i really dont think he cared about the Hall of Fame, he just wants to have a life. He must have hated being in the spotlight so much, and his disorder made it worse. Also i'm kinda happy cause now the Phins suck and the Jets can do better this year!!</div>

Hey buddy for the record this isnt abou the fans only. Its the simple fact he quit on his team. 1 week before traning camp. almost the same way that barry did to the lions.

19. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

Actually why doesnt the phins contact vermeil and the chiefs about aquiring larry johnson for ogunleye and maybe a pick? Kc difintley needs defensive players.

20. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

Ricky Williams is a selfish jerk. "Free of football" Yeah, free of the profession which has made him millions of dollars and allows him to live the life of a useless pothead. I'm not buying the crap about him giving all of his money to charity. I saw the MTV episode where he was showing off BOTH of his homes in New Orleans. If he wanted to retire, that's fine, but I have a huge problem with the way he did it. You make your intentions known in January, so that the team can make adjustments, not just for the organization, but for teammates like Junior Seau, who are quickly running out of time to win a championship. Sure, the Patriots should be considered the front runners, but you never know what an NFL season will produce. But, this is all about Ricky and screw his teammates.